VK Port-O-Pack

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Re: VK Port-O-Pack

Post by VK2HRX »

Re increasing the voltage from the alternator:

A silicon diode in line with the vehicles ALT-S fuse will force the alternator to increase the voltage up by the voltage drop created by the diode in the alternators voltage sensing circuit. This works when the voltage regulation is done in the alternator. If the voltage regulation in done in the vehicles computer (such as in new Toyota Hilux's) then there is no ALT-S fuse and you risk the computer if you do this mod in the alternator sense line which runs from the battery to the alternator, usually the white wire.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK3UH
Forum Novice

Post by VK3UH »

Hi, Justin.
A very nice unit. I assume the battery is charged direcly from the vehicle alternator by your comments

Have you considered using a dc-dc charger for your battery? These are made by Projecta, CTEK and others. A Google of DC-DC charger will uncover all you need to know. It might suit your system very well.

Do you know what the self use current of your inverer is? It is generally higher in high wattage units, so I am just curious.

Hope this is helpful.
Regards,
Ken
VK1MA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK1MA »

Hi Justin, concur with Ken's comments about a DC to DC charger.

I have unfortunately moved on from my trusty old 80 series cruiser to a new Prado which has necessitated a rethink on the battery situation. In the 80 series I was running two big batteries in parallel when the engine was running with a solonoid to drop the second battery out when the engine was stopped. Very cheap and worked well. I am experiencing the same issues that you have - the best option that I have found for my situation is the Redarc BCDC1220 which at somewhere around $400 plus a little is far more expensive than the 80 cruiser solution.

There are cheaper solutions available ie CTEK which would probably suit you better - the REDARC is supposed to be waterproof and fine for under my bonnet but the CTEK are not which removes them from the equation for me, but would be fine for you if mounted inside the canopy area.

Matt
VK1MA
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Hi Matt,

Where did you mount the 2nd battery in the 80 series? I'm thinking of doing that in my old beast.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK1MA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK1MA »

VK2AAH wrote:Hi Matt,

Where did you mount the 2nd battery in the 80 series? I'm thinking of doing that in my old beast.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
Hi Richard, second battery goes on the opposite side of the engine bay from the main battery (still at the front). From memory the Toyota battery bracket was quite cheap and fitted straight in to the empty spot next to the radiator. I used a solonoid to isolate the battery when the engine was off and used a feed from the conveniently located accessory power box right next to the second battery to bring the battery online when the ignition is on the glow setting or the engine is running.

Matt
VK1MA