Wouxun KG-UV920R finaly here. Maybe.

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Re: Wouxun KG-UV920R finaly here. Maybe.

Post by VK3DXE »

VK3MY wrote:
VK4WDM wrote:I would strongly urge anyone thinking about buying one of these radios to contact the ACMA directly and ask whether they are Australian compliant. Don't rely on advice or opinons expressed in this, or any other forum, or the manufacterer's or dealer's literature. Asking the ACMA is the only way that you can be sure that your money is not going to be wasted on something that is not legal in Australia.

(Suggest we don't enter into yet another debate on what is legal and what is not, just get the ACMA edict, until then "buyer beware).

Wayne VK4WDM
Wayne these radios are 100% compliant, the ones I sell cover 144-148 and 430-440, when I had the very first shipment of handhelds, the ACMA paid me a visit within the hour when my web site stated they were in stock to check all was well, of course I don't sell non compliant equipment, that isn't a good image for a start. I am about due for another visit from my friends at the ACMA, it's a monthly, ongoing regular visit for a checkup, like going to the doctor I guess, except I supply the coffee, actually in this case it's black tea.

Ross
So long as they don't slap on the rubber gloves and ask you to bend over Ross :wink: :lol: :lol:

The revised rig sounds nice. Might be time for a visit from me once the bank balance recovers from school hols.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Ross

Sorry, I should have said that the comment about getting ACMA advice before buying was not made concerning you and other reputable importers in VK. :oops: :oops:

The worry is that some people buy radios directly from suppliers outside VK where they may have been manufactured for another market or country where different standards apply. I almost got caught like that when I was tempted to buy a radio in Malaysia that seemed to be identical to the one being sold in Australia. Closer inspection of the specs showed it was a slightly different animal and covered frequencies not legal in VK.

Again, apologies for castings shadows on the excellent work that you and other dealers do to support Australian amateur radio. :D :D

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3MY

Post by VK3MY »

Opology not required Wayne, I didn't take it as if you were having a dig.

Rubber gloves, now that is funny, and I'm sure the next visit will warrant a pair of rubber gloves being produced as the ACMA walks through the door, it reminds me of the BOHICA effect, (pronounced bo-heca effect) (bend over here it comes again)

Not to be confused with the WIFM factor. (What's in it for me).

Slim

One must have a sense of humour, and not be so serious all the time, well at least it works for me.
VK3MY

Post by VK3MY »

[/quote]

So long as they don't slap on the rubber gloves and ask you to bend over Ross :wink: :lol: :lol:

The revised rig sounds nice. Might be time for a visit from me once the bank balance recovers from school hols.[/quote]

Well it's nice to see even the ACMA have a good sense of humour, had another visit this morning and low and behold, apart from the cheeky grin on his face that went from ear to ear, what was on his left hand but the infamous rubber glove. Oh dear, I didn't know if I should bend over or just P*** myself laughing, of course I took the second option, and of course he left the rubber glove for me to dwell over, should make a interesting topic for those who pop in from time to time.
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK3MY wrote:

The revised rig sounds nice. Might be time for a visit from me once the bank balance recovers from school hols.[/quote]

Well it's nice to see even the ACMA have a good sense of humour, had another visit this morning and low and behold, apart from the cheeky grin on his face that went from ear to ear, what was on his left hand but the infamous rubber glove. Oh dear, I didn't know if I should bend over or just P*** myself laughing, of course I took the second option, and of course he left the rubber glove for me to dwell over, should make a interesting topic for those who pop in from time to time.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Has any VK purchased a Wouxun KG-UV920P from a local supplier???

Would you be kind enough to spend a few minutes posting a genuine hands-on review please?
(Video, even better!)

How do you find it operationally?
What do you like about it?
What do you dislike?
Receiver cross-mod near pagers???

Something a bit more in depth than what we can already read on the suppliers websites please.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Adam, a review/s from PD0AC:

http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2012/11/21 ... kg-uv920p/
http://hamgear.wordpress.com/tag/review ... kg-uv920p/

Of particular note:

"Conclusion
The new Wouxun KG-UV920P addresses the most important problems we encountered when reviewing the previous version. We were surprised, impressed, and satisfied. What remains are minor flaws, flaws you can live with. Every radio has minor flaws, and it’s up to the readers to decide whether they’re considered important or not.

The strongest point of the Wouxun KG-UV920P is the quality of the receiver. On the frequencies that matter this receiver does what it’s supposed to do. And it better be good – we lost all those RX bands we originally drooled over.

Personally I prefer this version over a ‘I-can-do-it-all’ radio with a front end as wide as a 10-lane highway. If you want to listen to other frequencies, buy a scanner or a communications receiver. (TAKE NOTE YaeComWood!)

Bottom line: Wouxun finally competes with the big three."
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Thanks Alan, I think we've all read those.
Was looking for a VK review by a VK with a VK spec unit.

How does the front end perform?
Have their been further improvements since the PD0AC review?
Has the thumbwheel issue really been fixed?

Unless not one single unit has been sold amongst us - hard to believe.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Stay tuned..... I may be buying one in the next couple of weeks.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

I personally know of two VK5's who purchased one each but from O/S dealers.

The first bought an early version, I'd say it was the R model. It has very low deviation.

The second, who visits vklogger from time to time bought his about 3 or so months ago. He's very happy with it. He hooked it up to his test gear and has nothing but good things to say about it. I've seen it setup in his car and it looks like a nice radio, easy enough to use. We've had QSO's via VK5RAD, it sounds like any other YAECOMWOOD.
Theo
VK5IR
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Re: Wouxun KG-UV920P finally here

Post by VK3DXE »

Well, I had a bit of spare moola and thought it time to splash out on a brand new KG-UV920P from Ross at Strictly Ham the other day. Delivery was same day by courier AND cheaper than quoted on the website, so that was a nice surprise. Unfortunately, when the rig arrived it wouldn't turn on, but I quickly traced that to the short cable between the head unit and the main rig. That'll be replaced quickly under warranty, and not a major problem really as the rig will spend most of it's time with the body bolted down in the back of the car and the head unit operating remotely at the front.

Before going any further, take note of the model differences: The "R" model is the earlier version and has been the subject of some discussion about it's shortcomings in various forums. The "P" model is the latest version, and most of the issues raised by people re the "R" model have apparently been addressed.

At A$349.00 before shipping, the Oz retail price is very favourable compared to the Ebay sellers, and in fact cheaper than some. The cheapest price I've found online was around A$320.00 with a programming cable (cheapest for that is around A$16.00), but I reckon the extra 40 - 50 bucks is well worth it for a couple of reasons. First is the warranty, and second is that Oz retail-sourced units are compliant (i.e. They don't come with the threat of our mates from ACMA asking Ross for the return of his rubber glove so they can come and use it on you because you own a non-complaint transceiver :shock: ). Be aware that directly imported units are set to general coverage TX and software to lock them to the Ham bands is NOT available in the public domain.

At the current retail price, the KG-UV920P is also cheaper than some secondhand "Big 3" radios of comparable specs (which may or may not have a balance of warranty left). And, of course, there's nothing quite like opening the box and pulling out a BRAND NEW toy.

I have to admit that it's been a LONG time since I've bought a dedicated FM-only box, other than a couple of handhelds. My last dedicated mobile FM box was a secondhand Kyokuto 2m rig back in the late 80's. I stopped using that one when the top end of 2m became practically unusable due to pager overload. For the past couple of years, I've run a Wouxun handheld in the car, but found myself becoming more and more frustrated with the lack of power. As I seem to spend so much time on the road - to and from work, picking up kids, to and from XYL's place, etc., etc., I thought it time to put a decent box in the car. I chose the Wouxun as I am familiar with the brand and it's menu structure, they have a reputation for reliability and solid performance, and best of all, the price is excellent. To quote an old cliche, you get a lot of radio for your dollar.....

Received audio is quite nice, and reports on the TX audio so far seem to be positive. This rig has THREE speakers; one for each receiver in the main body of the rig, and one in the microphone. The speaker-mic speaker has it's own independent volume control thumbwheel on the mic, sounds quite nice and is quite handy in noisy environments. I believe you have a few configuration options for the speakers, but I haven't delved into that yet.

I have ordered the software and programming cable off EBay and they should arrive in the next week or so, so at this stage I've manually programmed a few of the repeaters and a couple of simplex frequencies I'm likely to use. I was operating on only a couple of hours sleep when I first opened the box and set the rig up in the car, but found it pretty straightforward. I did manage to somehow program it for CTCSS RX at first, which meant I couldn't hear anything, and had a little difficulty undoing it in my sleep deprived state, but a quick reset via the menu meant I was up and running again very quickly, albeit with the radio talking at me in Chinese :lol: :lol: That was very quickly rectified by going to the appropriate menu setting.

On my regular travel routes, there are a number of places where there was very obvious overload and intermod on the handheld (running an external dualband antenna on the rear hatch of the car). At a couple of those places, such as just outside Royal Melbourne Hospital, it was a struggle to hear S9+ repeater signals on 70cm, and the 2m was pretty much a write-off around the inner city where I spend most of my time.

I am very pleased to say that although I've only had the KG-UV920P for a few days, it has performed extremely well, with NO discernible overload problems on the Ham bands at any of those sites. I'll continue testing in my travels over the next coupe of weeks and report further, but initial results have exceeded my expectations. When I'm driving around town and there's nothing on 2m or 70cm, I often listen to VHF country VICPol comms (D24) around the top end of 163Mhz. I have found that the Wouxun appears to be not as immune to overload in that portion of the spectrum as it is in the Ham bands, although it's a bucket load better than a couple of scanners I've tried, but again, more time will be needed to really gauge this.

So, initial impressions are very favourable and I'd recommend a look at this rig if you're in the market for a reasonable quality dual band mobile rig.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Alan, thank you for the initial report.
Much appreciated. :D
VK3DXE wrote:... That'll be replaced quickly under warranty...
Yes, this reaffirms that the few remaining bricks and mortar stores should be supported, and that trying save a relatively small amount from on on-line stores can be a false saving, if/when issues arise.
VK3DXE wrote:At the current retail price, the KG-UV920P is also cheaper than some secondhand "Big 3" radios of comparable specs...
It's funny how a lot of the whinging about a "high" price (mostly out of Nth America) has lost perspective on what great value this stuff has really become.
My FT-8100 FM dual-bander was $899 in the late 90's, which would translate to a lot more in 2013 money.
Anyone who whinges about the $350 price point should be completely ignored.
VK3DXE wrote:...This rig has THREE speakers; one for each receiver in the main body of the rig, and one in the microphone...
Didn't know that, from what I have previously read.
VK3DXE wrote:...I am very pleased to say that although I've only had the KG-UV920P for a few days, it has performed extremely well, with NO discernible overload problems on the Ham bands at any of those sites....
Good with cross-mod? Excellent news.
VK3DXE wrote:... I have found that the Wouxun appears to be not as immune to overload in that portion of the spectrum as it is in the Ham bands...
Which suggests a tracking front-end, rather than a wide open barn-door front-end. Excellent.
VK3DXE wrote:So, initial impressions are very favourable and I'd recommend a look at this rig if you're in the market for a reasonable quality dual band mobile rig.
Definitely.
I'm looking for an excuse, any excuse, to get one for the shack!
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK4GHZ wrote:Alan, thank you for the initial report.
Much appreciated. :D
VK3DXE wrote:... That'll be replaced quickly under warranty...
Yes, this reaffirms that the few remaining bricks and mortar stores should be supported, and that trying save a relatively small amount from on on-line stores can be a false saving, if/when issues arise.
VK3DXE wrote:At the current retail price, the KG-UV920P is also cheaper than some secondhand "Big 3" radios of comparable specs...
It's funny how a lot of the whinging about a "high" price (mostly out of Nth America) has lost perspective on what great value this stuff has really become.
My FT-8100 FM dual-bander was $899 in the late 90's, which would translate to a lot more in 2013 money.
Anyone who whinges about the $350 price point should be completely ignored.
VK3DXE wrote:...This rig has THREE speakers; one for each receiver in the main body of the rig, and one in the microphone...
Didn't know that, from what I have previously read.
VK3DXE wrote:...I am very pleased to say that although I've only had the KG-UV920P for a few days, it has performed extremely well, with NO discernible overload problems on the Ham bands at any of those sites....
Good with cross-mod? Excellent news.
VK3DXE wrote:... I have found that the Wouxun appears to be not as immune to overload in that portion of the spectrum as it is in the Ham bands...
Which suggests a tracking front-end, rather than a wide open barn-door front-end. Excellent.
VK3DXE wrote:So, initial impressions are very favourable and I'd recommend a look at this rig if you're in the market for a reasonable quality dual band mobile rig.
Definitely.
I'm looking for an excuse, any excuse, to get one for the shack!
No problem Adam, as I've said, for the price, it's an excellent rig.

