FT-897D CW Problem

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

FT-897D CW Problem

Post by VK4BZ »

G'day, all.

I have an FT-897D and the other day it just stopped working on CW. It transmits fine on all other modes, but in CW mode, when I depress the key it switches to TX mode, however no power out nor generation of the side tone. I have checked voltages across the key and all seems normal both with open and closed key. If I fire up the beacon mode, it transmits the beacon text and power is okay and side tone is normal. When I plug in the straight key and enable keyer option, it automatically transmits "dahs" at the selected power and with side tone. Staying in the same setting, I plug in the paddle and I can get "dahs" but no "dits".

Yes, I have done the factory reset to default settings, but again, no joy.

For others no CW would not be a problem, but for me, it's my main operating mode...

Any suggestions?
John

"I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy."
Pontius Pilate - The Life of Brian
VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Re: FT-897D CW Problem

Post by VK6SIX »

Long shot.. turn power off including power supply.

Remove every wire or cable except power and microphone from the rig.

Turn rig on and check all bands and modes are working into a dummy load.

RIg off, insert keyer/key wire only.

Rig on, then try to key etc. into dummy load.

It is a long shot, maybe worth a try

cheers
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4BZ wrote:G'day, all.

I have an FT-897D and the other day it just stopped working on CW. It transmits fine on all other modes, but in CW mode, when I depress the key it switches to TX mode, however no power out nor generation of the side tone. I have checked voltages across the key and all seems normal both with open and closed key. If I fire up the beacon mode, it transmits the beacon text and power is okay and side tone is normal. When I plug in the straight key and enable keyer option, it automatically transmits "dahs" at the selected power and with side tone. Staying in the same setting, I plug in the paddle and I can get "dahs" but no "dits".

Yes, I have done the factory reset to default settings, but again, no joy.

For others no CW would not be a problem, but for me, it's my main operating mode...

Any suggestions?
Might be a fault in the menu , have you checked settings , or maybe it tx on the 2nd menu on ssb , not as silly as it sounds
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

Hello.

Press the Function button once and rotate the MEM know until memory MFj is displayed.
Push button B so that the letters on the display [BK] are selected. When this [BK] is un checked I hear CW tone when the keyer is pressed but the radio does not send RF.
If that doesnt work you could try "foowing it to the foor " 8) :lol:

Hope this helps..

Mark
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

Thanks for the ideas.

VK6SIX - yep already done all that. Took it to a tech as well and he is scratching his head!

VK4TI - Novel idea, but, no it isn't doing that. TX and RX are on the same freq and same VFO

ZL2WHO - Yes, one of the first things I checked. Unfortunately, it's not even keying up a side tone when I depress the key. I will fwow it to the fwoor...vewy wuffly!

If worst comes to worst, then I sell the rig as a non-cw rig and then buy another one.

Cheers!
John

VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6SIX »

Final idea before i qsy to lounge room.

Select the "cw reverse" position so it inserts on LSB instead of the default USB.
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

Check for "Bug Keyer" mode. The problem seems to be in the keyer unit.
Sometimes these settings seem to change themselves independently!
Good luck,
Luke VK3HJ
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

VK6SIX wrote:Final idea before i qsy to lounge room.

Select the "cw reverse" position so it inserts on LSB instead of the default USB.
Yep, thanks again...but already tried that.

Not much luck so far...anybody wanna buy an 897D with no CW?
John

VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

VK3HJ wrote:Check for "Bug Keyer" mode. The problem seems to be in the keyer unit.
Sometimes these settings seem to change themselves independently!
Good luck,
Luke VK3HJ
Thanks, Luke, but I've checked that one already.

It was really strange how it happened. I had just had a QSO with a bloke and then it all went pear-shaped...back on the IC-736 again, so still on the air, but I want to get the little 987D fixed. It's a very hand rig.

Blessings!
John

VK7DR

Post by VK7DR »

Keying on the 897 is activated directly via two processor data lines. If it "dahs" and TX's with a straight key then you have the KYR in reverse mode as the straight key connects to the standard tip of the plug which is nominally the "DIT" line.
Be that as it may, activation of either of the inputs in KYR mode should enable TX and also send the DIT or DAH. In the straight key mode, it will only work if the key is wired correctly.

Regardless of whether the DIT is being sent, is the hang timer working normally - as if it had sent the DIT? (This is highly relevant as the TX on condition is activated via the same process as the DIT send in straight key mode - if it is activating the TX timer but not sending the DIT, then the problem must be in the processor function)

If all is otherwise normal and it goes into TX on key down but wont "DIT" or "DAH" with a straight, correctly wired key, then you my friend, have a problem, as all the keying functionality is provided via the main processor internal firmware..

Plug in and then disconnect the PADDLE KEY from its wires and test the resistance to both ground and between the key lines. To ground should be high and between key lines should be high. Check that both forward and reverse resistance to ground on both lines is identical.

If this problem "just happened" without any preamble or symptoms, I think you may have a processor failure.
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

VK7DR wrote: If this problem "just happened" without any preamble or symptoms, I think you may have a processor failure.
Thanks, Rob. That's the direction I am heading. What I should clarify is that it goes into transmit mode without sending if I depress the microphone in CW mode. It fails to work using the mic set up for CW as well (that's a feature of the 897, but who would use it escapes my small mind). When I depress the key in CW mode, I get nothing, though I can detect a faint speaker noise - a mufffled "click". This accounts for the voltage change when I close the key, so I know the problem is probably not a physical one.

I will do your grounding checks, but it is looking more and more like a return to Yaesu (Andrews Communications) for a fix-it job. No, it's well and truly out of warranty, but at a replacement value of $1200, I guess it is worth a few hundred to fix.

I will post how I go with the grounding check.
John

VK5KAA
Forum Novice

Post by VK5KAA »

hello John.
what's the date of purchase.
Gordon
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

G'day Gordon.

I purchased it second hand in 2011, so can't say when the original purchase date was.

Cheers!
John

VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

I guess you have done a full device CPU reset??
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

VK3BQ wrote:I guess you have done a full device CPU reset??
Yep, thanks Andrew. Sure have...again to no avail. I will play around some more this weekend assuming I get the routine tasks completed for the Home Front RSM. :D
John

VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EM »

G'day John
Go to the Yahoo FT-897 group (you might have to register)... they had lengthy discussions some time back about this very problem. I think that it was caused by RF getting into the radio by the keying wiring.

73 Bruce VK2EM
Bruce VK2EM
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

VK2EM wrote:G'day John
Go to the Yahoo FT-897 group (you might have to register)... they had lengthy discussions some time back about this very problem. I think that it was caused by RF getting into the radio by the keying wiring.

73 Bruce VK2EM
Thanks, Bruce. Yes, there is a similar problem reported to do with the socket and multi-layered circuit boards. The guidance given there convinces me I need to get the Yaesu tech in Sydney to do the job and this should help them resolve the issue!

Appreciate the suggestion.
John