Rope to guy tower

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Rope to guy tower

Post by VK4WTN »

hi all just a quick question has anybody used rope instead of guy wire to guy their tower. I have a 12Meter 2 stage tower and wanted to use rope for the top guys to minimise interaction to some aerials on a H frame, which the lower aerials will be below the top of the tower. Any suggestions on the type of rope, I guess low stretch and 300kg plus breaking UV protected rope is what I will be looking at. And also s good supplier in VK
regards Wayne VK4WTN
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Re: Rope to guy tower

Post by VK2TS »

Hi Wayne

I have employed 6mm Spectra marine rope (dark green in colour) and It is strong (i think 1.5 tonne breaking strain from memory) . I have no idea why anyone would consider Galvanized clothesline wire (and that's all it is) in this day and age. No need for insulators to break up the conductive line, and where i live, within a couple of kilometres from the coast why would you bother? Keep to the dark colours, white is a complete loss. The white stuff will last you a year if you are lucky because it isn't UV resistant, like clear cable ties.

My 20Cents worth

And the cockies have got no chance in the world as the XYL feeds them.

If you need some I will get it for you.
Tony
VK2TS
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4WTN »

hi Tony, just had a look at Spectra rope on the internet . It looks like it will work ok on my tower.I just dont want metal guy wires anywhere near the antennas.
Thanks again and have a great new year
regards Wayne VK4WTN
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

I have a wind-up Hills triangular lattice tower, about 15m. It has a Hex Beam and a 6m 3 el bird perch on it.
Not wanting to muck about with wire and insulators also, I looked for a non-conductive alternative.
You can get Phillystran and similar, but wanted to get something locally.
I have been buying my rope from Rope Galore, in NSW. http://www.ropegalore.com.au
Reasonable prices, and quick delivery.
For my tower, I used 10mm polyester double braid yacht rope, 2650kg breaking strain. 100m roll for $157 plus AusPost delivery.
You could probably use 8mm or even 6mm, but SWL is in the order of 1/7th bs, but I wouldn't go larger, as it is heavy.
Forget the rope packs in your local hardware store. They are convenient, but the products from this rope supplier are far better.
And I learned some nice knots in the application of this rope too!
Luke VK3HJ