I think the issue about the price was that there was so much initial talk about it coming in at a sub US$300 point, that the whingers had worked themselves into a frenzy by the time the original model came out, partly fueled by that delay, then when the first ones appeared at just under US$400, the whinge-fest exploded.

The speaker setup is quite nice; separate speaker jacks on the rear panel and separate volume controls for them on a concentric volume knob too. The mic also has it's own thumbwheel volume control.

Crossmod - From what I've read, I believe part of the design decision to remove the HF RX capability from this rig was related to avoiding a wide open intermod box. I've been through the CBD a few times now and have heard NOTHING on 70cm!!! I've also left the 2nd receiver running on 2m and heard nothing there. The ONLY breakthrough I've experienced on 2m (note NO pagers!) is some music station breaking through briefly a couple of times this morning in the area around Parliament House at the eastern end of the CBD. Not sure if there's a commercial broadcaster or a Narrowcast site there? Other than that, I intentionally took a route through the CBD on the way to work this morning while in simplex contact with Ralph, VK3LL, who was mobile on Hoddle St and Punt Rd (up to 7km away by the time I got to work). We maintained Q5 copy at all times, even during the brief couple of seconds when the music was audible.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

It looks like the Wouxun Quad-bander version is "coming".

http://www.strictlyham.com.au/wouxun-kg-uv950p

I am guessing it is another FT-8900R rip off, like the other Chinese 8900 knock offs (TYT TH-9800).

Considering you can only fit so much into the same sized case, I wonder if the receive performance of this quad-bander will be compromised, compared to the excellent reports the 920P gets?
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

Some discussion here about an achilles heel of the KG-UV-920P, and Wouxun support experience...

http://www.vk1od.net/equipment/KG-UV920P/index.htm

Owen
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Wow Owen, now that is junk... looks like Wouxun have a long way to go when it comes to quality.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK2AAH wrote:Wow Owen, now that is junk... looks like Wouxun have a long way to go when it comes to quality.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
Yes Richard, it's a good warning to those contemplating a cheap radio. It may be 2/3 the cost of a name brand radio but if the feature list is the same or better than a big brand there must be compromises elsewhere in the radio.

Nothing wrong with buying a cheap radio but you must be prepared for some differences.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK3ALB wrote:
VK2AAH wrote:Wow Owen, now that is junk... looks like Wouxun have a long way to go when it comes to quality.
Yes Richard, it's a good warning to those contemplating a cheap radio. It may be 2/3 the cost of a name brand radio but if the feature list is the same or better that a big brand there must be compromises elsewhere in the radio.

Nothing wrong with buying a cheap radio but you must be prepared for some differences.
Sort of, in this case it was me that carried the work of fixing my friend's radio.

I don't know current prices, but a little over $300 for a dual band with 2 rx, with cross band repeat, is probably less than 2/3 the competitors... maybe they have gotten a lot cheaper. I know 10+ years ago, they were over 1k, I thought more like $600+ now.

Keep in mind, this is one radio. The evidence that the soldering process was not hot enough doesn't mean ALL radios are like that, just they you can't be confident that your radio ISN'T like that.

The Chinese view of quality is different to ours!

And it is not that the Chinese are incapable of manufacturing quality stuff, some goods made in China are of good quality.

Wouxun are not alone here. I foolishly bought two Yaesu FT-90s on a recommendation, one needed two processor boards and one RF board during warranty, the other needed one processor boards and one RF board. They ran hot as, and consequently moved 5kHz at 440MHz when hot. So, the big guys are capable of lemons too!

