REVEX SWR meter

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK6FT

REVEX SWR meter

Post by VK6FT »

I recently purchased a used Revex Model W540 SWR/Power meter. It covers both VHF and UHF. Would anyone have a copy of the user manual or circuit info? Reason is; the SWR calibration control is extremely touchy and I'm wondering if there's an adjustment inside for it, there's quite a few trimmers on the board inside and hopefully one of them is to 'tame down' the sensitivity of the meter a bit? I have a Diamond VHF/UHF SWR/Power meter as well and whilst it's accuracy is not good the SWR calibration is very easy to use.

Cheers Wayne, VK6FT
VK5AKK
Frequent Poster

Re: REVEX SWR meter

Post by VK5AKK »

Something sounds a bit odd here. Perhaps you have a dodgy patch lead, feedline or antenna. I would test it on low power into a dummy load before I started playing around with internal factory settings.
Cheers
Phil
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

Wayne,

I have a manual for a W560 that I can scan for you. It is normal for the meter to be very sensitive in calibration mode. I have owned 3 revex meters and all were the same.

PM me your email address.

Cheers

Adrian
VK6FT

Post by VK6FT »

Len, VK2CBL has sent me a copy of the manual. Thanks Adrian for your offer of a copy of the manual too but Len beat you to it! I had no intention of touching any of the settings unless the manual or some other info suggested that I should do so (and it doesn't) and so thanks Phil for telling me that it's 'normal' for the Revex to be a bit touchy to calibrate and yes all the tests to date were done with low power. Speaking of power - Whilst the Diamond is easier to calibrate, ie; it's not as touchy, it's accuracy leaves a bit to be desired which is why I brought the Revex. I have an IC-910 and when set on max power the Diamond says it's putting out 100 watts :D , the Revex on the other hand says it's putting out it's rated 80 watts.

Thanks for the replies.
Cheers Wayne, VK6FT
VK2SI

Post by VK2SI »

I also are in need of any schematics for the Revex W560 Vswr meter , any assistance would be greatly appreciated .
Problem : the germanium diodes in the HF side have been overloaded and cracked in half all four of them (maybe it was dropped at some time) ..

Regards
Fred
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6ZFG »

Hi Wayne

Try changing the potentiometer to a different curve (eg: log to linear). This will change the knob setting sensitivity "spead".
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

VK2SI wrote:I also are in need of any schematics for the Revex W560 Vswr meter , any assistance would be greatly appreciated .
Problem : the germanium diodes in the HF side have been overloaded and cracked in half all four of them (maybe it was dropped at some time) ..

Regards
Fred
Revex_W560_Operation_manual.pdf
W560 Operation Manual
(302.31 KiB) Downloaded 599 times
Fred,

This contains as close to a circuit diagram as I've been able to find. It reveals everything, except the finer details of the "sensors"...

I'd suggest emailing them, but my Googling so far has not revealed an email address, or website. Are they still obtainable these days, in VK? If so, the agent may have a path to them.

Barry
VK3BJM
VK2SI

Post by VK2SI »

Many thanks Barry , I will try and find genuine diodes but at the moment I will buy some 1N34A and try them ,will let you know the outcome .
Fred
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

VK6FT wrote:I recently purchased a used Revex Model W540 SWR/Power meter. It covers both VHF and UHF. Would anyone have a copy of the user manual or circuit info? Reason is; the SWR calibration control is extremely touchy and I'm wondering if there's an adjustment inside for it, there's quite a few trimmers on the board inside and hopefully one of them is to 'tame down' the sensitivity of the meter a bit? I have a Diamond VHF/UHF SWR/Power meter as well and whilst it's accuracy is not good the SWR calibration is very easy to use.

Cheers Wayne, VK6FT
I have the same SWR meter and it is a tad touchy otherwise it works fine. Did you purchase it new or second hand? Have you considered you might have a dirty/worn potentiometer. Might be possible to spray no residue type contact cleaner. The old freon spray was the best but the greenies got that banned.

Cheers
Tony

VK2TS
Tony
VK2TS
VK4APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4APN »

VK6FT wrote:I recently purchased a used Revex Model W540 SWR/Power meter. It covers both VHF and UHF. Would anyone have a copy of the user manual or circuit info? Reason is; the SWR calibration control is extremely touchy and I'm wondering if there's an adjustment inside for it, there's quite a few trimmers on the board inside and hopefully one of them is to 'tame down' the sensitivity of the meter a bit? I have a Diamond VHF/UHF SWR/Power meter as well and whilst it's accuracy is not good the SWR calibration is very easy to use.

Cheers Wayne, VK6FT
It might just be a dirty pot? I have had pots develop dead and dodgy sections of their track before. Worth checking out first before delving in.
Paul
VK4APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4APN »

VK2SI wrote:I also are in need of any schematics for the Revex W560 Vswr meter , any assistance would be greatly appreciated .

Regards
Fred
They must have been subjected to serious mechanical or electrical forces for them to be physically broken.

Any germanium diodes should work as a replacement (assuming they were germanium in first place). If you are really really concerned, then going to the trouble of installing "matched pairs" of diodes in each coupler may be in order. Whether that would make a material difference is debatable.
Paul