Early Warnings database 40-50 MHz

FM Radio Stations and TV Carriers used as Early Warning Indicators
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Early Warnings database 40-50 MHz

Post by ADMIN »

Due to a complete lack of interest (or the usual apathy?), the 40-50 MHz section of the Early Warnings will be removed completely soon.
There doesn't appear to be much point keeping this category once the few remaining ZL TV TXs are QRT.

VK Logger facilities remain on a "Use it - or loose it" basis.
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Re: Early Warnings database 40-50 MHz

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello Adam,
ADMIN wrote:Due to a complete lack of interest (or the usual apathy?), the 40-50 MHz section of the Early Warnings will be removed completely soon.
There doesn't appear to be much point keeping this category once the few remaining ZL TV TXs are QRT.
I would like to lodge a request that this section of the Early Warns not be removed. I see it has been severely stripped out already, including the 49 and 48 MHz TV that is on the air. I realise I am quite possibly a lone voice but I will take what comes.

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK5PJ wrote: I see it has been severely stripped out already, including the 49 and 48 MHz TV that is on the air. I realise I am quite possibly a lone voice but I will take what comes.
Peter, all the E2 TXs that were tagged as QRT were removed.
I don't believe there are any left (are there?), none that we are likely to hear in VK.

All the VK and ZL TXs that have been reported as QRT were progressively removed too.
Some of the ZL TXs were never updated since being originally added many years ago.

The C1 & E2A TXs?
Well, at best, they've always been a guess.
We know there are dozens of them, and we often fool ourselves with audio spectral analysis to measure these things, but who knows which exciter is running at any given time, and how much they drift by.
Therefore it's difficult to determine, with certainty, where the damn things are!
Other than "China".

Having taken an IC-R1500 into China many times in recent years, I can tell you that there weren't any C1s in the major cities such as Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Chengdu, and Nanshan to name the ones I remember.
I could be wrong, but one might reasonably conclude they are out in the "boonies", where it is most unlikely to have a ham on 50 MHz anyway.
Just my own observations.
Leading horses to water since 2005.
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL3MF »

ADMIN wrote:
VK5PJ wrote: I see it has been severely stripped out already, including the 49 and 48 MHz TV that is on the air. I realise I am quite possibly a lone voice but I will take what comes.
Peter, all the E2 TXs that were tagged as QRT were removed.
I don't believe there are any left (are there?), none that we are likely to hear in VK.

All the VK and ZL TXs that have been reported as QRT were progressively removed too.
Some of the ZL TXs were never updated since being originally added many years ago.

The C1 & E2A TXs?
Well, at best, they've always been a guess.
We know there are dozens of them, and we often fool ourselves with audio spectral analysis to measure these things, but who knows which exciter is running at any given time, and how much they drift by.
Therefore it's difficult to determine, with certainty, where the damn things are!
Other than "China".

Having taken an IC-R1500 into China many times in recent years, I can tell you that there weren't any C1s in the major cities such as Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Chengdu, and Nanshan to name the ones I remember.
I could be wrong, but one might reasonably conclude they are out in the "boonies", where it is most unlikely to have a ham on 50 MHz anyway.
Just my own observations.
Hi Adam, just went through the Early Warnings and added a number of QRT's Now for some reason there seems to some ZL 45mhz ones missing like TV1 KauKau Wellington (not closing until Sep) TV2 far north 45.2603 (not closing until Nov and a number of others. All of the South Island is now QRT.
For one I used the early Warning database all the time particularly getting grid squares etc especially with the more well known 49ers, was a bit disappointed the 49ers where removed.
Keep up the good work Adam
Cheers

Mike ZL3MF
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

Hmmm. Most of the 40-50 indicators that are on air have been removed, and the ones that have gone are still listed :roll: ... or maybe it was a test to see if we were awake :D
Some of us use it ... may not update it often, but certainly refer to it. A click just now on the "Report" column in each of the other categories indicates that (from memory) 40-50 was updated as much as the rest.

Adam, with due respect, even if you have no interest in 6m anymore (for understandable reasons) there are many who enjoy the band and there will be (are) a "new crop" of ZLs and VKs coming to 6m as access to the band is returned with the closure of low band analog TV. There are some interesting 40-50MHz DX indicators and it would be useful to continue the category. Removing the obviously dubious and the entries marked "QRT" is valid (a database maintenance once a year?), but I respectfully request that the category remain so those with an interest can add the known ones.

Thank you.
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL3MF »

ZL1RS wrote:Hmmm. Most of the 40-50 indicators that are on air have been removed, and the ones that have gone are still listed :roll: ... or maybe it was a test to see if we were awake :D
Some of us use it ... may not update it often, but certainly refer to it. A click just now on the "Report" column in each of the other categories indicates that (from memory) 40-50 was updated as much as the rest.

Adam, with due respect, even if you have no interest in 6m anymore (for understandable reasons) there are many who enjoy the band and there will be (are) a "new crop" of ZLs and VKs coming to 6m as access to the band is returned with the closure of low band analog TV. There are some interesting 40-50MHz DX indicators and it would be useful to continue the category. Removing the obviously dubious and the entries marked "QRT" is valid (a database maintenance once a year?), but I respectfully request that the category remain so those with an interest can add the known ones.

Thank you.
Totally agree Bob, I almost use the early warnings on a daily basis

Cheers

Mike ZL3MF