SK: Michael Owen, VK3KI

A place to remember those who have become a Silent Key (SK)
VK4DU

SK: Michael Owen, VK3KI

Post by VK4DU »

Vale Michael J. Owen VK3KI
--------------------------
Announcing the Passing of Michael J. Owen VK3KI WIA National President 2004 to September 22, 2012

It is with deep sadness that we report the sudden and unexpected passing of WIA President Michael Owen VK3KI after suffering a medical condition at his home on the afternoon of Saturday the 22nd of September.

http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php
Wireless Institute of Australia - http://www.wia.org.au
VK2JH

Re: Michael Owen, VK3KI SK

Post by VK2JH »

How sad, I never knew him personally, but he certainly was a tireless worker for the WIA.

John
VK4JHC/VK2JH
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

A great loss.
Michael was progressive and instrumental in implementing much needed reforms with the hobby.
Sad news.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Indeed sad news,
VK4GHZ wrote:A great loss.
Michael was progressive and instrumental in implementing much needed reforms with the hobby.
Sad news.
Michael was a compelling force and one of the reasons I re-joined the WIA after an absense of 20 years. I was looking forward to our customary sparing session at the local buy n sell in November.

Peter, vk5pj
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

I was a Director of the WIA with Michael and the late, great Chris Jones.

Michael and Chris were the new WIA. Now they are both gone. I remember Michael waking me up in Perth with a phone call advising of Chris' passing...

Michael and I never agreed 100% on everything, but his integrity, his competence and his drive for a professional WIA shone through.

Vale VK3KI
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

a sad day
I remember last year at the Ballarat ham fest I went up to the WIA stand to enquire about books and membership and Micheal was there unbeknownst to me who he was and he convinced me to join the WIA and move I have not regretted for a minute. he had a smile on his face and was happy to spend the few minutes to get me to join and explain the wia.
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1TPH »

It was very sad news indeed, more of a shock and so sudden. Have passed my condolences onto the WIA secretary…

Have met Michael a few times with his visits to ZL, at NZART executive council FTF meetings and dinner functions.

A real nice guy and down to earth person, he was very humble with his positions held, he was just a ham like the rest of us and had his heart in the hobby.

73 Steve, ZL1TPH
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

This is such a great shock... my sincere condolences to family and close friends, and my thanks for the effort he put in to the organisation & hobby.

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

I was shocked to hear on Monday morning (24 Sept) that Michael had died.

I first met Michael in the 1960s through activities of the Victorian Division WIA, when I was a student at RMIT. In those days, Michael went under the callsign of VK3ZEO. He was a mover and shaker even then, and struck me as an effective "do-er".

Our paths crossed on many occasions across the years. During the 1990s, when I was a member for the WIA Federal Council, as a member of the WIA delegation I saw Michael at work during the triennial meetings of the IARU Region 3 that I attended in 1991, 1994 and 1997. His obvious rapport with people of diverse backgrounds, and ability to coax a group toward a collective understanding of an issue (and then vote his way!), served the IARU (and amateur radio) very well. He had a remarkable ability to clarify the issues of the moment while keeping a strategic eye on the future.

The amateur radio fraternity today - in Australia and worldwide - enjoys the legacy of Michael's enthusiastic vision for our hobby, his careful, considered strategic planning and relentless execution against enormous odds. The gaining of the 10 MHz, 17 MHz and 24 MHz ("WARC") bands, the protection of Amateur Satellite bands, removing the mandatory Morse Code requirement from the International Radio Regulations (Article 25), restructuring of the Australian amateur licence system, introduction of the Australian Foundation Licence and creation of the National WIA are just a few achievements to write on his slate. None of these things could have been achieved by any one person's lone effort; Michael, however, was a principal player - if not the linchpin - in bringing them to fruition.

For all the seriousness of his business life and work on amateur radio administration, Michael knew how to enjoy himself, had a wickedly sophisticated sense of humour and could carry off as well as take a good-natured ribbing.

It was Michael who recruited me back into WIA membership in 2008, after a decade of non-membership. At that year's Wyong Field Day, he prevailed upon me in his gently lawyerly way while I was trapped in the back seat of WIA Vice President Phil VK2ASD's Mustang (no room to move!) during the drive to deliver Michael back to Sydney airport.

I last saw Michael at the WIA AGM weekend of activities held in Mildura at the end of May. I had no inkling that I would never see him again.

It is with considerable sadness that I say: so long mate, it's been good to know you.

My condolences go to his family, his many friends across the world, his colleagues in the WIA and throughout the radio amateur fraternity.

The Institute has big shoes to fill.

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH