Computer- Radio connection

VK5MAT

Re: Computer- Radio connection

Post by VK5MAT »

There is something strange going on here!
I've tried all the permutations with no joy.
I have downloaded Commander and it is giving a bit more info than the other programs. The radio sends the first packet (10 hex values) then it appears the computer sends an acknowledgment and then nothing further happens. Perhaps the radio is not getting the acknowledgment back?
Darren
VK2NR
Forum Novice

Post by VK2NR »

Hi Darren,
With the Yaesu radios, you often need to "read" from the radio at least once before using the software to program it. If you try to write to the radio without reading from it first, you will get the symptoms that you are describing.
If you haven't already done this, give it a go.

Cheers,
Dave.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

Another thought, was the cable you got specifically for the VX5r or was the VX7r mentioned as well. The reason I ask is I seem to remember something mentioned on a email list I read about the plug for the VX7r was a little different. Now I can't remember if the programming cable for the 5 would not work in the 7 without using a sharp knife to trim the plug a bit to allow it to fit or a cable for a 7 would not work on a 5 without the trim job. If you have another plug, ie speaker mic perhaps have a close look to see if they are the same sizes and there is not a bit of extra plastic.

Just a thought.

The next thing would be to try and find someone else who has one locally and try their cable in yours and your cable in theirs.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK5MAT

Post by VK5MAT »

The cable is for the vx5r, the one for the vx7r has a collar around it and doesn't push all the way in.
There is some attempt at communication. The radio sends the first block of data(10 bytes of hex), the pc sends back an acknowledgment, then it all grinds to a halt! It doesn't seem the radio is receiving this acknowledgment.
I think I'll try ordering another cable from a different supplier, it could be that this one is only passing data one way. Unfortunately i don't know anyone with another cable I could try.
Darren
VK7JG

Post by VK7JG »

Hello Darren.
If you want a lend of a working cable I could post mine to you .
I have the . ADMS-1e suitable for VX-5R
It is a Serial connector so if you don't have a serial port will require a USB to serial converter which can also cause problems . If you wish can sen this as well as I know it works.

Give me your address ,you can email me at

vk7jgjoe@gmail.com.

Joe
VK7JG
VK5MAT

Post by VK5MAT »

VK7JG wrote:Hello Darren.
If you want a lend of a working cable I could post mine to you .
I have the . ADMS-1e suitable for VX-5R
It is a Serial connector so if you don't have a serial port will require a USB to serial converter which can also cause problems . If you wish can sen this as well as I know it works.

Give me your address ,you can email me at

vk7jgjoe@gmail.com.

Joe
VK7JG
Joe,

Thank you for the offer. That's incredibly generous!
I'll try buying another one as they are really cheap (maybe thats the problem, lol) I think the last one was $11.99 inc. postage!
A couple of months back, before I got the vx5r I had a guy who I had met for the first time offer to lend me a HT while I waited for mine. I think this says a lot about the type of people in the amatuer radio community :D .

It's only a small thing, but I'm not ready to let this problem beat me yet!!!

Darren
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

I hope you are thinking of buying from a different eBay Store, just in case the supply from there are all the same.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK5MAT

Post by VK5MAT »

Well, its been a while, but success at last!

I ordered another programming cable, serial port, not usb this time. It never turned up, so I contacted the seller who posted anoher one no questions asked. I must give him top marks for this.
Fired it up today and all is good!

I believe the original cable was working from a software point of view because I was able to get it to communicate with itself using a port testing program.
What may have been happening is that the cable/interface did not have quite enough voltage swing for the vx5. It's not a true +5v -5v data transmitter. It relies on most chips seeing anything over about 3v as a high (1) and anything lower than that as a low (0). How well this works will depend on the design of the particular radio involved and the values of the pull up/down resistors used.

Anyway I thought I would let you know what the outcome was and maybe this may be of some help if someone else finds they have the same problem.
Thank you very much for all the good suggestions and generous offers to loan cables.

Cheers,Darren