Any interest in a transverter for the LOW bands?

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3XDK

Re: Any interest in a transverter for the LOW bands?

Post by VK3XDK »

Just noticed, the IRL510 on the schematic should be a mosfet symbol .
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

Ive spent a bit of time playing with the irl510 mosfet output stage
16dbm input gives over 10Watt output, the will need some cleaning up though. 21dbm gives over 20Watt (but the MMic driver cant put out this level (18dbm max)) Note: this is on a vero-board type arrangement.

There is LOTS of heat produced by the IRL510 and needs plenty of heatsinking. I'm thinking I may try a IRF520 Mosfet instead (It should handle the power better)
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

As A 10Mhz IF is not an option for most (puts 475khz to 10.475Mhz),
Ive been looking at inexpensive/easy options.
It makes sense that a 28 or 50Mhz IF is used, this puts 475khz at 28.475 or 50.475 (talk about one extreme to another!)
50Mhz (full dil14) can oscillators are plentiful and cheap.
and I have found a seller on ebay that will produce the same package oscillators at any frequency from 1-133Mhz, Ive ordered a couple for 28.000Mhz to give them a go (2 for US$13.20 including postage)

BTW some transceivers have a transverter function that allows 10.475 to be used.
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5TX »

What is the seller graham?
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

Some of the more observant may notice small changes in the schematic over time!

Likely to be many changes, especially in RX and PA section.
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

An Update on proceedings!

The PCB's arrived yesterday, still waiting on mixers and a couple of odd bits and pieces.

Put together the board (up to the mixer) for initial testing.

Board worked very well straight up! (I amazed myself :) (It was all "in theory")) minor stability issues on RX and TX. TX fixed with a larger by-pass cap on supply. RX is good except with a bad input load BUT will be fixed in the coming days.
-10dbm Input (after mixer)(anticipated drive level (after mixer))(at the moment) gives around 8W output, I think that I'll be able to get more! (waiting on power inductors)
Second and third harmonic @ 8W is around 25-30dbc (without optional output filter) and around 30-40dbc with optional output "pi filter" There is room for improvement here.

RX stage (including "tight filters" fore and aft) is showing around 25db gain. Filters are rejecting 820khz (approx broadcast band) by over 22db (second output filter not yet tested). (hope to supply some rejection plots soon)
I'm working on some slight changes for total stability.
I am anticipating around 6-10db of mixer loss and another 4-6db if the optional RX filter is added. So actual conversion gain (so far) will be around 9 to 15db (should easily overcome losses without over-loading anything)

So there we have it so-far
The updates are shown on the included schematic (attachment)
So those of you who wish to build something yourselves, the schematic shown has a very good "tested to work" RX and TX section!

Schematic is now obsolete, and has been deleted (see more recent posts for the updated version)

Cheers, Graham VK3XDK
Last edited by VK3XDK on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

*** Tested to this Pint so-far SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING!!! (should be point) (maybe i was thinking beer?)
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Thinking beer is good, Graham :lol:

Keep up the good work. It's good to see the thought processes happening through the development.

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK2ZRH wrote:Thinking beer is good
You have beer that can think? :shock:
It's alive!!! (cue music from Psycho)
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

OK, OK. The grammar could be improved. Thinking OF beer is implied. :)

Now. Back to low band transverters . . .

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I definitely won't be drinking ANY beer before trying to solder in those nasty little SMD's that we can expect in the transverter! :(

But I will definitely have a few beers when I get it on the air :D

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

The BFG196 (BFG135a) RX device is biased high, this improves IP3 (Dynamic range/strong signal handling /Intermod)
The device is running fairly hot! I'm thinking about lowering the bias a bit or perhaps having an alternative bias?

Yesterday I also hooked the transverter to an antenna and my TS2000 to have a listen.
I was amazed how much quieter the band is with the transverter in place (good-selective front end).

BTW, many will find (including myself) that typical antenna tuners will not tune low enough for this band (may be different if a had a reasonable antenna :) )
Typical antenna tuners are "lowpass" filters, and will let everything through under their tuning point. (actually sometimes favoring their tuning point)

An appropriate antenna and tuner is also going to help both with RX and TX (selectivity(out of band rejection)on RX and output filtering on TX )
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I have just received a copy of the book "LF Today - a guide to success on 136 and 500kc" by Mike Dennison G3XDV and Jim Moritz M0BMU.

There is a lot of practical down to earth (pun intended :D ) info in it and well worth the cost of 13 GBP.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

been fine tuning some values,
Things are looking great! Getting 5-8watt out with all harmonics better than -44dbc, I have had the output even cleaner (better than -50dbc) but I doubt it can be reliable with variations in components.
There could be some more changes but I think we're close enough to call it.

From my "rough" tests, I doubt if anyone has a standard hf amateur transceiver that has the selectivity/Dynamic range or sensitivity on 472-479khz that is available with the circuit I'm supplying. (Just about to raise my shield :) )
But of course everything else (ie antenna/tuner) needs to be correct or result could be very disappointing?

I also need to point out (some have been confused) that this transverter is linear, so ALL modes will work! (not just the non linear modes, such as CW, FM, digital ect)

An updated schematic should appear on this forum tomorrow :)
VK2CCJ

Post by VK2CCJ »

Looks good Graham,

Might just the thing for my underutilised F817ND, any time frame for the kits ?

An interested party,
Cliff V2CCJ
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

OK, final schematic (I hope :) )

RX conversion gain is around 10-15db (little bit higher than I was aiming for), might pay to use attenuation on the chosen IF rig.

The kits will likely be available (limited numbers) in one or two weeks, (Im waiting on some components)
Price will be AUS$80, there is a high component count. (lots of work for me :( )

I will try to get a photo up soon.

cheers, Graham VK3XDK
Attachments
Amended Again!  8/3/13
Amended Again! 8/3/13
LF HF Transverter schematic.TIF (337.93 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Last edited by VK3XDK on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Count me in for one please :mrgreen:

For anybody interested in these units, I had a quick look at the kit the other night at Graham's and they look really nice.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

The RX filter changes in the last schematic give,

27db of rejection @950khz without the optional filter stage (and around 10db of RX conversion gain)
45db of rejection @950khz with the optional filter stage (and around 4db of RX conversion gain)

Low side rejection is far better (characteristic of these filters) but I havnt got any figures yet.
VK5ACY

Post by VK5ACY »

Count me in for a transverter, building gear 'keeps me off the streets' !

Bill VK5ACY
BOWHILL Sth. Aust.
PF95sb