Confused about Digital Modes

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK2LK
Forum Diehard

Re: Confused about Digital Modes

Post by VK2LK »

What would be the practical use for a high speed data mode? We already have the internet for that and its far more reliable than an RF channel is... :)
If u gonna talk the talk then u gotta walk the walk
Not at all. Thats like saying you have to be able to design a radio from the ground up to use one... I have come up with several ideas in the software radio and had friends/team mates code it for me. You may have even seen a few of these projects. I'm far from a fence sitter, thank you very much.. :)
Matt, VK2LK
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

I would not agree with that..

The idea of communicating over a distance came before the radio......the idea then the device..

Same as you had some ideas and others helped you get them going.

Still waiting on some ideas for the everyday use by Amateurs for high speed data..
This would probably also require a direct link.....so very limited in its use..

Maybe if someone could put up a high Orbit Satelite, we could communicate with that direct link to other countries....but that does not look like happening anytime soon...

John
VK2LK
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2LK »

VK2FAK wrote:Still waiting on some ideas for the everyday use by Amateurs for high speed data..
HIgh speed data over RF has already been done many times - There are many modulation methods that can do it, such as OFDM, 256QAM etc etc...
VK2FAK wrote:This would probably also require a direct link..
Yep, hence why the world went to fibre optics or copper for high speed stuff... ;)
Matt, VK2LK
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

All very nice until normal communications are damaged by a bang or a whoosh , that's happened several times recently and the ham fraternity come to the fore

Always a reason to keep a charged battery close by
VK2LK
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2LK »

Alright, what sort of bandwidth would be considered useful? Are we looking at 1 megabit/sec? 100 megabits?

Fast and reliable data requires wide RF bandwidth, which means lots of custom hardware. This means we are no longer in PC + soundcard + off the shelf HAM radio territory...
Matt, VK2LK
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK2CSW wrote:Hi All and thanks for the replies,

I really don't have an application in mind - other than "self education" and "having a play".

It just seems a little odd that in a time where data is all important no-one in the hobby is really showing progress (that I have found) to provide useful data rates.

It seems to me that groups like WICEN, AREC, ARRL etc would need to provide back up data services to ESO's during times of duress - I can't see it being an optional service but required in today's connected world.

I will extract the digit and take Compton's advice and at least have a listen to the WICEN OLIVIA nets - as a starting point.

I guess there is nothing for it but to start digging deeper and actually get some software, oh and finally put a computer of some sort in the shack :)
(You wouldn't think I've worked in IT for most of my life...)

Thanks Again
Nothing heard tonight from any new comers on the 8PM, 3.550 USB WICEN net..
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Nothing heard tonight from any new comers on the 8PM, 3.550 USB WICEN net
80m still too noisy with storm QRN from further south. Should have dropped away by this time in May. Weird weather!

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

You will be very suprised by how well digital modes cope with noise. Signals get through when they are barely auduible and I have 100% decoded signals when I have 10+ noise.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney