Flushing the beacon database

Amateur beacons
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Flushing the beacon database

Post by ADMIN »

There are many records in the beacon database that have not been updated in over 4 years.

Notably, all the proposed VK2RSY beacons, and a number of ZL beacons.

I figure that 4 years is a long enough window of opportunity to contribute an update, and that these records are most likely irrelevant now.
So, I will be deleting the records you see in the image below, next week.

Please do not expect me to add them again after they have been deleted - this is YOUR opportunity to update the record accordingly NOW, to keep it "alive".

Also, please do not expect me to update a record on your behalf - you can do this yourself - this whole idea of a community on-line database.

The easiest way to flag a beacon is active, is to spot it on the relevant Logger.
Alternatively, you can click on "Beacon" on the main menu, search for the desired beacon, and edit the record in full.

If you know the status of a beacon listed above, this is your opportunity to share first-hand information. :D

Posted in the interests of flushing out stale information!
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK2KRR

Re: Flushing the beacon database

Post by VK2KRR »

A good idea Adam.
ZL1UJG
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1UJG »

Hi,
I agree with the flushing as well.
One of my "roundtoit" jobs is a total rebuild of the Auckland 23cm Beacon which was on 1297.150 to 1296.253 MHz.

I dont know about the status of the 432.253 Auckland Beacon, as both the 144.253 and 432.253 MHz Auckland beacons seem to have disappeared... Used to be able to hear them both on a whip at 110km, but now not visible even when looking at a narrow band waterfall display. (Actually during a recent opening, heard the Auckland 2m beacon at 31 to 41.)
Its not just me as others have commented as well.

Perhaps some Aucklanders can comment on the status of the 144 and 432.253 beacons?

Kevin
ZL1UJG
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

Last call to update any of the 43 entries with an "Unknown" status.

There are several VK2RSY entries.
Surely there is someone in greater Sydney that knows whether these are on air, still proposed, or not happening???
Even if the status hasn't changed, please update the records accordingly.
(There is no need to contact me, as you can easily update these entries yourself.)

VK6 and ZL beacons also.

If there is a general lack of interest in updating these, they will be flushed this week.
Unless people are expecting others will always do it for them... which is always a complaceny problem.

Use it or loose it! :wink:
VK7DX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7DX »

Hi Adam
I have updates on some African beacons.Is it ok for me to update them even though I havent heard them?
I requested the info from a ZS op.

cheers
Frank
VK7DX
VK2ZQ
Forum Novice

Post by VK2ZQ »

Great idea Adam.
Mike
VK2ZQ
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

I have mentioned this before, that it would help if people could spot their local beacon or repeater to keep the logger databases up to date. Doesn't matter if its only 2km away, it helps if its recently been updated for others not so close.
I found on my recent trip to Melbourne I was able to do some updates on some of the repeaters down there that had not been updated for quite a while.
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK7DX wrote:...I have updates on some African beacons.Is it ok for me to update them even though I havent heard them?
I requested the info from a ZS op.
Hi Frank, definitiely, if you believe the information is sound! :D
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

86 beacons have now been flushed from the database, due to not being updated in 24 months.

These include a lot international 28 MHz beacons, and a fair number of VK & ZL 2m, 70cm, 23cm, and microwave beacons.

2 years is more than long enough to contribute an update. :cry:

It is increasingly apparent that custodians of beacons prefer to use email only to advise status within the small closed email groups.
This suggests there is little or no need for a modern online beacon database.

It would be useful if beacon custodians could update the database here as well... it doesn't take long.
You can't beat first-hand knowledge!