Post by VK2ZRH »

We await with bated breath :wink:

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4OE
Frequent Poster

Re: XRef - 10MHz-Locked Reference Oscillator

Post by VK4OE »

Greetings to all.

To possibly assist other experimenters/installers, I just thought I'd add three pics of the way I have installed my one of this interesting accessory for the FT-817. Due to the thickness of the die cast rear panel, I milled away a half a mm or so to allow enough thread to be exposed for connecting to this SMA. This also removed the unevenness caused by the 'ANT' writing above the SO-239 connector.

Cheers and 73,

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.
Xref-FT-Pic0.jpg
Xref-FT-Pic1.jpg
Xref-FT-Pic2.jpg
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Hi All,

Looks like there's a bit of a common thread here. I used an SMB connector that I picked up at a swapmeet. As Doug said, the back panel is fairly thick. I drilled the hole for the connector, then very carefully countersunk it on the inner side using a much larger drill bit until the connector sat in far enough for the nut to be screwed on from the outside:
XRef in FT-817
XRef in FT-817
Of course, when drilling, be very careful not to get metal chips into the rig. I use a cordless drill at very low speed and with the rig inverted.

Regards,
Dave.
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

I've created a new web page for the XRef including more of the test result plots.

You can find it at http://www.vk3hz.net/XRef/XRef_Home.html

Regards,
Dave.
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2XAX »

Hi Dave,

Here is some phase noise plots performed on my FT-817 at 432.1 Mhz

The values track well with what you have measured.

Tests done with OEM oscillator, xref by itself and the xref driven by a Trimble Thunderbolt.

regards

Tim
Attachments
FT-817-xref-phasenoise-plots.gif
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK
VK5KK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5KK »

Hi All

Some photo's of XRef-FT installed in a FT857

There is just enough room to drill a hole for a SMA connector on the topside of the rear panel near to the external speaker socket as per the photo
below. The connector neatly sits just under the cover edge when re installed.
FT857_1a.jpg
The heatsink is 6mm thick so a bit of challenge to mount a connector without having to counter sink the body. Luckily I have a supply of long F+F bulkhead SMA adapters
that were long enough to mount without having to counter sink the hole.
FT857_2a.jpg
The body of the SMA partially covers the internal speaker connector on the PCB (2pin same as FT817) making it hard to plug in (but clears ok once installed). I have made up a short extension M+F speaker lead (not in photo) so the speaker lead can be plugged into a floating connector.

Cheers

David VK5KK
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Hi all

I have just completed the installation of an Xref board in my 817
817Xref.JPG
I used a bulkhead SMA socket with some silverplated microcoax already attached as per the example of others.

I have however noticed an "issue" which perhaps others have noticed

If I apply a 10 MHz reference from my GPS unit and switch on the 817 it locks perfectly. If I then disconnect the 10 MHz source the radio goes dead, which I understand is correct

If I switch on the 817 without the 10 MHz source connected but with the external coax lead still attached the radio "takes off" and goes into oscillation. Short the open end of the reference coax and the rig locks perfectly with its on board oscillator.

Remover the coax cable completely from the SMA socket and again the oscillator locks perfectly. Add a longer length to the 10 MHz coax and again all is stable.

So it seems some random lengths of coax left on the 10 MHz input may prevent the oscilator from working properly. A trap for young players!

Incdentally applying a 10 MHz signal when the radio is already working on its inernal oscillator again makes the radio go dead - I assume this too is expected?

I did ground the internal coax shield at the XRef board end even though the instructions did not confirm this either way. (ie it is grounded at both ends) was this the intended way?

A tremendous piece of work by all those concerned with its development, I am really pleased.

Cant wait for the boards tocome available for the TS2000

Kevin VK4UH Brisbane
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Hi Kevin,

Yes, if you connect or disconnect the external 10 MHz, you need to cycle power to restart the board. This minor inconvenience allowed a great simplification of the circuitry allowing it to all fit on the board!

And yes, you should ground the 10 MHz coax at the board end, to the ground strip running along the edge.

I haven't observed the issue to which you refer, despite using a variety of coax lengths during testing. However, I'll have a closer look.

Regards,
Dave.
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Thanks David

How far away are boards for the TS2000 and the IC910?

I have just laid out the green and bought a new IC9100 with a 30.00 MHz local oscillator. Will there be a version for locking it too?

Kevin VK4UH
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Kevin,

For the 30MHz oscillator there is an alternative solution.

http://g4hup.com/DFS30/DFS30%20TechMan.pdf

We are using 3 of his units on our Field Day 706 rigs with great success.

Pretty much the same sort of connection to the rig, but in this case it is a tripler circuit with appropriate filtering.

I would expect the performance to rival any offereings that XDK and HZ can come up with.

Like you, I am waiting for a couple of TS2000 models to get our 1296 signal "dead on".

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I've used the G4HUP solution on my old IC746, but there is another solution nearer to home... Minikits. They do a GALI-84 tripler/amp. This is currently what I use on my IC910 with a Rubidium source.

http://www.minikits.com.au/electronic-k ... i-84-30MHz

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

I'm assuming you're getting the 10.066667 MHz from a programmable version of the FE-5680A? Have you checked the phase-noise performance?

More info: http://www.ka7oei.com/10_MHz_Rubidium_FE-5680A.html
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2XAX »

VK3HZ wrote:I'm assuming you're getting the 10.066667 MHz from a programmable version of the FE-5680A? Have you checked the phase-noise performance?

More info: http://www.ka7oei.com/10_MHz_Rubidium_FE-5680A.html
One of the many excellent articles on the FE5680, but as we have found.... not all FE5680's are created equal.

See our own experiments on the FE5680's here...

www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10180

I've done phase noise tests and harmonic tests on my 910, with and without RB, but I cant seem to find them, so I'll just have to do them again :D

regards

Tim
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Hi Kevin,
VK4UH wrote: ... it seems some random lengths of coax left on the 10 MHz input may prevent the oscillator from working properly.
I've tested with various lengths of coax and have been unable to duplicate your problem. If it is an issue for you, return the board and I'll ship a replacement.

I have observed that the FT-817 itself often does not recover to correct operation after having the reference frequency removed then replaced. Cycling power is the only answer.

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Installing the xRef must of one of the easiest, least painful project I've done since contracting this microwave disease. Thanks David for this most useful addition to my 817.
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Re: XRef - IC-910H Version Available

Post by VK3HZ »

We've now completed development of the XRef Versatile. We are going through the process of adapting and testing them for different frequencies and levels required for different radios. We're also documenting the installation process.

The first release now available is for the Icom IC-910H pictured below.
XRef-VS installed in an IC-910H
XRef-VS installed in an IC-910H
There are two versions of the XRef Versatile:
- the XRef-VT with onboard TCXO. This completely replaces the radio's own reference oscillator with the TCXO being used when the external 10 MHz reference is not connected.
- the XRef-VS with onboard power switching. This is used when the radio's own reference is to be used when the external 10 MHz reference is not connected.

If the IC-910H is fitted with the optional CR-293 High Stability Crystal Unit, then it is recommended to use the XRef-VS so that the radio will fall back to the CR-293 when there is no 10 MHz connected.
If the radio is standard, then the choice is up to you. There have been varying reports on the stability of the standard oscillator. The XRef-VT should provide better fall-back stability but at a slightly higher cost.

One outcome from the redesign is that we've been able to reduce the cost and have passed this on to you.
For VK purchasers, the XRef-VT is $130 and the XRef-VS is $120, plus $3 postage for up to 3 units.

More details are here: http://www.vk3hz.net/XRef/XRef_Home.html (corrected)

If you are interested in the XRef Versatile, please contact me on xref@vk3hz.net

Regards,
David Smith
VK3HZ
Last edited by VK3HZ on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

http://www.vk3hz.net/XRef/XRef_Home.html is the working link fyi.

just need a ic9100 version :D thanks
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK4FLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4FLR »

Please let me know when you get to a FT847 mod
following with interest
Frank VK4FLR
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

....and a "final" version for TS590/TS2000!
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

The TS-2000 is next in line, followed closely by the FT-847 (both being rigs that I own!)

Regards,
Dave.