Balloon launch on now

Discussion about orbiting satellite, and balloon launches
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Balloon launch on now

Post by VK6ADF »

Its not been widely publicised but at the moment ( 0330UTC, Sunday 24th June) a balloon is up at 22000 metres in the SW of WA. Check out http://aprs.fi/?call=VK6KMJ-11

http://www.multipro.com.au/operation-strato-bear/

I only became aware of it last week and forgot all about it till I just read about it on another forum I read.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2GOM

Re: Balloon launch on now

Post by VK2GOM »

As of now, 272m. Looks like it didn't get too far.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

31,007m looks like the greatest altitude it got to 8)
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

I have to say that there is a lot of VK6 happenings that dont get past the WA border in terms of letting the rest of the country know of events over there. Im not sure why that is?
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK2KRR wrote:I have to say that there is a lot of VK6 happenings that dont get past the WA border in terms of letting the rest of the country know of events over there. Im not sure why that is?
While that seems true in this case, only those involved seemed to know in WA as well. It was only known about here during the week when the main APRS device was spotted driving around in circles and sporting the message Strato Bear. Then I guess someone did a search for it and a message was posted on the VK6 APRS email group. Until then it was a well kept secret to us over here too.

At least I'm trying to let the rest of the country know, even if late. :lol: :wink:
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Strato Bear sounds like Tupolevs and the Cold War!

Keep us updated of the next one Phil. You are our ears on the ground in VK6 8)

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

I wish I had known more as I would not have minded going to watch. Maybe next time. There has been mumblings from another group who are interested so a balloon launch may eventuate there hopefully.

Even though the launch was known about a few days prior, I don't think the location was known except to those involved. Maybe the next one will be more publicised if there is a next one.

73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Looks like it had a boom on it and possibly ran video?

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

Some more on Strato Bear have appeared.

Here's the boom you mentioned Rob.

and the story and photo's here http://www.multipro.com.au/stratobear-m ... -to-space/
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Quite a heavy payload! Most run a tiny Lego man or a Kinder toy etc. That bear must come in at 100g+

Keep your ear to the ground Phil for any future launches. They are fun to track online even if they can't be heard from my location.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH