IC2820H anomaly on Rx... noise

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK2GOM

IC2820H anomaly on Rx... noise

Post by VK2GOM »

Something I just noticed this morning by chance... Listening to a rather scratchy repeater, I happened to operate the menu to show two bands on the display rather than mono band, and the background noise dropped noticeably.

I did a few more tests, switching back and forth between one band on the display, and two bands on the display. All the time, the band actually being listened to was on the right hand side/knob of the radio.

Very repeatable too... I wonder is this a trait of the radio? A fault? From what I can see it is better to have both bands showing on the display from a sensitivity to weak signals point of view.

I wonder if there's anyone else out there with an IC2820H that can verify this? I have the D-STAR board in mine too, not that that should make much difference? And out of interest, the left hand knob/band of the radio was the VK2RWN D-STAR gateway.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK7DB

Re: IC2820H anomaly on Rx... noise

Post by VK7DB »

Were you listening to the same repeater on each side of the radio?

Edit: Perhaps I should spend more time reading. Reason I ask is on some of my dual IF radios, receiving the same signal into a common speaker must cause some sort of phase cancellation in there and it causes a strange effect.

Cheers,
Dion.