JT65 problems

WSJT 65 (and variants) Discussion
VK4WDM

JT65 problems

Post by VK4WDM »

After running well for several months JT65 is giving me two problems:

1. When receiving the waterfall sometimes freezes. Shutting down and re-opening the program fixes it.

2. Sometimes whilst transmitting the output suddenly stops, usually after just a few seconds. Again, shutting down and re-opening the program fixes it.

Both faults seem to be totally random. Sometimes hours between episodes, sometimes just a few minutes.

Ideas of how to fix it please.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Re: JT65 problems

Post by VK4TI »

More information required . hardware , o/s and update history would be a start , what have you installed recently and when did the problem start in relation to installs and updates
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hello Barry

Equipment is: IC-756 PRO3, Signalink USB interface, HP laptop running WIN7. Nothing new installed recently. Problem started about three days ago.

I do have windows auto update enabled (may not be a good idea?).

Soundcard and rig control check marks have not changed. Decodes and transmits quite ok between episodes and FLDIGI for PSK, Olivia, and RTTY working ok.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4WDM wrote:Hello Barry

Equipment is: IC-756 PRO3, Signalink USB interface, HP laptop running WIN7. Nothing new installed recently. Problem started about three days ago.

I do have windows auto update enabled (may not be a good idea?).

Soundcard and rig control check marks have not changed. Decodes and transmits quite ok between episodes and FLDIGI for PSK, Olivia, and RTTY working ok.

Wayne VK4WDM
This last week there have been several major updates , I suggest you check the logs and see what has been added , it "might"be the problem
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

I have run similar systems using various computers/laptops and signalink interfaces with WSJT inc. JT65

I have seen similar issues with programs locking up or dropping out at various times. Here are some of my findings which may be useful:-

Exclude any other program running in the background producing any audio. Any program with any sound turned on including Windows, Skype or mail programs can introduce audio to the signalink (which you wont actually hear). This will force the signalink to go to Tx and stop the waterfall. Even the logger itself will do this if the audio announcements/beeps in I-chat are not turned off in settings. I have had incoming e-mails etc causing this problem. It is amazing how often I hear "Windose boot-up Chimes" on air during the Meteor activity sessions each weekend. Any sound your computer normally makes will go to air and stop the program once connected to the Signalink even though your normal speakers will probably be silent

I have also had the same issues with RF feedback getting into the USB port of one laptop. Solved by placing clip-on ferrite sleeves on both ends of the USB to signalink lead.

Lastly I had the same (but intermittent) effect which nearly drove me mad. This required rebooting the program each time it locked up. Eventually by elimination this turned out to be an intermittent fault in the USB lead itself. $3 replacement completely cured the problem.

Kevin VK4UH
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
YU7EF
Forum Novice

Post by YU7EF »

I have also had the same issues with RF feedback getting into the USB port of one laptop. Solved by placing clip-on ferrite sleeves on both ends of the USB to signalink lead.

I would also first look at this potential reason for your trouble - when started using high power out of nowhere WSJT and mouse
started freezing - solved the problem same way - placed RFC (ferrite rings) close to PC on all cables connecting PC to interface
and on mouse cable

Pop, YU7EF
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

YU7EF wrote:

I would also first look at this potential reason for your trouble - when started using high power out of nowhere WSJT and mouse
started freezing - solved the problem same way - placed RFC (ferrite rings) close to PC on all cables connecting PC to interface
and on mouse cable

Pop, YU7EF
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ABW »

Taking all the above advice in hand - i would also recommend clip-on ferrites for the power leads to everything in your shack - including non amateur stuff. When i installed a 2nd monitor on my system (so that i could run multiple WSPR/JT65, etc) i noticed that the monitor (dedicated monitor - not a tv/monitor unit) was generating white noise across HF / 6M. Clamping both ends of all power leads & video leads dropped the white noise back down below the atmospheric noise level :D
Gary
VK8AW / VK4ABW
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Thank you for all the suggestions guys.

I carefully checked to see if there were any audio sounds being produced by the laptop = no.
I added some ferrite beads to the ones I already have on various leads: problem still remained.
Went back to a previous point to see if an update had done something to the system = no.
Un-installed and reloaded JT65: no change.

Then I remembered that a few weeks ago I re-routed the USB lead from the Signalink to the laptop via a powered USB hub. Connected the lead directly to the laptop and the problem has gone. :D

Why the hub worked ok and then started to play up is a mystery, but it will go in the garbage bin. I use the same hub to run my plane plotter setup and I don't want it to mess that up.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

I have previously noted the weird effect on FSK441 of decoding my own signals apparently coming off air. Others have said they have also seen this effect.

I have just noticed that this will happen every time if I click on the far right hand edge (last second or so) of the SpecJT waterfall in any sweep

Would someone else like to try this and confirm if this is a real issue or something specific to my system

Im running V9.3
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK4CDI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CDI »

Happens here also Kevin.......

Cheers

Phil VK4CDI