UK gets 5MHz free of charge

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

UK gets 5MHz free of charge

Post by VK2AXL »

From the 1st January 2013 all full license holders in the UK get a free Notice of Variation to their license for 5MHz.

http://www.rsgb.org.uk/operating/novapp ... online.php

In other words, all full tickets get 5MHz without the need for paperwork or payment of fees.

I signed up with my UK callsign and got the NOV emailed over. Shame I'm in the wrong country to use it.

But we'll get it soon. I have faith.
Jack VK2AXL
VK4DU

Re: UK gets 5MHz free of charge

Post by VK4DU »

5 MHz is used throughout the Pacific for land mobile and point to point comms networks.

Many of these networks are used for safety of life applications.

Glenn VK4DU
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I have worked in Papua New Guinea and throughout the Pacific for about 30 years and Glen is absolutely right.

5MHZ in this region is used for point to point and mobile networks involving thousands of stations throughout the Pacific, many of them hospitals and medical clinics. The band is also widely used by the government and emergency services in these countries.

These networks will not move to accommodate "hobby radio" and should not be expected to.

IMO, even if the ITU grants a 5MHZ ham band, there is absolutely no possibility of VK hams getting anything more than a couple of crystal-locked channels for low-power use, and even that is unlikely.

The danger of Australian originated signals interfering with medical and other "safety of life" services is just too risky. :shock:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

Exactly, Wayne.

Glenn
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AXL »

If anyone is interested to see the UK allocation, they actually got 11 bands. Some are wide enough for maybe 4 SSB transmissions. I wouldnt be surprised if a channelised band plan appears soon.

One bigger band would have been better, but obviously this had to fit around existing services. There is aircraft, shipping and military on 5MHz. In fact during the trials UK hams were licensed to allow communication with military stations. I only heard of it happening once, a G was called by a military operator for a chat.

Jack VK2AXL
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

The Wikipedia article on the "60-meter band" is worth having a look at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/60-meter_band

It contains the wording of the WRC proposal. Note that this proposal uses the arument that a 5MHZ allocation could be used for inter-communication between hams and other services during emergencies. That is the basis for the Alaskan 60m ham band.

WICEN already has two 5MHZ channels for emergency use but only "type approved" land mobile equipment (note: not amateur equipment) and "non-amateur" callsigns can be used. Maybe they could be opened up for general ham use when they are not being used during an emergency or an emergency exercise? Maybe on a trial basis first?

It is my understanding that these WICEN frequencies were chosen so as to mimimise the liklihood of harmful interference to other services including PNG networks. Glen can probably confirm that.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AXL »

VK4WDM wrote:but only "type approved" land mobile equipment (note: not amateur equipment)
It would appear likely that *IF* we get some 5MHz freqs we'll have to use type approved commercial radios and not amateur equipment.
In the UK it is quite legal to own a "snipped diode" HF rig. Its only illegal if you use it outside amateur bands. Most (if not all) 5MHz users are using this type of radio.
However, the ACMA have made it clear that their interpretation of the radcomms act disallows amatuer equipment modified to transmit out of band.
So our alternatives would be -
commercial HF equipment programmed only for 5MHz
hope and pray an amateur radio manufacturer makes a rig suitable for Aussie 5MHz spec (very unlikely)
Crystal locked home brew
Australian purpose built transvertor
Or try and convince the ACMA to lighten up and let us be radio hams!

Or something else may happen in the mean time. This is a loooong way down the track :)
Jack VK2AXL
VK3XPT
Forum Novice

Post by VK3XPT »

VK2AXL wrote: In the UK it is quite legal to own a "snipped diode" HF rig. Its only illegal if you use it outside amateur bands. Most (if not all) 5MHz users are using this type of radio.
However, the ACMA have made it clear that their interpretation of the radcomms act disallows amatuer equipment modified to transmit out of band.
The way it is done in the UK is the way it should be done here. The ACMA's approach to this is absolutely ridiculous.

In fact, can someone call the police please? I have a car that is capable of of reaching 260km/h. It is parked in the shed, but you had better come and give me a speeding fine anyway...

Just my 2c...

Cheers

Perrin
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

VK4WDM wrote:
It is my understanding that these WICEN frequencies were chosen so as to mimimise the liklihood of harmful interference to other services including PNG networks. Glen can probably confirm that.

Wayne VK4WDM

Yes, Wayne. I was very closely involved with the allocations. Not sure if the channels are used much. I used them a couple of times with a commercial land mobile radio (Barrett 2050).

I listen now and again, and they are very quiet....

Glenn
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AXL »

VK3XPT wrote:The way it is done in the UK is the way it should be done here. The ACMA's approach to this is absolutely ridiculous.
100% agreement from this station.
Jack VK2AXL
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Me too, but this is Australia, Jack! As you can no doubt see compared to the UK they do unfortunately enjoy needlessly over-regulating things here. A license to make a cup of coffee for crying out loud - who'd have thought it? :roll:

5MHz will remain out of reach here, I fear, given pre-existing allocations and conflict with this type approvals thing.

I do hear it's a fun band for NVIS experimentation though... I have read some good things about it from hams back in the UK.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK3ZFS

Post by VK3ZFS »

As mentioned the large number of 5Mhz alocations used in this part of the world..I really doubt there will be a 5Mhz ham alocation comming soon :?:
Maybe ACMA could allow a alocation south of 30' south lattitude in VK and a max EIRP of 50watts :?:
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

One could possibly argue that the reason why it would be a good ham band is because of the success of the fixed and land mobile services using 5MHZ in places like PNG - reliable daytime comms out to about 400km. That is also the reason why WICEN has 5MHZ channels.

Maybe rather than a geographical restriction, make it daytime use only.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

5MHz is a sh!tty band for DX.
From a little bit of experience operating 5MHz from Vanuatu last year to try and satisfy some demand from US and EU 5MHz DXers, we found it was smashed by storm static all the time, and OTHR some of the time. We made about 2 dozen contacts, with USA, over several nights before giving up.
Good daytime local coverage is well noted. Perhaps a conditional band plan could apply, such as with 160m?
I.e., Do what you like during daylight hours, but after dark, DX (or primary users) has absolute priority.
It's horribly noisy at night anyway!
Luke VK3HJ
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AXL »

World 5MHz allocations

http://www.qsl.net/vk2axl/5mhz.pdf
Jack VK2AXL