Interesting signals last week end

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4WDM

Interesting signals last week end

Post by VK4WDM »

On late afternoon and evening on Sunday I heard several weak VK3 signals that had very raspy sounds (one sounded like Darth Vader :D ), distortion, and rapid flutter. This is characteristic of auroral backscatter and would be commonplace during auroral activity in VK3 and VK7, but I have never heard it this far north.

Unfortunately I could not read any callsigns and my calls went unanswered. :(

There were some E openings to VK3 on that day and my thoughts were that this was auroral backscatter extended north by Es. Anyone like to comment?

Wayne VK4WDM
Last edited by VK4WDM on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Re: Interesting signals last week end

Post by VK2EM »

Which band/frequency, Wayne? I heard some people talking, who were unintelligible on Sunday evening/night (I think on 40). They were unintelligible, sounding distorted, until I realised that they were on the 'other' sideband to 'normal'.

Then I was able to understand them somewhat... albeit, they were very weak... and distorted... (VK3's maybe?).

Bruce VK2EM
Bruce VK2EM
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Bruce

6m. One was calling CQ on 50.110. Another was in a QSO on about 50.6. They had all the characteristics of auroral scatter which I am quite familiar with having operated from VK7 and VK3. I was very suprised to hear these sigs in Townsville. I think the most northerly station I worked on auroral backscatter from Hobart (i.e beaming south and reflecting the signal north) was Bendigo, and Wagga Wagga from Melbourne.

Auroral effects are not just confined to VHF you can get some very peculiar things happening on HF as well.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK7DX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7DX »

Hi Wayne

Quite a few vk4's that I was in contact with on 6m were reporting the strange noise on sigs from vk5 and vk3 that sounded like aural growl/buzz.
At the time there was no aurora and no au type growl here.Certainly strange,it must have been some sort of atmospheric disturbance to the north of here.

Anyway interesting,
cheers
Frank
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Auroral propagation is strange and does not depend of a having a visible aurora. I remember times in Hobart where we could not seen anything in the sky and there was good reflection. Other times when the aurora was very strong and reached to almost overhead, there was little or no effect. Sometimes the sigs appeared to come straight down with no directional effect from the antenna. I really miss those days!

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Wayne, looking at the graph traces for Auroral Activity Index on my Ionoprobe software, the index was hovering between 5 and 8 (out of 10) last Sunday so it is very possible it was auroral, probably mixed with some other propagation method as you mentioned.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

It was the Daleks.
Luke
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Yep, they were saying "exterminate, exterminate" but I thought they were "full calls" saying what should be done with "F calls." (Relax guys, its a joke :D )

So I missed an opportunity to do what SETI has been unable to to do - confirm the existence of extra-terrestials :cry:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Another was in a QSO on about 50.6
A touch out of band for the east coast :wink:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Daleks have a different band plan! :D
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

On reflectionion it was probably 50.16. :oops:
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

Bruce,

There are a couple of VK2's that have been regularly using USB on 40m. I think they do it just to prove they can and cause just a wee bit of controversy.

Adrian
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK2VHF wrote:Bruce,

There are a couple of VK2's that have been regularly using USB on 40m. I think they do it just to prove they can and cause just a wee bit of controversy.

Adrian
For some digital modes you need to use USB. Keep that in mind if you hear stations on USB, such as on 80M on Mon evenings originating out of VK2. Our nets are a mixture of digital and voice. Naturally we don't switch LSB > USB when we go from digital to voice.

Compton
VK2HRX
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

Hi Compton,

Yes I am aware of the need to use USB on some digi modes though the fellows I hear are using "rag chew" mode.

Adrian
VK5ACY

Post by VK5ACY »

VK2VHF wrote:Bruce,

Adrian
Some 'Land Mobile' (ex-RFDS etc.,commercial-type) transceivers which are easily set up for Amateur Band use are Upper Side Band only.

You may be hearing such a device.