2/70 spots: 1st Week of January

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

2/70 spots: 1st Week of January

Post by VK4GHZ »

For those who haven't played around with the Logger's "Mapping - Show Historical Spots" functionality, it can be quite interesting to visualise what was spotted.
Using the imagery that the Mapping generates, here is a comparison of what was spotted on the 2 & Above VK Logger in the first week of January, for the last 3 years.

FYI...

2010 had a lot more "across the bight" spots - is this a function of conditions, or the fact that not as many bothered to spot these interesting contacts in 2011 & 2012?

Of course, much more would have been worked in reality, but we can only plot what was spotted.
:D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2KRR

Re: 2/70 spots: 1st Week of January

Post by VK2KRR »

It would be handy if this could be broken down into propagation modes, like SpE, Tropo, Meteors etc
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1TPH »

Hi Leigh,

Agree, I have mentioned this before with logger postings, it would be neat to be able to distinguish between what is tropo and Es, more so on 144 MHz... My idea back then was to have a drop down box for either TD or Es. If anything to collate the study of Es down under and to record the event more accurately.

Mind you in saying that, can understand it may not be possible, and a thanks to Adam for providing what we have. It’s magic really and I’m not complaining.

With looking at those maps, do remember at the start of this year, working tropo to VK all day and then Es appeared, effectively working both tropo and Es at the same time, two propagations modes or paths with each contact to VK2 at the same time ... other times into VK3 and VK5 were Es.. I know what the propagation mode was, either TD or ES, or both combined - but anyone else anaysising the Maps could well be guessing.

My 2 cents worth from ZL

Cheers, Steve ZL1TPH
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Steve

The other issue is that some people dont know the prop mode involved, esp people who aren't usually on the band that dont follow the DX but heard signals were good. But if it was possible to make a drop down box for this, it could also be an option to be left blank if ur unsure.
Usually the only band that this can be an issue with is 2m. Where as 70cm and above will usually be on tropo, rather than Es, though I have heard of some rare contacts via Es or meteors on 70. But I think the people looking for these contacts will know whats going on.

Options could be -

EME, Meteor Scatter, Aircraft, Tropo, Es, Aurora, Rain scatter.
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5BC »

Hi ALL

Great maps, certainly brings back some memories, hard to forget 3rd Jan this year with all ZL call areas worked. Checked out 2010 and my log shows good contacts into VK6 on 5th Jan via tropo from VK5 & VK7 the morning before. Certainly a great way to show what happened and as suggested if we could input a little more info could be even more informative. Anyway still great and shows the value of posting.

Picture worth a thousand words.

Well done Adam.

73's Brian
VK5BC
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK4GHZ wrote: Of course, much more would have been worked in reality, but we can only plot what was spotted.
:D
Mmmmm, retrospective logger updates would certainly help that. I see some have taken to adding a long string of contacts in the one spot. I assume those contacts will never show up if someone was to research past DX.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour