Stacking UHF TV yagis

FM Radio Stations and TV Carriers used as Early Warning Indicators
VK2KRR

Stacking UHF TV yagis

Post by VK2KRR »

How would one determine the best stacking distance for a multi frequency UHF TV yagi ? In particular the Hills 91SFX ? Covers Channels 21 - 69 (480 to 816 MHz).

I've heard of different methods, like stack the length of the boom distance between antennas? Or 96% of the wavelength of the lowest freq?

May have to try experimenting with different distances myself perhaps and see how it goes.
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Re: Stacking UHF TV yagis

Post by VK3RX »

Some years back Hills had a document titled something like "Stacking the odds in your favour" which I had a copy of but can't for the life of me locate it.

This might help: http://www.tesc.com.au/stagger.htm
Damien VK3RX
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Thanks Damien, I have seen that page, and it also has stacking for gain, although fairly old info I think, but still gives ideas.
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

I'm wondering if you're thinking in terms of them as a phased array acting as one antenna or as a spatial diversity system.
For spatial diversity systems it's a minimum of two wavelengths of the lowest frequency.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Here is an interesting page I found with some antenna stacking test links - http://www.atechfabrication.com/reception_solutions.htm

VK2XSO I am just trying to get more forward gain and narrower main beamwidth for long distance reception and attenuating out signals Im not pointing at that may be on same freq.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Leigh,
one word of warning, a lot of the driving force for stacking antennas for TV was to eliminate ghosting on analog reception on a single channel. To get GAIN the TV installers will just chuck in a masthead amp, which do a good job but have other problems for hams. If it was me, I would use a single yagi as you will not be able to predict the radiation pattern of a stacked pair over that wide a frequency range and you may end up with exactly what you did NOT want in the first place (a messy pattern) and it cost you twice the money for a radiation pattern like a porkupine.

my 2c's

Peter, vk5pj