GPS locking to 10Mhz

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK5AKK
Frequent Poster

GPS locking to 10Mhz

Post by VK5AKK »

Greetings,
I am now ready to GPS lock my radio for more stable WSPR operations.
To save re-inventing the wheel I would like to hear how others have done it.
Please tell all, from what model GPS rx to the 10mhz input on the back of my radio.
Thanks
Phil
VK5AKK
VK5LA

Re: GPS locking to 10Mhz

Post by VK5LA »

Hi Phil,
What is the make and model of the rigs you want to lock to a 10Mhz reference?

The hardest part, which has now been made easy via VK3HZ, is a series of retrofit master oscillator boards that replace the existing reference oscillator in the yaesu FT8x7 series and Icom IC910H radios. These board accept a 10Mhz reference and discipline the rig to a GPS/Rubidium/OCXO source.
Look here for more info http://www.vk3hz.net/XRef/XRef_Home.html
Both my FT817 and IC910H have been fitted with these and they work very well indeed.

For giving the rigs 10Mhz I'm using one of the 10Mhz Rubidium standards widely available on ebay, but I had to "clean up" the output of it with a filter/buffer amplifier to make it acceptable to use with my microwave transverters. They operate from a single 13.8 volt supply and are locked up within a few minutes from switch on. They require a bit of amps when first switched on but settle down to about 1.3 amps when warmed up/locked...

The Trimble Thunderbolt 10Mhz units are another option, but are 1. more expensive, 2 require a multi voltage power supply and 3 take a while to output a stable on frequency 10Mhz signal.

I also have a 10Mhz OCXO that I have been using for field days, this is small, light weight and was less than $20 delivered to my door via ebay

Once you look in to it I'm sure you'll work out what is best for you shack requirements/operating style.

Being ref locked has made a big difference to my WSPR operations, no drift on my signal and when other ref locked stations decode me they report my frequency bang on at 144.489.515 - exactly what is set on my software.

Cheers
Andy
VK5AKK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5AKK »

Greetings Andy,
Yes I have fitted the XRef-VT with onboard TCXO to my 910H so I am ready to pump in a 10Mhz locked signal.
I want to go down the GPS path.
Cheers
Phil
VK5AKK
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Phil,
VK5AKK wrote:Greetings Andy,
Yes I have fitted the XRef-VT with onboard TCXO to my 910H so I am ready to pump in a 10Mhz locked signal.
I want to go down the GPS path.
Cheers Phil VK5AKK
If you want an interim fix, I have two large-ish TXCO's that once warmed up should work quite well (about the size of a coffee mug, bought from a Chinese epay store). I like Andy bought them for taking out portable as the GPS I have (Trimble Thunderbolt) is not exactly portable the way I have it setup (no battery option).

Joe, vk7jg ran his rigs from a TXCO in a small cheap plastic rubbish bin for many months and it would seem the secret is to keep them isolated from outside influences like the air from a rigs fan going on and off. (I seem to have repeated myself about this in a few threads now)

Peter, vk5pj
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

Hi Phil.

At home I have (like many others, I'm sure) a Trimble Thunderbolt. It feeds into a surplus IRT VA-700T Video Distribution Amplifier, which has 10 outputs (should be enough...). At the moment I only have test gear connected to it (frequency counter, sig gen, etc) but next is working on locking all the rigs to it. Well, maybe not the HF box... First will be the FT817s I use as IF drivers for 23, 13, 9, 6 and 3 cm (and, of course, the associated transverters). Then perhaps I'll look at the venerable FT-736r and my 70 cm rig (IC-375). They're not so urgent - the 736 does seem very stable*.

*Not qualified by actual measurement - merely an opinion dusted off and suggested as fact.

Barry
VK3BJM
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

G'day Phil,

Yes, the Trimble Thunderbolt is probably the choice at the moment.
A large number came out of China from a mobile network shutdown, but supplies are now dwindling and prices have risen to the stupid level from there.
There are still a few from US suppliers such as this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171019996812

At home, I run an HP Z3815A which is equivalent to this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271152853903
That unit has been modified by the seller as the standard unit is rack-mounting and doesn't have separate connectors for antenna, 10 MHz out or power.

Regards,
Dave.