Birds on Antennae

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK4CRO
Frequent Poster

Birds on Antennae

Post by VK4CRO »

My previous antennae for 2m were 8mm elements and the cockatoos etc.
would perch on them and bend them but since I put up M2 antennae with
1/4 dia elements no more bent elements as they dont like the skinny perches
Hope this helps antenna buiders.
Regards Ron
Cheers
Ron cro
VK2XQ

Re: birds on antennae

Post by VK2XQ »

Inserting wooden dowel into the tubes also helps...Jack Haden VK2XQ.
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

Hot chilli paste mixed with petroleum jelly is another. Just makes antennas toxic for repairs too.
Cable ties can be used on both booms and elements. Cut them with about 1 inch long tail and cut them diagonal so they have a sharp point.
Birdies don't like them.
VK5APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5APN »

Hi

Another option is to fit tubing (irrigation etc) over the elements. Some form of devices (cable tie, grommet) to stop it slipping off the end.

Birds will land on it, but it will rotate around. They dont like that.

Just another thing to try.

Does this person have it bad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVoGZyAHHQA

Regards

Wayne

VK5APN
VK4TIM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TIM »

The birds on the antennas is a problem. They also S**t everywhere!
Don't have your antennas above your clothes line. I've learnt that one, yes, the hard way!.

I have used a small screw in the end of the element projecting vertically up from the element tip about 10-15mm, and then you run thin fishing line between screws so that it's 10-15mm above the top of the element. Small screws don't seem to affect the VSWR too much below 144, but doing that can be a problem at 432 and above.
Birds try to land on the element, and they don't like the taught fishing line between the element ends, especially when they can't see it. That approach works well.

I've also found that occasional dry ice bombs are effective means to scare away the birds. They don't like the bang!
Tim, VK4TIM.
QG62MM, Brisbane.
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

VK5APN wrote:Another option is to fit tubing (irrigation etc) over the elements. Some form of devices (cable tie, grommet) to stop it slipping off the end.
...surely the dielectric will de-tune the element? Even a 5" long black plastic element mounting insulator at the center of a 2m element is enough to measurably shift the SWR dip frequency quite some hundreds of kHz.

73, Bob ZL1RS
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

One thing I have seen done, but don't know how effective it is, is to put cable ties on the elements with the "tail" bit sticking up (ie, don't cut it). Perhaps someone who has tried it can say whether this works or not.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK6ADF wrote:One thing I have seen done, but don't know how effective it is, is to put cable ties on the elements with the "tail" bit sticking up (ie, don't cut it). Perhaps someone who has tried it can say whether this works or not.
I've done this on my TV antenna to stop the birds pooping on my solar panels. Works great!

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK4SP

Post by VK4SP »

:D
Last edited by VK4SP on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK2JH

Post by VK2JH »

Hi, a successful method I used was to have a bird feeder at ground level. I used to have an aviary right next to my Nally tower and beams and all the seed eaters, especially the cockies paid virtually no attention to my aerials, rather the aviary and bird seed feeder outside the aviary, hanging from a low branch. Only on a few rare occasions did I have to hit the Nally with some pipe to scare them off...... the feeder was not put there for aerial protection, t it did work a treat.

Cheers,

John
VK4JHC/VK2JH
Mount Hallen Qld
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

We had a freaky old neighbour over the back of us who kept feeding the birds in her backyard. In the end, there were around 60 doves floating around the rooftops of the neighbourhood all day, waiting for their next meal, crapping on everything and constantly knocking the elements on my 2m yagi out of alignment.

I tried everything from CD's to a fake owl to scare them off, but nothing really worked except occasionally going out and waving/whipping a squid pole around in the air. They eventually learned to stay clear of the area as it could happen at any time.

The BEST thing was when a powerful owl started hunting in our area and took a couple of them, but then the neighbour moved and the birds moved on of their own accord as there was no longer a regular meal for them.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

I borrowed my then 5 yo son's rubber snake and cable tied it to the top of my Nally tower..... The cockies ate it....
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

VK4DU wrote:I borrowed my then 5 yo son's rubber snake and cable tied it to the top of my Nally tower..... The cockies ate it....
Sorry, these kiddo snakes don't work!
Weiyun VK2FABS
VK4GJW

Re: Birds on Antennae

Post by VK4GJW »

The Americans seem to love using these!
Attachments
bird.jpg
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4CRO wrote:My previous antennae for 2m were 8mm elements and the cockatoos etc.
would perch on them and bend them but since I put up M2 antennae with
1/4 dia elements no more bent elements as they dont like the skinny perches
Hope this helps antenna buiders.
Regards Ron
I did some asking and found a locally produced silicone gel product available from a pest control , a thin bead of that along the numerous antenna elements makes the thing "sqooshy" no more birds :) :shock:
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Thought I'd add my bird solutions.
Bird solutions
Bird solutions
Mossberg 695 bolt action 12 gauge shotgun, usually a number 6 shot is good as it give a good spray of smaller pellets and it is :o loud! Word of caution though you cant really shoot anything thats perched on the antennas or the antennas will get damaged. Warning shots are quite effective in scaring anything within about 1/2 km or so.

Then there is also the .22 cal rifle, on the left side are hollow point slugs, if you have a really big bird like an Emu on there you can be pretty safe in that you wont hit the antenna.
On the right side are sparrow or rat shot, effective as a scarer at 60ft but wont really do any damage to birds or antennas at that height. 40ft probably at most they will get a good pain in the a***.

In most cases birds dont usually stop in here for a perch any longer, it seems word gets around in the bird community for a no fly zone after a while. When you have to get a crane to access antennas, this is important.