AIS - Using RX discriminator output

AIS specific discussion
VK2FAK

Re: AIS Marine Traffic Tracking (tropo indicator)

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi All..

Leigh I think you asked the question can you use the ACC connector...now assuming I am talking about the same radio that you guys have, the IC-910H the answer would probably be NO...

There should be to other 6 pin sockets on the back panel.... "Sub band data socket" and a "main band data socket".

Pin 4 is the 9600 baud connection to both sockets.....I'm not sure how the sub and main band thing works but you could try both..

anyway....Pin 4 is the 9600 baud outputs and Pin 2 is the Gnd for data in , data out and AF out, on both sockets.

Rob may be able to confirm this...and if I am talking about the right radio..?

John
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi John, yes that is correct in terms of pinout. 6p mini DIN. The 'main' socket just refers to the main band showing on the top of the screen, and the 'sub' socket for the sub-band.

I left mine running this morning on a different laptop (10" notebook) and got zero decodes!

So the soundcards might have something to do with it.

I'll wait 'til my Uniden scanner arrives, mod that, and see how it goes, which will show if there is a radio issue or not.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

HI All...

The sound card issue is what I had pick up here and there..while looking around...they say the external ones are much better to use...

Rob I would have thought you would be getting heaps of signals coming out of Sydney ...?

John
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi John - I have an E-MU 0202 192kHz soundcard that I use with my SDR gear. I could try and make up leads for that and give it a try... but I think the common theme here is the radio.

As I mentioned, if I change nothing, but use the scanner and it starts working reliably, question answered.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

The radio is not the only common theme....sound cards most are using......But sure can't hurt to try another radio...pity you can't borrow one..

if all it takes is to make up some leads I would certainly do that first....won't cost as much as a scanner....just to try.

John
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

It will be a cheap experiment... I think they had this scanner priced wrong! It's a couple of hundred at the radio shops around VK, and still fetches nearly $200 second hand. This one was priced at $49. Couldn't say no! It will be handy for other things too, like monitoring local repeaters etc., not to mention weather satellites.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi John/Rob

In the IC910 manual it indicated that the ACC socket could have 9600 from it, but it was not realy clearly explained, but as mentioned the other data sockets definately do run 9600. Perhaps I need to get something running from those ports to test. Not sure if I have a mini Din, will see what I can find.
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi All....

The audio at the ACC socket I think is just the standard audio taken before any volume control thus a fixed output level..
Where the other connection on the data sockets is taken from the discriminator . This is the one you want...

damn...I have way to much time on my hands....Hi Hi

John
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I'll second that - the Acc socket is no good for 9600 applications. Reading around the bazzars confirms that. Jaycar do the mini 6p DIN's quite cheaply. Not the nicest metal to solder, but it can be done. Use a hot iron.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Rob, Jaycar pt number CAT. NO. PP0366 ?
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Yes, that's the one. 9600 signal off pin 4, shield to pin 2. Page 52 of the Icom manual shows the pinout. Just be aware the view shown is looking into the socket on the radio... And of course make sure you plug it into the socket for the band you are using.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all..

If you have an old computer keyboard laying around you may be lucky....I think its the same type of connector...just the cable and find the wires you need...

John
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK2FAK wrote:Hi all..

If you have an old computer keyboard laying around you may be lucky....I think its the same type of connector...just the cable and find the wires you need...

John
or an old mouse...or a new one :lol:
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Ive found a 6 mini DIN to USB adaptor, so I have plugged a USB cable into it and chopped one end off, im just identifying which wire goes to pin 4 now.
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

USB = 4 connections, mini DIN = 6, you might be unlucky and find the pins you need aren't terminated. Or conversely, watch out in case two connections from the DIN side are connected together at the USB adaptor side. It could send your radio into Tx, or worse!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Nope its fine. Ive tested it with multimeter for continuity PIN 4 & taken that to audio connector and the braid or screen.
Only got 2 and flashing 3rd bar of audio level on the program, looking to see if I can boost that at all.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

When I plug the Mini DIN in, I cant scan any longer, the two channels, which freq would have the most traffic ?
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I don't know the answer to that question... I tried both, and got about equal decodes (2 or 3!) on both. I tended to use 161.975 more as it was further away from a bad carrier that was permanently centred on about 162.015.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

I hate to say this Leigh but I just connected my PCR1500 to the PC and by the time I set the level and went back to the Ship Plotter screen I had 4 ships showing at the local port.

So I changed to AISMon and within 30secs I had 6 valid and 100% no errors.

Have left AISMon running for a while to see how many I receive. I prefer Ship Plotter however as at least it shows where the ships are. I don't have AISMon set to send to the database. Only on the local laptop at the moment.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all.

That program I downloaded just to have a look....AIS Decode....and you saw some Pics I posted a little while back,,has the option, if you want to download Google Earth to plot the ships on a map....for your own use..

John