I have a Alinco radio like this (and it cost around $1200) and it can't do cross band any more as the microphone failed when it was a couple of years old, but Alinco stopped supply of the microphone and it is the ONLY way to command the radio in cross band mode. Lesson learned, Alinco is unsupported, cheap, but unsupported junk.

Anyway, if you have one of these Wouxun (sounds like ocheng) radios, allow plenty of air to the underside. If you were clever, you migth want to do the factory recommended mod. I did not measure the effect of the mod in a before and after sense, I did the mod while waiting for the FET to come on a slow boat from China and just wanted the radio off the bench. After fitting the mod, the driver did not go above low 50s C... so that is pretty safe... but note again, that is with unobstructed air flow.

Owen

PS: note to the quote police, both quotes are relevant to my reply.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK1OD wrote:Some discussion here about an achilles heel of the KG-UV-920P, and Wouxun support experience...
Reports like this can be irresponsible if there is a suggestion that the model is flawed based on a sample size of 1, AND that all units will ultimately suffer the same fate.

Please note the emphasised AND, before anyone bites back!
KG-UV920P - a repair / support story on VK1OD.net wrote:so Wouxun's charges to send the FET from the factory are simply a scam!
Why did a $0.50 diode cost $15 from Icom Australia + postage?

This reminds of the ignorant who query why it costs ~ $4 per litre for a car rental company to fill up the tank.
It takes a paid employee to go to the servo, and fill it up, and return.
It could take 30 minutes to put a measly, but noticeable, amount of fuel in.
Do that several times a day, and there could be a need for an additional employee.
Apply that concept elsewhere in delivering a service.

In December 1997 I purchased a YAESU FT-8100R dual band mobile (I don't dare call it a "rig" :wink: ).
P8100_3.jpg
It was $899, and the separation kit (purchased 1 week later) added $99.50.

Let's call it $1,000 neat.

Using an inflation calculator, this equates to $1420 in 2012 money.
How about we call that $1400 even.

Can anyone imagine spending $1400 on a 2/70 FM mobile box today?
I doubt it.

Excluding the flagship end of the range, I believe most products from the "big three" are considerably cheaper in real terms compared to a decade ago.
I wonder where they're assembled?
(Rhetorical question)

So here I am, with a new toy.
It's from the "big three", cost a small bomb, so it must good.
Within 16 months it failed.
P8100_2.jpg
Aside from moving cities and the shack (test equipment etc) being in storage at the time, it was still within warranty.
So, back to DSE it went.
FT-8100 achilles heel?
FT-8100 achilles heel?
What failed?
It was a PCB via.

This via carried a supply rail from one side of the board to another and, obviously, was inadequate and destined to burn out.
A design flaw like this could have been avoided, by using a real piece of TCW as the via (expensive: requires human labour), or a larger hole so the via plating had a greater surface area.

This YAESU radio was manufactured in Japan, not China.

As a sample size of 1 is still flawed, it would be equally irresponsible of me to suggest that Japanese made YAESU mobiles of that era were equally problematic.
If we start hearing reports that dozens of these Wouxuns are failing, then the suggestion of a "a flawed design" certainly becomes valid.

You can buy a cheap item and risk a failure, or you can buy a expensive item and risk failure.

A wise old man once said;
wise old man wrote:The best is expensive, but the most expensive is not always the best.
Owen's article absolutely reinforces why we should all support the few remaining bricks and mortar stores.

Had that radio been purchased from a legitimate domestic retailer, and was within warranty (in Owen's example it was), then the burden of repair falls back to the retailer.
I wonder if Owens' friend still considers his initial saving worthwhile. I wouldn't.
If Owen's time was billable, any perceived savings would have evaporated.
(BTW, a quick search reveals the FET can be purchased for less than $7 delivered.)

If this, or any other model is indeed flawed, then you can bet the retailers will, sooner or later, cease to carry it due to being commercially unviable.
The other lesson is: avoid being an early adopter.
The short lived "R" predecessor model is a testament to this.

Any suggestion that these newer Chinese branded products are more prone to failure is, frankly, unreasonable.
I've also had Japanese manufactured Icom and Kenwood transceivers fail.

Posted in the interests of restoring some balance in a flawed world.