SK: VK2EI

A place to remember those who have become a Silent Key (SK)
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

SK: VK2EI

Post by VK2AMS »

Gents it my sad duty to inform you all that Neil Sandford VK2EI passed away this afternoon, he will be greatly missed! I will post funeral details etc as they become available, vale Neil
mark VK2AMS
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Re: VK2EI SK

Post by ZL1TPH »

Very sad, not the sort of news wanted to hear ..
Worked Neil in almost every opening, tropo and Es to ZL and it would have been 8 years or so ago that he called into my Orewa home QTH
73, Stephen - ZL1TPH
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

Vale Neil..... rest in peace, in "ham" heaven, and may you work lotsa DX!!!

John
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1TPH »

My last contact with Neil on the 1st Jan 2013 at 1877 km on 144 MHz from Cape Reinga (top of ZL) ..

VK2EI 59006 59001 00 31 1-Jan 144 SSB RF65JM QF68KM 1877 km
VK4OX

Post by VK4OX »

Very sad news.

Neil will be long remembered and sorely missed. A real gentleman.

Adrian, VK4OX.
ZL1AVZ
Forum Novice

Post by ZL1AVZ »

Very sad to hear of Neil's passing I worked with Neil in the NZPO Radio section about 50 years ago. We also visited with Neil and Verena several years ago at his QTH in Port McQuarrie. He was a very nice person and a great microwave enthusiast. He will be missed.

Brian ZL1AVZ
Brian zl1avz
VK4CDI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CDI »

Sad news indeed.......

Phil VK4CDI
VK2ZT

Post by VK2ZT »

So sorry to hear of this , Neil will be be missed by so many of us ...
VK2KYP
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2KYP »

Very sad news, Neil was a true Gentleman
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Really sad news.

Neil used to be a pretty regular 2M signal into Sydney. As others have said, always a gentleman. I only recently caught up with him again on the phone after a number of years of me being back in Melbourne and off the air.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Saddened by the News of Neil's passing.

A true enthusiast and gentleman through and through

GippsTech wont be the same without his innovations

KJ
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK2KOL
Forum Novice

Post by VK2KOL »

Very sorry to hear about Neil.

I enjoyed exchanging contacts with Neil on 2mtrs and catching up at Wyong over the years.

Colin (VK2KOL)
ZL3MH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3MH »

Neil VK2EI has been here twice in resent years. He was with the NZPO and
did a trip in the Geophysical year 1957 to Antarctica as a Technician / radio
operator. Our government did a reunion in 2007 at Scot Base and Neil flew
down there via Christchurch to be apart of that event. He also came over
to see his Sister in Christchurch. I have worked him many times on 2m after
he shifted to Port Macquarie from Geraldton WA. When he lived in
Geraldton he used to work Walley VK6KZ on 10 GHz a trip of some 300
miles. He was right into VHF/SHF and will be sadly missed on the bands.
M.O.Hely ZL3MH
VK4ZO

Post by VK4ZO »

Very sad news.
I worked with Neil at Honeysuckle Creek Apollo tracking station near Canberra for several years where he was considered the font of knowledge for all RF matters, and have also visited him and Verena in Port Macquarie, where Neil had dug out under his house for a "classic" ham shack.
Always enthusiastic about the VHF and microwave bands he built most of his own gear, always seemed to be around when there was an opening, particularly to his native New Zealand.
Neil will be greatly missed among Amateur Radio ranks on both sides of the Tasman.
de Dave VK4ZO
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AMS »

gentlemen,

Neil Sandford VK2EI passed away on the 10th March 2013 at 3.30pm.

His funeral is on this Wednesday 13th March at 10.30am at Gordon Street Funeral Parlour in Port Macquarie NSW.

I'm sure all our condolences and best wishes go to Verena and family at this sad time.

73 mark VK2AMS
VK4MJF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4MJF »

Have known Neil(VK2EI) for about 3 or so years, only as either a 2metre contact during the week (AE) or a point score in a vhf/uhf field day. He was my first 10 hgz contact from Byron bay a couple of years back, so the man had very little infuence over me, as far as the hobby has gone. This year on the way to Wyong myself and 3 other amateurs (VK4 NE, AR & NEF), knowing he was ill and unable to visit Wyong decided to drop in to see Neil at home. What can I say both neil and his wife were so pleased we had, and we were cond to stay for lunch. We all spoke at lenght about all things radio, got a guided tour of his shack WOW, and I thought I d seen sum shacks, but this was all things microwave. I have been told and read some interesting history about Neil and I'm sure he has left some impressions on other as he has with me. Although he will be missed by many I'm sure his legacy will live on. with sympathy Gary,Mick,Eric and John.
John VK4MJF :J :J :J
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

I knew Neil for some 40+ years. I concur with all the sentiments expressed here. Our paths have crossed many times over the decades. By way of a tribute, to enlighten newer members of the fraternity and to remind those who've also been around over the decades, here's a PDF of 6UP magazine of May 1973, which features Neil's 1296 MHz station when he signed VK1ZT in the ACT.
6UP_May_1973.pdf
(2.92 MiB) Downloaded 1091 times
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

On the VK2WI website, there's an excellent obituary for Neil from Henry Lundell VK2ZHE, President of the Oxley Region Amateur Radio Club, where Neil was a member. Check it out here: http://www.arnsw.org.au/html/newstext/2 ... _arnsw.pdf

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AMS »

He was an inspirational man who lived an exceptional life roger, it was a pleasure to know him . I put together all the emails from the various reflectors and presented them to his wife verena at his funeral last wednesday , he gave me his book of notes on the construction of his 24 GHz system just before he died and I have started on my own via much referals to his detailed notes ! amazing !!