2m WSPR Monthly World Rankings

WSPR discussion
VK2KRR

Re: 2m WSPR Monthly World Rankings

Post by VK2KRR »

December World rankings.

Two Way Reports - Tied up in first spot is VK3JTM and VK2KRR, 2nd is a 4 way tie between VK3NFI, VK3XPT, VK5LA and VK6DZ would you believe, and in 3rd is newcomer to WSPR Anthony VK3LAJ.

Spotters Ranking - Station aparantly with big ears VK2KRR followed by VK3JTM and incredibly Derek VK6DZ all the way from WA. Well done Derek.

Spots Ranking - VK3JTM tops the list then VK3LAJ doing well and VK3NFI, well done.

Well done to all and fantastic to see Derek VK6DZ ranking so highly being 2000 km away from most stations. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and good New Year and hope all the great conditions on radio haven't kept up you up to late, but they are welcome to see.

You can go to KB9AMGs full listing here http://mardie4.100webspace.net/index.html
2m World Rankings Dec 2013
2m World Rankings Dec 2013
VK3ART

Post by VK3ART »

Why are VK's so keen on this ?
Russ VK3ART
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Russ,
I cant speak for anyone else, although a comment I hear a lot is that its quite addictive.

Reasons why I like using WSPR are -
*Its convenient, when the propagation is at lower levels the station runs and reports online for me, giving me time to do other things here and check back periodically. Rather than turning the station OFF. If a strong path/opening is identified, switch over to voice to make a contact, or another mode if required.
*I can keep my station active and available for other amateurs to make use of by either giving them reports to their signals online, or sending signals for them to decode. Rather than me calling and listening to noise all day which I find very inefficient.
*Keeping my station active, in turn helps motivate and keep other stations active, world wide.
*Teaches others about and makes them more aware of digital modes. Encourages people to enable digital TX/RX through their radios. Teaches about importance of having very stable transmitters and encourages GPS or other reference locking.
*Helps people learn a lot more about propagation openings and when/why they occur. And is particularly useful for identifying night time tropo openings and when the best times are for maximum signals. WSPR is also very handy for studying propagation via the Ionosphere.
*Helps operators test effectiveness of station changes, including antennas, pre-amps, coax.
*Is able to decode signals at very weak signal levels.
*Is great fun, and really can be quite addictive if you have time to sit and enjoy the propagation and liase online with other operators.
*Is able to cover great distance with QRP power levels compared to what you'd need to use on SSB or FM. Typically 10W or less.
*Uses a single frequency for each band world wide. Bandwidth of which is only 200 Hz. Each transmission is only about 6 Hz wide.
*Convenient auto uploading of decoded signals after each 2 min time period. Data is available in WSPRnet database and is also automatically plotted on world map.
*I also find it very interesting running a waterfall display along with WSPR as some of the patterns, from reflections and scattering effects can be quite fascinating/surprising. While they can sometimes hinder operation though.

Could be more, but thats what comes to mind for me.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Only 4 hours left of January if you need to get some last minute spots underway.

2m Two-way spots very close...
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Here we go, lets see how everyone went with the 2m World Rankings for January. Quite a big month of propagation for Aussies.

Usually a stations best measure is the Two-Way Reports. Meaning they can be heard and they can also hear. When we say Two-way reports, it means spots have been heard by the stations each end of the path.

Two-Way Reports - Was very close over January, there was only a single spot between VK3DXE, VK3JTM to be even with Phil VK5AKK with only about 4 hours to go. Phil must have pulled another one out of the bag. The final top 3 was between VK5AKK who was 2 spots clear of Alan VK3DXE and Tim VK3JTM, both equal 2nd. Also good to see Derek VK6DZ all the way up in 10th spot.

Spotters Ranking - Four spots clear is VK2KRR, followed by VK3DXE. Alan's new QTH working wonders and will be very interesting to see how he goes when he gets more than a 4 element yagi up :!: Equal 3rd between VK5AKK and VK5PJ.

Spots Ranking - At times being blurred by higher powered transmissions, I feel is a little unfair to not recognise those who rank highly but stick to the 5 or 10W usual. Kind of like a station on steroids. But, admittedly at times its good to see some unusual paths completed by those turning the wick up a bit, such as the rare paths from VK5 to the VK2 coastal stations like VK2KOL, or some of the paths to VK6. Does make it a bit more exciting. But if people do turn power up to complete a path, I'd suggest keeping the length of time at higher power to a minimum, and keep in mind those other stations around you who are also listening for very weak signals that the higher power level could be affecting.
Our top 3 are Tim VK3JTM followed closely by Alan VK3DXE, then 3 spots back to Phil VK5AKK. And only a single spot back was Dean VK3NFI.

Well done to everyone who got there stations on the air, there was quite a lot of activity over January.
January 2m WSPR World Ranking
January 2m WSPR World Ranking
The full list can be viewed at http://mardie4.100webspace.net/index.html
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Another month down and slowly moving to less and less propagation for Aussies as we head toward Autumn.

Having some issues with accidental incorrect band spotting by some stations which is making it really hard to know whats a correct spot and what isn't. The Spotters list data was a little corrupted, so I cant really put that up with accuracy. I think the Spots lists and the Two-way spots should be OK. So here's the story -

Two-Way Reports - We see Phil VK5AKK is at 19 reports, 3 spots clear of both Alan VK3DXE and Leigh VK2KRR at equal 2nd and Mr Consistency Andy VK5LA in at 4th another 2 spots back.

Spots Ranking - Very close with Alan VK3DXE just one up on Phil VK5AKK both well ahead of Leigh VK2KRR, Brian VK5BC & Dean VK3NFI all equal 3rd along with DB0XIT http://www.db0xit.de/?Home
February 2m WSPR World Rankings
February 2m WSPR World Rankings
Full lists available here http://mardie4.100webspace.net/index.html
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Results for March 2014 2m WSPR World Ranking

-Two Way Reports -
#1 - Perrin VK3XPT, 18 spots, a very commendable effort as I believe most of the month Perrin was using only 2 Watts TX power.
#2 - Leigh VK2KRR and Alan VK3DXE both in equal 2nd with the same number of reports (17) and one spot back from VK3XPT.
#4 - Andy VK5LA. Mr Consistency on 12 spots.
#5 - Dean VK3NFI and Keith VK5AKM both coming in equal 5th with 11 spots. Keith has been a bit more active through March. Dean pulling off some fairly long spots into VK5.

-Spots Ranking -
#1 - Alan VK3DXE, with 25 spots recorded Alan is usually having a good go at it most evenings despite his somewhat temporary station at present and drifty rig.
#2 - DB0XIT & Perrin VK3XPT both equal 2nd with 24 spots. DB0XIT again ranking highly and moving up one spot. Perrin doing well with the 2 Watts.
#4 - Leigh VK2KRR came up with only 21 spots, what a disgrace that is :lol: :D
#5 - Andy VK5LA, 17 spots, Andy's station is always on and available and does get out very well. A real credit to him.

Numerous other Aussie stations scattered all through the lists, well done to everyone who gave it a go :D
March 2m World Ranking
March 2m World Ranking
Full lists available here http://mardie4.100webspace.net/index.html
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Results for April 2014 2m WSPR World Ranking

Well what a month April was 8) I have to admit that for April, I had a good go at it! I had too to stay one up from Alan VK3DXE! :lol: This is not really a competition, but it is what you make of it I guess! There are stations out there that give it a good go and try and collect as many Two-way spots as possible. When someone new comes on all yagis are facing that direction :D Its actually quite good in promoting extra activity and its great to have people to push you to do a little bit extra. So it really was quite an exciting month.
Well done to Alan VK3DXE for gathering as many Two-way spots as he did from his QTH SE Melbourne, a damn good effort from down there. I was lucky to be able to reach out to Frank VK5KV which is what gave me the one up.
Of course closly followed by others such as Andy VK5LA, Phil VK5AKK

-Two Way Reports -
#1 - Leigh VK2KRR. Gave my best and only one spot clear. Tough competition :!:
#2 - Alan VK3DXE. As I mentioned previously, if Alan gets a stable rig and all his permanent antennas up, who knows what he could hear. :shock:
#3 - Phil VK5AKK. Phil is just playing with us really. I only saw him on a handfull of times and still placed very highly.
#3 - Andy VK5LA. Andy's simple set up works wonders as per usual.
#5 - Tim VK3JTM. I believe Tim has a new antenna set up and has power divided one yagi facing Adelaide and another to the north east.

-Spots Ranking -
#1 - DB0XIT beacon, head of the pack by 5 spots in April. That will happen as more EU stations come online and no increase in VKs.
#2 - Phil VK5AKK, doing good at 21 spots.
#3 - Leigh VK2KRR, just the usual.
#4 - Alan VK3DXE and Andy VK5LA, both in equal 4th. Well done guys.

Numerous other Aussie stations scattered all through the lists, well done to everyone who gave it a go, great fun :D
World Ranking 2m April 2014
World Ranking 2m April 2014
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Results for May 2014 2m WSPR World Ranking

Band not really doing much across May. Activity a bit lower. Still looking good though.
Just as a side note, as the Spotters rank is usually corrupted, but it looks like Peter VK5PJ & Bill VK5ACY were doing well in the Spotters list for May.

-Two Way Reports -
=#1 - Leigh VK2KRR & Andy VK5LA. Andy and myself both up top of the ranking for May.
=#3 - Perrin VK3XPT & Peter VK5PJ. Both Perrin & Pete in at number 3. Both stations hugely capable of some pretty awesome paths.
#5 - Alan VK3DXE. Mostly poking about the top numbers. I bet Alan is quietly working on a super station :D
=#6 - Jayson VK1JA & Steve VK3ZAZ. Top effort from Jayson, getting signals in/out of the ACT is not easy. Didn't see Steve on a great deal, so looking good from the short stints on 2m and always one to watch.
#8 - Tim VK3JTM. Gradually improving the station at VK3JTM is paying off.

-Spots Ranking -
#1 - DB0XIT beacon, head of the pack by only 2 spots in May.
#2 - Alan VK3DXE. Following hot on the heals of DB0XIT. More Aussie stations taking part would help.
=#3 - Perrin VK3XPT & Andy VK5LA. Doing well.
=#5 - Leigh VK2KRR, Tim VK3JTM & Peter VK5PJ. :angel:
#8 - Steve VK3ZAZ. :thumbup:

Quite a few others throughout the lists, well done folks.
2m WSPR World Rankings, May 2014
2m WSPR World Rankings, May 2014
VK3XPT
Forum Novice

Post by VK3XPT »

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for the reports as usual, and good to see you back up at the pointy end!

For the information of the group, I have been running 2W TX power exclusively for the past few months from an FT847 with a crystal heater, and a Cushcraft 13B2. (I was away for all of April, hence no April results).
Hopefully we can encourage some more low power testing amongst the group. My best effort so far is 20mW (actually 17.8mW) to VK6DZ, a distance of 2464KM.
There is some more info here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12013

Cheers, Perrin VK3XPT
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Results for June 2014 2m WSPR World Ranking

A good amount of activity for the month, increasing towards the last week with some good tropo openings from VK5 to VK4 :thumbup: I usually report the top 5 places, but for June there are a lot of tied place getters, so five places is extended to equal 14th in this case!

-Two-Way Reports-

=#1 - Alan VK3DXE & Tim VK3JTM. Well done to Alan & Tim. Alan is still using a temp small yagi. Spare a thought for Tim whose whole tower and antenna's were blown over during the late June windstorm. Hope to see Tim back soon.
=#3 - Leigh VK2KRR, Perrin VK3XPT, Andy VK5LA & Peter VK5PJ! All four stations tied in at number 3 position :!: :thumbup:
#7 - John VK2YW. Well done John. John is able to get west, south and east when conditons previal from a simple single yagi set up in Wagga.
=#8 - DB0XIT, KC6KGE, Jayson VK1JA, John VK4MJF, Jeff VK5GF & WA6M. All 6 stations in equal eighth. Nice to see a Queenslander in there.
=#14 - K6PZB, KI6STW, KP4MD, N6GN, N6KOG, Scott VK4CZ, Eddie VK4EDD, Kevin VK4UH & WW6D!! All nine in 14th position! Again, nice to see the VK4 stations moving up the ladder.

-Spots Ranking-

#1 - DB0XIT beacon, head of the pack again, by only one spot this time.
#2 - Alan VK3DXE. Alan's new QTH on the east side of the bay is doing really well, and will get better with the addition of more antenna hardware.
=#3 - Tim VK3JTM, Perrin VK3XPT and Andy VK5LA. Great effort from all. Keeping in mind Perrin's station is only running 2 Watts.
=#6 - Leigh VK2KRR & Peter VK5PJ - Peter has pulled off an amazing path from himself to Eddie VK4EDD near Brisbane, excess of 1500 km over land during winter. Did someone say there is no DX during winter?
=#8 - Rob VK1KW & Jeff VK5GF. We all know Rob complains of no DX in Canberra, but here he is in the top 5 spots :? Along with George Fox VK5GF Jeff does extremely well from only 20 masl with single yagi.
2m World Ranking June 2014
2m World Ranking June 2014
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Results for July 2014 2m WSPR World Ranking

Not quite so many openings for July compared to June so numers are down slightly. The poorer conditions making it harder to dig those weaker signals out. I'd say numbers are up in VK4 land though with I think at least 2 stations now set up at home with GPS locking :thumbup: this will really assist those in VK4 and NE VK2. A bit of a shake up in the spots ranking with some of out VK's getting the upper hand.

-Two-Way Reports-

#1 - Alan VK3DXE, no sharing the top spot this month as Alan is slowing getting the station at new QTH sorted :clap:
#2 - Leigh VK2KRR, a poor effort, lift your game son :lol:
=#3 - Andy VK5LA & Peter VK5PJ, both stations very consistent. Peter is now set up with a horizontal omni set up and GPS.
=#5 - Dean VK3NFI, Phil VK5AKK, Jeff VK5GF & WA6M! Phil was only back for a few weeks, but good to see him back. Jeff is looking good now with GPS locking, and Dean as always has a very good reach from his station.
=#9 - K6PZB, N6GN, Geoff VK2UL, Perrin VK3XPT, Keith VK5AKM, WW6D! Well a few Americans in at number 9 well done guys. Also a great effort from Geoff VK2UL up near Yass, getting out quite well under favourable condx, one spot in particular to VK5LA I noted :thumbup: Perrin VK3XPT one of the top VK3 stations is now off air pending relocation to a new and improved country QTH hope all goes well. And Keith is on mainly just in the mornings but is still gettiing enough to make top 5, always good to see.

Better give special mention to Colin VK4MIL and John VK4MJF who were just outside top 5 spots, good to see VK4s sneaking closer.

-Spots Ranking-

#1 - Alan VK3DXE, good stuff Alan. :clap:
=#2 - Leigh VK2KRR & Jeff VK5GF. VK5GF doing very well in the spots ranking with the new GPS set up.
#4 - DB0XIT beacon, back a bit this month, maybe not so many EU stations about, stange seeing though its summer over there.
#5 - Dean VK3NFI, doing well Dean.
=#6 - Andy VK5LA & Peter VK5PJ, :beer:
World Ranking July 2014
World Ranking July 2014
VK3NFI
Forum Novice

Post by VK3NFI »

My 2mtr antenna took a beating this winter and lost 2 elements and twisted the driven element.
new one the drawing board.. be back with avengance :beer:
73's
Dean VK3NFI
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK3NFI wrote:My 2mtr antenna took a beating this winter and lost 2 elements and twisted the driven element.
new one the drawing board.. be back with avengance :beer:
Looking at options for my tower - watch out once I get 2 decent yagis up :mrgreen:
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

The Tropo King is back in VK5 so watch out, it could get interesting :shock: :mrgreen:
VK3NFI
Forum Novice

Post by VK3NFI »

VK3DXE wrote:Looking at options for my tower - watch out once I get 2 decent yagis up :mrgreen:
VK2KRR wrote:The Tropo King is back in VK5 so watch out, it could get interesting :shock: :mrgreen:
Bla Bla Bla here we go :D time for the secret weapon ..... Its so secret I don't know what it is yet..
73's
Dean VK3NFI
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Results for August 2014 2m WSPR World Ranking

Not much going on in August as is usually the way. VK4's though should be aware we are approaching the time of year when paths along the coast tend to pick up and there has been about 2 instances so far, but need stations further north from Brisbane.
Also, as was mentioned previously, VK5AKK is back :mrgreen:
Quite a bit of extra activity from northern hemisphere stations this month.

-Two-Way Reports-

#1 - Phil VK5AKK. Up by two spots. Never underestimate the man on the mountain :thumbup:
=#2 - Leigh VK2KRR, WA6M. A poor effort Leigh, lift your game son :lol: And WA6M sneaking up more spots from number 5 last month.
=#4 - Jeff VK5GF, K6PZB. Consistancy pays off for Jeff being there most days (tnx Jeff). K6PZB up from 9th last month, good to see the west coast USA stations getting up in numbers.
=#6 - DB0XIT, KI6STW, N6GN, VK5LA, WW6D. Andy VK5LA representing the Aussies amongst 4 others from EU/NA.
=#11 - Alan VK3DXE, KC6KGE. Alan VK3DXE dropping back dramatically from #1 in the previous month, although still doing very well all things considered. And more NA stations in the top 5 positions with KC6KGE.

-Spots Ranking-

=#1 - Alan VK3DXE, Phil VK5AKK. Alan not letting us down in the spots ranking and holding up =1st good stuff Alan. :clap: And welcome back Phil!
=#3 - Leigh VK2KRR, G3NR, WA6M. Myself sitting in with G3NR & WA6M. High numbers from the northern hemisphere.
=#6 - DB0XIT, K6PZB, N6GN, VK5GF, VK5LA. Jeff & Andy holding it up there.
=#11 - G3ZJO, KP4MD. Not to sure about Eddie G3ZJO's station, but a good effort. Carol KP4MD is always active on 2m WSPR and I think is running 2 x halos on 2m WSPR.
=#13 - KC6KGE, KI6STW, Grant VK3ZTE, WW6D. Someone who's been putting in a lot of effort of late is Grant VK3ZTE in Melbourne, results are starting to pay off with a good placing :thumbup: Well done also to the NA's boys.
August 2014 2m World Ranking
August 2014 2m World Ranking
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Results for August 2014 2m WSPR World Ranking

Not heaps going on, and a mix of Australian and overseas calls in the lists this month.

-Two-Way Reports-

#1 - DB0XIT beacon up top this month by 4 positions.
=#2 - Alan VK3DXE, Jeff VK5GF, Andy VK5LA.
#5 - Leigh VK2KRR
#6 - Peter VK5ZLX
=#7 - Keith VK5AKM, Gordon VK5KAA, KC6KGE, KI6STW, N6GN. Good to see Keith & Gordon up here :thumbup:

-Spots Ranking-

#1 - DB0XIT beacon, waay ahead by 11 spots :!:
#2 - Jeff VK5GF. Well done Jeff :!: :thumbup:
#3 - Alan VK3DXE
#4 - Andy VK5LA. Sad to report that Andy has recently had antenna support problems and is currently off air.
=#5 - Gordon VK5KAA, G3ZJO, WA6M. Again good to see Gordon ranking so highly as he has only recently began 2m WSPR ops.
2m WSPR World Ranking Sept 2014
2m WSPR World Ranking Sept 2014
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

My bad!
The previous results should read -
Results for SEPTEMBER 2014 2m WSPR World Ranking
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Results for OCTOBER 2014 2m WSPR World Ranking

Not many Australian calls in the list this month, but there are still some fairly high rankings.
Was good to see both Alan VK3DXE and Phil VK5AKK sharing the number one spot for October :clap:

-Two-Way Reports-

=#1 - Alan VK3DXE & Phil VK5AKK
=#3 - Leigh VK2KRR & N6KOG
=#5 - DB0XIT, K6PZB, KC6KGE, N6GN, WW6D
=#10 - KI6STW, KJ6QBA, VK3ZTE, VK5GF, WA6M
=#15 - DL5AP, KP4MD

-Spots Ranking-

#1 - DB0XIT beacon, clear by a long way
=#2 - Alan VK3DXE, Phil VK5AKK
#4 - DL5AP
=#5 - Leigh VK2KRR, Grant VK3ZTE
#7 - N6GN