Trying another antenna

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2FAK

Trying another antenna

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi Guys..

Well as you can gather I do enjoy messing with some antenna's mainly ones from the past that did not see much light of day, sometimes for unexplained reasons...

I tried the C-Pole but the received signal is a little weak for the higher bands, well the original was designed for 20m and lower which gets a lot more wire into the air.....and like most antenna they do like to be raised up and then they work a lot better....but I can/want to go only so high....so working close to the ground is a must....

So try try again.....the frame I made for the C-Pole will now be used to experiment with a basic Rectangle for 17m.....I had never seen these and they model with a direct feed to coax at the bottom and has Horizontal Pol......the pattern at low heights is not very pretty but has some gain at reasonable take-off angles..and is a little better than a high dipole...
It seems with the rectangle you can place wire for another band inside the first loop, thus turn it into a 2 band antenna from the same feed point.....

After this test, if no success, comes the one band Hentenna....

I don't need to change much or go buy things to test these, just move the wire around or add some..

Anyone played with these in the Past for HF...

John
VK2FAK

Re: Trying another antenna

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

Finally got around to trying out the vertical Rectangle loop.

Had to make a wooden mast first, that being done I can pull up the loop or lower it using a small pulley at the top...

First testing , well to my surprise the SWR was pretty much spot on.....and is very quiet but maybe that is just the band itself.......to make sure its picking up stations I looked at the NCDXF/IARA beacons and was picking up a few of those including ZS6, LU4, OAB..and of course JA2.

Will need now to test it in TX...maybe wspr or JT65.....but for a simple antenna it seems ok..

John