Wouxun KG-UV920R finaly here. Maybe.

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Wouxun KG-UV920R finaly here. Maybe.

Post by VK2AXL »

After years of waiting, the Wouxun KG-UV920R dual band mobile is finally reaching the dealers.
BUT.... below is what the American supplier had to tell his customers.

This set is available for $399 in Australia. A far cry from the $275 we were told.

Here is the latest news on Chinese dual-band mobile radios.

Wouxun Dual Band Mobile - KG-UV920R

On June 21 I was informed that Wouxun would supply a small number of these radios to selected dealers (max of 10). At that time they also quoted a dealer costs that I thought was outrageous. The dealer costs was almost what I have always considered the retail price would be. In an email I told them sternly that with any dealer markup at all, the radio would not sell in the US and I would decline to purchase samples.

Wouxun response was that when full production began, the dealer costs would be lower. Since I've invested hundreds of thousands of dollars building a market for this company over the past few years, I decided I would not let others bring this radio to market before I did. I reluctantly placed an order for 10 radios, figuring I would sell them at costs, to get them to market.

After my order was shipped, Wouxun informed me that these sample radios must NOT be sold for less than $320-$330. They went on to say "If we found you or your dealer's end price was lower this range without our permission in advance, then we will stop supplying this model to you."

For the past two years, I've repeatedly told Wouxun that this radio must sell for no more than $250-$275 for it to be competitive with the big three Japanese companies. It appears this advice has fallen on deaf ears.

These pre-production radios lack some of the features the full-production radios will have. These will not be FCC Certified for Part 90 use. They will have narrow band capability but will not have the 2.5 kHz tuning step required for Part 90 radios beginning in 2013. The frequency range will be RX:136-174 & 350-480 and TX: 136-174 & 400-480. They did not indicate if any wide-band receive, such as 118 MHz AM, would be available on these pre-production models.

Although these radios may lack some of the bells and whistles we've expected, I imagine they will still be good dual band radios for the ham market. BUT, I still don't feel they are worth $325.

Wouxun says I can't sell these for less than $325. They did not say that I can not include a FREE HT with the purchase. (Rest assured, they will raise holy crap about it, but I'm used to that) So here's my plan. I will place the limited number I have on sale for $350 and include a free KG-UV2D HT in the deal. I'll profit nothing at this but we'll see what happens.
Jack VK2AXL
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Wouxun KG-UV920R finally here.

Post by VK4GHZ »

At last!
Some credible KG-UV920R reviews are starting to come out.
This review, from PD0AC in September 2012, just caught my eye.

http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2012/09/16 ... kg-uv920r/

All up, pretty good, except for the rotary encoders.
Hopefully that is confined to a crook batch only.

Perhaps the 2M TX harmonic suppression issue that Han raises may not be huge real-world problem?
No doubt Han conducted his test into a broadband dummy load, but a real-world (resonant) antenna will tend to be ineffective on the 2nd and 3rd harmonics.

And all the comments about price you see.
(Not having a go at you Jack, most of this is from North Americans and Europeans on e-Whinge, etc.)
Have they forgotten, we were paying a lot more back in the 1990's?

Example: I paid $899 for my FT-8100R in 1997.
Inflation adjusted prices equate that to over $1,336, in 2011 money, a 48.5% rise.
(The Reserve Bank of Australia's Inflation Calculator currently stops at 2011)

Granted, made in Japan then, and China now, but still $1,000 cheaper on a similar product. :roll:

If anyone has an 'Australian' version of the Wouxun KG-UV920R, let's hear your comments about it, please.
Have the encoder issues, etc, been sorted now?
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Re: Wouxun KG-UV920R finaly here. Maybe.

Post by VK6ZFG »

The Wouxun KG-UV920R, based on the published test results, would not be suitable for Amateur use in Australia unless used with an external harmonic filter. It fails to meet the Amateur LCD on spurious emissions by 13dB.

