ZL2BKC ZL PLL programming lead

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

ZL2BKC ZL PLL programming lead

Post by VK4GHZ »

Hi all

Finally got a chance to have a play with my new "ZL PLL" board, from Wayne, ZL2BKC.

First thing to do was organise a programming lead!

Being curious, I initially tried using a PICAXE AXE027 lead, but nope, no go.
The AXE027 lead is an "inverting " type lead, so the logic levels are ass about.

Because Flickr now expects people to pay for images to be displayed on external (3rd party websites), the complete article with images has been moved to here:

http://vk4ghz.com/zl2bkc-zl-pll-programming-lead/
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster

Re: ZL2BKC ZL PLL programming lead

Post by ZL2BKC »

Adam,

Thanks for taking the time on writing this up and sharing it. I'm sure others will find it helpful, and it clearly demonstrates how easy it is to change the frequency (or output level) of the board which is one of my intentions as most of the other options in the market are a lot more complicated to reprogram, or OS specific.

One small point regarding TeraTerm: It has an upper limit on the highest Com port, and often windows will use a number higher than the upper limit.
Either renumber the port (Device Manager -> Com Ports -> Comxx -> Advanced), or use a more modern terminal program such as PuTTY.

PS. I still have a few boards left in stock with more on the way next week. More information can be found here viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10827 or http://www.zl2bkc.com - if interested themn please email me at w.knowles (at) xtra.co.nz

Wayne ZL2BKC
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

Warning. Whats a computer ?? Now you understand where im at can we please have someone post how to program these things.
I really like the bit where its explained in full on how to connect it up and then it says have fun? WTF. Seems to me the important bits were missed.

Iv had a zlpll board for a short while but never programmed it.

Help.

mark.
VK4REX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4REX »

Hey Mark

What was the brand of Jungle Juice for today ??? :think:
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

ZL2WHO wrote:Warning. Whats a computer ?? Now you understand where im at can we please have someone post how to program these things.
I really like the bit where its explained in full on how to connect it up and then it says have fun? WTF. Seems to me the important bits were missed.

Help.

mark.
The important bits are in the ZLPLL user manual. Section 5.3 (p8) talks about the programming of the PLL.

Have you connected your computer to the PLL using the specified cable and some kind of terminal program set to 9600 baud?

When you type D or d do you get a display similar to that listed above?
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Re: ZL2BKC ZL PLL programming lead and beaconz.

Post by ZL2WHO »

Hi Lou.

Main problem is that iv dived into it without becoming accustomed to the " how to's" after all how hard can it be !.

After swearing at Putty a few times i managed to get a blank putty screen. Now normally a blank screen is a bad thing ! but not here. Here a bad thing the screen would have said error or not connected or something like that. You can see now how it can be confusing.

To be honest i sent a quick text message to Wayne, and a short phone call followed. While the zlpll has hand shaked to the PC you need to tell it to do something or all you get is a dull stare in the way of a blank screen. I can manage the dull stare anytime of the day, without computers being involved.

As you mentioned now pressing the D and enter the blank screen display's the frequencies.

Before purchasing the zlpll i had Wayne input some frequencies of interest. 50.050, 144.125 432.xx and 88.0 96.0 and 108 Mhz for my FM broadcast doings.
My reason for a change is so i can enter up to 10x 23cm frequencies spread between 1280 and 1320 so i can effectively sweep a panel ant and use the bird to see the results. no flash sweeping gear here sorry. As it stands 25 watts in shows 1.5 reflected for a single panel.

All this is for the VK leg of the 1296.271 beacon. The lid is on the 40W PA, it has a good variable power control and if fitted a low power switch so safe testing can be done without the worry of destroying a final.
Next step is to make a phased set of stacked panel ants, we should expect 1.6kW EiRP with 40 w input, and yes all facing VK 24/7.
Should raise some eyebros during the summer months if the past opening is anything to go by.

Wayne said that the PLL can be controlled via the keyboard so that it will go up and down in freq by + and - keys, but at this early time i wanted to keep is simple.
Ok so it would seem i have my head around this fantastic little PCB. Well done Wayne. Go buy one they are a must for vhf/uhf ehf enthusiasts in my book.

50.024 will also go JT65 and wspr also hopefully for the summer.

And Rex.. the juice needed a little vodka..

Good to push the boundaries..

Mark.
ZL3RC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3RC »

ZL2WHO wrote:Warning. Whats a computer ?? Now you understand where im at can we please have someone post how to program these things.

Help.

mark.
Once you get it going it is FUN.
Ive got it going on a Mac using Terminal and a USB to serial adaptor and its great.
Im using one of Wayne's beacon versions so I can change the CW message and all the other stuff. Ive got an old Jaycar WIB (Web server In a Box) which has some IO ports you can drive and read from the WEB. It also as a serial port which you can drive the ZLPLL with so all sorts of possibilities. Like changing the beacon CW message to include the strength of a RX sig. It has RXed during its not keying period. :lol:
Just playing.

Roger.
Roger
ZL3RC aka ZL3THQ RE66FL
http://www.qrz.com/db/ZL3THQ.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi Mark,

Good to hear you've got it going.
Lou - VK3ALB