Rig audio over Wifi Network?

VK2GOM

Rig audio over Wifi Network?

Post by VK2GOM »

I'm just wondering if anyone has managed to feed their rig Rx audio into a PC in a remote (in my case, upstairs) shack, and stream the audio over a wireless home network, and be able to open a window on another PC and play it back, real time?

Is there software for such an application that will accept audio from a Mic input, and not just stream a .wav / .mp3 file?

To be able to hear my radio running upstairs on the downstairs PC would be great, thus avoiding the 40°C+ temperature upstairs!

Any pointers welcome.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Re: Rig audio over Wifi Network?

Post by VK4TI »

Simple way is run a remote desk top on the machine upstairs and all functionality will be on the down-stairs machine
there are several and if you are unsure google " remote desktop" , several good freebies
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

Where I lived before my shack was way out back and so I used IP-Sound which is a small utility you load in both computers and it streams live audio from my shack to where I was.
I never tried the microphone side of it, just monitoring the radio audio was sufficient for me. I suppose Skype could be used as well or any of the messenger series of programs. You could also use one of the programs like logmein or teamviewer I guess.

I found using ip-sound and ham radio deluxe remote I was able to monitor and tune around remotely. As I said it suited my purpose. Whether it would for you I don't know.

The program is no longer supported by the author (Swedish author) but I found this link for the software thats still going
http://f6bcl.free.fr/reception/english.htm

Either you or someone else might find it useful.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK3AMZ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AMZ »

HI Rob

I've found IP-Sound to work OK, just goggle it and you'll find the download site. You can tailor your bandwidth requirements and I've found no issues using Windows 7, as the operating system.

73's Arie
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Try WM Encoder.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Thanks chaps, IPSound is up and running. Brilliant!

Listening to 2m happening right now from the comfort of downstairs in front of an air conditioning unit :D

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK7DB

Post by VK7DB »

Ive streamed audio over the wifi network to my squeezebox on my stereo before. I think I used Winamp to do that. Listening to 10 metres SSB on a 2KW stereo system is unusual. :)
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I was after an audio solution for my IC910 on 2m. This looks interesting though... I wonder how much...

Second step will be either Remote Desktop or HRD remote to tune the radio remotely.

Not too fussed about transmitting, just want to see what I can hear.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

set up the rig on RemoteHam.com - set it to private so only you can use it install the RCForb client on the laptop - you will need to interface the rig to its computer running the rCForb server etc quite simp-le to setup - now you can not only fully access the rig from downstairs but you can still listen to the 2m WIA News broadcast on a Sunday morning while having coffee at MacDonalds.
Using this setup you have complete control of the rig , audio and if your not a F class op then tranmit remotely
John
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

thanks for this guys my shack is out back in the shed that icom rs-bai looks just the ticket for me with the ic7200 now I can spend more time in the house while listening to 10m or what ever great stuff
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Read the reviews before you part with your hard earned dollars...

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9940

The Ham Radio Deluxe (free) solution might suit you better.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EM »

In a previous life, I had a shack in the back of the house, and the garage was some distance away in the back yard. When I was doing construction things, I would put the HF rig audio into one channel of a cheap 2.4GHz A/V link transmitter.
In the garage, I had the A/V link receiver, which I took the audio out of and put into a small audio amp.
I bought many of the A/V links cheap at Wyong F/D, with some 5.7GHz ones amongst them. Cheap and easy solution to a complex problem. :D

Bruce VK2EM
Bruce VK2EM
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

What about one of these low powered FM Stereo transmitters that work on the broadcast band?
You could even feed two channels of audio.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
ZL3ADT
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3ADT »

I have been using a Chinese FM low power transmitter for 2 years,and 2metres into one channel and 6 other.

Its better than using another ham band for link.Set Fm band radios in house to it.Have even got a tiny Sony radio with noise cancelling headphones for mowing lawn etc.

Can go mobile around local village and hear the dead band as usual!!

Ross