Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Whats in a callsign

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK3OT 50110.7 WP4O FB Ed QSL 2223 15 Jan Puerto Rico
WP4O 50110.0 VK3OT EL87RV<F2>QF12AG 2223 15 Jan Australia

Imagine you call a VK7 and he is in VK3

Imagine you call a KP4 QTF 115 and he is in Florida 090 and u nearly lose him.

These Florida retirees and starting to give me the irits

N9HF 50107.0 VK3OT calling you 2239 15 Jan FLORIDA

23-Jan-2012 23:04 N8PR Peter CW Hollywood Florida EL96va

15-Jan-2013 22:20 WP4O Ed CW Tampa Florida EL87rv

23-Jan-2012 23:00 W9DR David CW Punta Gorda Florida EL86xv

WFWL
Tread your own path :om:
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Re: Whats in a callsign

Post by VK3HJ »

This "Vanity Call" thing in USA is a pain in the neck. You can't assume the state from the call number.
Another mild inconvenience is the often incorrect CQ Zone number in the QRZ.com profile, mostly for US stations.
A First World Problem, I guess...
I tend to avoid calling US stations, unless it is a special event callsign.
Luke VK3HJ
VK2XQ

Post by VK2XQ »

I have the very same problem With New Zealand, as I chase grid squares I am always on the look out for new contacts. Frustration is working a ZL4 only to find that he is domiciled in the far northern island ZL1 and nowhere near the South Island. There are many ZL's who do not fall into the ZL districts map.

With the Americans, I gave up on asking where they were, work now, work them out later. The majority of USA ops will tell you their state as they issue the signal report.

Maybe one day we will see the same thing in VK, one callsign, free to operate from any state or territory without the need to change?

Recent change noted in Australia is the dropping of the locality suffix on VK9 calls, no more VK9N, VK9L, VK9M etc, just blah blah blah oblique VK9 now. Ask the op, check the net, or work it out for yourself, lovely eh?

Jack D. Haden VK2XQ (QF-56ne)
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

DXpeditions to the French External Territories, which are all over the world, often have a "TO" or "TX" special prefix, so again one must do some homework to be sure where the station is. Sometimes the special prefix is used in France too.
Another case of rules being defined by exceptions. Nowadays, it's not too hard to look up the information, but it is an additional, necessary step. Then, one must ensure that the QSO is entered under the correct entity in the logging program. Where would be be without the Internet, HI!
Luke VK3HJ