Echolink via Notebook

VK2FJCM
Forum Novice

Echolink via Notebook

Post by VK2FJCM »

I am having problems connecting to Echolink on my notebook using a USB Pre Paid Dongle. The problem is that it simply won't connect to the Echolink servers.

I have it running just fine on an iPod Touch through my home router and it runs smoothly. This took some tinkering with Port Forwarding on an older Thomson Router but I got there.

My notebook in running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and have I have allowed Echolink as an exception through the Firewall as per the guidelines on the Echolink Website. The error message I receive indicates that I need to make adjustments to Port Forwarding on the router being used however the connection to the internet is via a Telstra Prepaid USB dongle.

Anyone faced this problem before and resolved it or have any ideas? I don't think there are any settings on the dongle that I could tinker with and I'm not sure someone in Mumbai is going to be able to offer much.

I'm travelling to Europe in a few weeks and will use a USB dongle to access the net where I am going. It would be great to hook up with some weekly nets that I join whilst over there.
Angelo
VK2FJCM
Jindabyne, NSW
QF43HM
VK5LA

Re: Echolink via Notebook

Post by VK5LA »

That USB dongle is natures way of letting you know that Echolink is not ham radio. Just use skype!!!

:twisted:
VK3VIM

Post by VK3VIM »

If you're using Telstra prepaid you are using the Telstra intranet and assigned an internal IP address and NAT usually something like 10.0.x.x so it's not an externally accessible IP address. Try using the Echolink proxy servers, that may solve the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
VK2FJCM
Forum Novice

Post by VK2FJCM »

VK5LA wrote:That USB dongle is natures way of letting you know that Echolink is not ham radio. Just use skype!!!

Already use Skype for non amateur friends.

I'm talking about connecting to a node to join a weekly net on 2m. I appreciate it's not for everyone but it works for me and the rest of the Echolink /IRLP community.
Angelo
VK2FJCM
Jindabyne, NSW
QF43HM
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

3vim beat me to answer. Telstra prepaid will use a 10.x ip. Try what he suggested
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

VK5LA wrote:That USB dongle is natures way of letting you know that Echolink is not ham radio. Just use skype!!!

actually for foundation ops it is ham radio

it is unlikely that you will be able to change any settings on the Telstra unit from memory you need to open it for 3 ports - this is normally done by surfing to the ip of the router and opening the ports via the web browser however you need to know the userid and password of the router and its full ip address - I cannot see Telstra giving you the userid and password to the dongle and if you ask them from experience they will probably want a large amount of money to open the ports on that unit.
john
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK2DDS

Post by VK2DDS »

VK2FJRS wrote:...they will probably want a large amount of money to open the ports on that unit.
A friend of mine (VK2VXT) has been looking into 3G dongles for an Echolink node. As it turns out it's standard practice to place 3G customers behind a NAT firewall, presumably because this is cheaper than providing a rare IPv4 address and phones tend not to be servers so it rarely causes issues. The only way to get a public IP is to purchase a "business class" 3G plan, which probably also comes with access to the dongle's firewall as mentioned above.

The way we're thinking of getting around it is to run a VPN to a home ADSL connection. No idea if this will actually work or not, but the theory is sound.
VK2FJCM
Forum Novice

Post by VK2FJCM »

Thanks for all the replies.

I thought the ports would be tied up by Telstra particularly when it comes to Pre Paid.

I regularly travel to Italy and always use an USB dongle from one their carriers. I was hoping that testing out Echolink here with a Telstra dongle might help with getting it set up over there. I will keep trying the Proxy Server suggestion however it seems like I may have to get a casual broadband connection to get around it if all else fails.

Does anyone use Echolink from their smartphone? I know there are both IOS and Android apps for Echolink which surely must be used in a mobile situation.
Angelo
VK2FJCM
Jindabyne, NSW
QF43HM
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

You get a public IP address on the .internet APN on Optus.

Also on others. Not just a business grade service. Telstra can also convert a consumer Nat service to public ip. (Not sure about prepaid)

Other apns may pass through accelerators and other devices to manage load and the like. Typically why it's natted.
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Echolink works fine on my iPhone 4 with Optus in Oz and numberous other carriers in China, Thailand, Malaysia plus a few other places.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK3VKT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3VKT »

Also works great on my galaxy s3 on vodafone
Andy Kay VK3VKT can be found lurking on VK3RBW 438.450 91.5 tone
Club net 8pm Wednesday nights on the above repeater open to all
MERC Webpage | MERC Facebook Group | My QSL Card site
VK3ZFS

Post by VK3ZFS »

I understand Telstra Bigpond..not prepay has a public IP address, I use a Telstra Bigpond NextG service at my weekender works a treat with Echolink and VoIP.
VK2FJCM
Forum Novice

Post by VK2FJCM »

VK2HRX wrote:Echolink works fine on my iPhone 4 with Optus in Oz and numberous other carriers in China, Thailand, Malaysia plus a few other places.
VK3FRDN wrote:Also works great on my galaxy s3 on vodafone
Of course to make things easy I use a Blackberry for which there is no Echolink app! I can do without the Echolink. Can't do without the Blackberry though!
Angelo
VK2FJCM
Jindabyne, NSW
QF43HM