SK: Peter Brown VK4PJ

A place to remember those who have become a Silent Key (SK)
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

SK: Peter Brown VK4PJ

Post by VK4TS »

Peter Brown became a silent key on the 8th of May 2013 - He had only recently chalked up the century - he was 100 years old.

Peter was a WIA stalwart, being the national contest manager during the 70~80s. He was behind the introduction of the WIA Contest Trophy, one that was before its time - these days with results of contests able to be produced much more quickly the trophy has been reintroduced in 2012/13 a fitting tribute to his love of the hobby. The trophy bears his name and callsign and will be awarded at the WIA AGM in Perth this year after an absence of some 25 years.

It is believed by his friends that Peter was first licensed in the early 1950’s. There is evidence that he was issued with Amateur Radio licence QA.244 on 12 May 1963 so we can say with some certainty that he has been licensed for well over 50 years.

He received a Meritorious Service Badge in 1978 from the Queensland Divisional Council of the WIA following a sustained effort to bring the Division into a good financial and administrative position with the assistance of his great friend Al Carter VK4LT, now resident on the Sunshine Coast.

Peter also received certificates from QNEWS in 2001 and 2002 for his assistance in this area of the hobby.

His interest in space communication is evidenced by becoming AMSAT Life Member Number 1130 in 1979.

It is believed by his friends that Peter was first licensed in the early 1950’s. There is evidence that he was issued with Amateur Radio licence QA.244 on 12 May 1963 so we can say with some certainty that he has been licensed for well over 50 years.

He received a Meritorious Service Badge in 1978 from the Queensland Divisional Council of the WIA following a sustained effort to bring the Division into a good financial and administrative position with the assistance of his great friend Al Carter VK4LT, now resident on the Sunshine Coast.

Peter also received certificates from QNEWS in 2001 and 2002 for his assistance in this area of the hobby.

His interest in space communication is evidenced by becoming AMSAT Life Member Number 1130 in 1979.

All in all Peter’s contribution to our hobby has been sustained and substantial.

Vale Peter VK4PJ
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK4AFL
Frequent Poster

Re: Peter Brown VK4PJ SK

Post by VK4AFL »

Re Peter VK4PJ it should also be noted that he was a Japanese POW for more than two years & suffered terribly. He was captured somewhere in the Pacific & later was transported by ship to another POW camp in Japan itself. When liberated in 1945 his weight was just 6 stone or 38 kilos. On the ship home he put on 13 kilos. In 1946 he wrote a very long & detailed account about his experiences as a POW which I was privileged to read about 5 years ago when he was aged 95. A great & durable human being who represented old school values at their best. Trevor Benton, VK4AFL, Brisbane.
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

From the WIA Website
http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php

Peter Handley Brown, Balmoral and recently Sylvan Woods. Peter peacefully passed Wednesday May Eighth 2013 at age 100 years. A long time Radio Ham, who will be honoured in perpetuity by the "WIA Contest Champion - VK4PJ Peter Brown Trophy." Peter also was a long-time supporter and member of RAEME. He was an EX-POW in Japan and an engineer in civilian life..

His Daughter, Beth Hobson advised through the RAEME Newsletter that his funeral will be Monday 13 May at 1pm at Mt Gravatt Crematorium Chapel, Mains Road, Macgregor. As an aside the Nominal Roll has Peter as a Captain and National Archives has a Japanese Registration card placing him in command of the AAOC Wksp with HQ Rabaul. He was captured in Rabaul and transported with other Officers & Nurses to Japan for the duration.
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK4OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4OE »

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear of Peter's passing although many of us knew that he has been ailing a bit of recent years.

Peter has been an inspiration to many of us over the years, particularly through his fascination and enthusiasm for taking his amateur radio experiences higher and higher in frequency.

Peter has long been a life member of the Brisbane VHF Group, another forum where he knew many active folk.

I'm really glad that I happened to look just now at this thread on the VK-Logger Forum....I mightn't have known - I'll be really happy to represent the BVHFG there on Monday!

Doug Friend, VK4OE,
President,
Brisbane VHF Group.
YU7EF
Forum Novice

Post by YU7EF »

My sincere condolences to the family and VK ham community for this loss

Remember working Peter on HF many times

R.I.P. dear Peter

Pop, YU7EF