Part 2, Section 7A of the Amateur LCDs covers spurious emissions and are as follows:

7A Spurious emission limits for an amateur station

(1) The licensee must not operate an amateur station if the emissions of the station include spurious emissions that are not attenuated below the power of the wanted emission supplied to the antenna transmission line by:

(a) for frequencies less than 30 MHz — the lesser of:
(i) 43 + 10 log (PEP) dB; and
(ii) 50 dB; or
(b) for frequencies above 30 MHz — the lesser of
(i) 43 + 10 log (P) dB; and
(ii) 70 dB.

(2) In subsection (1):
P means mean power in watts supplied to the antenna transmission line.
PEP means peak envelope power in watts supplied to the antenna transmission line.

The spurious emissions are required to be met apply by what comes out of the antenna socket of the radio.

On VHF/UHF this translates to:

Spurious TX Pwr TX Pwr Spurious
(dB) (W) (dBm) (dBm)

-70.0 500 57 -13.0
-63.0 100 50 -13.0
-60.0 50 47 -13.0
-57.0 25 44 -13.0
-53.0 10 40 -13.0
-43.0 1 30 -13.0
-33.0 0.1 20 -13.0
-30.0 0.05 17 -13.0

Upper limit is -70 dB (500W and above)

Commercial Amateur radios appear to be aimed at meeting FCC spurious emission requirements. These radio specifications are 50 dB on HF and 60 dB on VHF/UHF. This is fine for Australia for the HF bands but not where the power level is higher than 50 watts (and this includes 6 metres!).

The tests conducted on the Wouxun radio indicates that it fails to meet FCC and ACMA requirements.

All very interesting.

Igor
VK6ZFG
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6ZFG »

Th spurious output of 6M Commercial Amatuer radios are usually specified as the same as for the HF bands. This being 50 dB. This equates to an output power level of only 5 watts! mmm!
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK6ZFG wrote:The tests conducted on the Wouxun radio indicates that it fails to meet FCC and ACMA requirements.
And home brew gear?
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6ZFG »

Same would apply.

They are the ACMA Amateur LCDs not mine.
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6SIX »

Phew! my 11 year old Ft 817 passes the 5 watt test then....
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Re: Wouxun KG-UV920R finally here.

Post by VK2AXL »

VK4GHZ wrote:Example: I paid $899 for my FT-8100R in 1997.

Granted, made in Japan then, and China now, but still $1,000 cheaper on a similar product.
Around then I payed UKP500 for a second hand FT5200. About AU$1200 at the time.
I sold an immaculate Yaesu dual bander last week for $300.

When I think what junk we financially challenged used to operate, it makes me think we are all a little spoiled now :)
Jack VK2AXL
VK4TIM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TIM »

VK4GHZ wrote:
VK6ZFG wrote:The tests conducted on the Wouxun radio indicates that it fails to meet FCC and ACMA requirements.
And home brew gear?
So can the radio be locked to TX only from 144-148 and 430-450?Same deal as the cheap Chinese handhelds I think...
Tim, VK4TIM.
QG62MM, Brisbane.
VK5AKK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5AKK »

Just downloaded the user manual for the KG-UV920R for a read. It states the radio has been tested and found to comply with part 90 of the FCC rules.
Does anyone know the difference between the 920R and the 920P? Destined for different countries perhaps?
Cheers
Phil
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I would strongly urge anyone thinking about buying one of these radios to contact the ACMA directly and ask whether they are Australian compliant. Don't rely on advice or opinons expressed in this, or any other forum, or the manufacterer's or dealer's literature. Asking the ACMA is the only way that you can be sure that your money is not going to be wasted on something that is not legal in Australia.

(Suggest we don't enter into yet another debate on what is legal and what is not, just get the ACMA edict, until then "buyer beware).

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AXL »

Definitly not wanting to start the "whats legal and whats not" debate/argument/bun fight.

But I've spoken to two people who asked the ACMA direct and they both got different and entirely opposite answers.

I dont think the ACMA know the answer to this. And if some of them do, they havent told the others.

Buyers be very very aware.
Jack VK2AXL
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

"But I've spoken to two people who asked the ACMA direct and they both got different and entirely opposite answers. I dont think the ACMA know the answer to this. And if some of them do, they havent told the others"

Hi Jack

I raised the question about "different RI's different answers" In another thread and the very next day I received an email from a senior ACMA officer who had read the comment. He assured me that all the RI's "sing from the same song sheet" and that opinions on the legality of equipment do not vary from person to person.

Hopefully he will read your comment and respond to you directly.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2XAX »

Hi Guys,

You dont want the "R" version you want the "P" version...

see here...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wouxun-KG-UV ... 1210907856

This unit tests out way better than its predecessor....

http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2012/11/21 ... kg-uv920p/

Harmonic suppression @ 145 MHz:
Old version second harmonic: 47 dB down
New version second harmonic: 64 dB down

Harmonic suppression @ 435 MHz:
Old version second harmonic: 54 dB down
New version second harmonic: 65 dB down or better (at 35 Watts we ended up at almost 70 dB down)

and part 2 of the review here....

http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2012/11/22 ... p-part-ii/

regards

Tim
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AXL »

VK4WDM wrote: all the RI's "sing from the same song sheet"
To misquote Mandy Rice-Davies

"Well he would say that, wouldn't he?"
Jack VK2AXL
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Tim, thanks muchly for finding that updated review from PD0AC. :D
I didn't notice the original review was the old "R" version. :oops:
Bottom line: Wouxun finally competes with the big three. Expected price point in NL: €299.
It will be interesting to see which Chinese manufacturer becomes the dominant player, but I think the AnyTone AT-588UV may loose the race.
AnyTone AT-588UV review by PD0AC.

I like PD0AC's reviews!
Up front, and tell it like it is.
Unlike the wishy-washy non committal reviews often found in magazines, that are too scared to risk advertising dollars on a true report.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4WDM wrote:"But I've spoken to two people who asked the ACMA direct and they both got different and entirely opposite answers. I dont think the ACMA know the answer to this. And if some of them do, they havent told the others"

Hi Jack

I raised the question about "different RI's different answers" In another thread and the very next day I received an email from a senior ACMA officer who had read the comment. He assured me that all the RI's "sing from the same song sheet" and that opinions on the legality of equipment do not vary from person to person.

Hopefully he will read your comment and respond to you directly.

Wayne VK4WDM
I don't doubt you got dissimilar answers , personally I rarely emails from those guys :)
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Jack's comment does suggest that there is still a feeling, rightly or wrongly, within the ham community, that the "singing from the same song sheet" is not adhered to as tightly as the email from the ACMA to me says it is.

As I said, the ACMA staff, especially those who are hams, are avid readers of the logger forums. They cannot respond here of course, but my guess is that Jack will get a phone call or email in response to his comment.

I must say that in my recent dealings with the ACMA they have been extremely helpful and friendly and they do welcome a direct approach with questions.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AXL »

I think you are right Wayne :)

Just as I have said about the WIA a couple of times recently, I have nothing whatsoever against the ACMA. I am sure they are overworked, underfunded and serving the communications community to the best of their collective abilities. I have also found ACMA folks to be very helpful whenever I had reason to contact them.

Apart from one. But I'll not blame him on the organisation as a whole and put that down to one particularl personality. I think hes retired now anyway :)

But the whole "now its legal, now its not" magic act caught everybody by surprise. When you have a major turn round in attitude like that, going against what has been accepted practise for many years, its going to take a while for everyone to get all their ducks on the same page.
Jack VK2AXL
VK3MY

Post by VK3MY »

VK4WDM wrote:I would strongly urge anyone thinking about buying one of these radios to contact the ACMA directly and ask whether they are Australian compliant. Don't rely on advice or opinons expressed in this, or any other forum, or the manufacterer's or dealer's literature. Asking the ACMA is the only way that you can be sure that your money is not going to be wasted on something that is not legal in Australia.

(Suggest we don't enter into yet another debate on what is legal and what is not, just get the ACMA edict, until then "buyer beware).

Wayne VK4WDM
Wayne these radios are 100% compliant, the ones I sell cover 144-148 and 430-440, when I had the very first shipment of handhelds, the ACMA paid me a visit within the hour when my web site stated they were in stock to check all was well, of course I don't sell non compliant equipment, that isn't a good image for a start. I am about due for another visit from my friends at the ACMA, it's a monthly, ongoing regular visit for a checkup, like going to the doctor I guess, except I supply the coffee, actually in this case it's black tea.

Ross