QSL Cards - myqslcard.com

VK2GJC
Forum Novice

QSL Cards - myqslcard.com

Post by VK2GJC »

Testing out a program I have been working on for MY QSL Cards let me know your thoughts.
Everything in this universe has a unique frequency, all you have to do is tune in . . .
DE VK2GJC, Greg Cogar - Ulladulla NSW South Coast - Grid: QF54fp
VK2XQ

Re: QSL Cards - myqslcard.com

Post by VK2XQ »

As I am not in your log book old boy I cannot get past the intro at stage one... :roll:

So cannot post a comment about what you have running there...Jack VK2XQ Sydeny NSW (resident Forum "GOM"...Grumpy Old Man)
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Ditto

Nev
VK2GJC
Forum Novice

Post by VK2GJC »

Thanks Guys, Will have to try for a sked Jack & Nev, appreciate your comments and look forward to a QSO in the future.
Everything in this universe has a unique frequency, all you have to do is tune in . . .
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Worked for me... Jack you need to get on air and work Greg :oops:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4TIM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TIM »

OK,

So where would I go to get a batch of real cards made and printed, and for what cost? As yet, I don't have a card.....
Tim, VK4TIM.
QG62MM, Brisbane.
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Tim

If you want a qty (say >1,000) go off shore (I hate to say that!!!) :(

Do a search and you'll find a heap of printers in EU that do quality photo cards for the price I paid for mono colour on card in VK.
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I printed a batch of a couple of hundred of my cards on 6x4 at the photobooths in Hardly Normal. Worked out about 4c each?

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

I did the artwork and had them printed at Snap or KwikPrint or one of those mobs. I can't remember the price but it wasn't onerous. Plus unlike going the photoprint route it is double sided.
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

Is there an international guideline/standard for what size your card is?

I heard the VK bureau can be picky with this topic.
Theo
VK5IR
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

The IARU recommends a size of 3.5" x 5.5" for a QSL card.

For the metric enthusiasts, you'll have to get your calculator out!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3PF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PF »

From the Amateur Radio Victoria web site:

"QSL cards should not exceed 140mm by 90mm or be less than 125mm by 80mm. They must not be printed on lightweight paper. (such as 80gsm copy paper). QSL's.

Preferred weight is in the range 120 -180gsm. The callsign of the station to receive the card is written on the top right hand corner.

The card size and placement of the recipient callsign were made standard worldwide some years ago to make it easier to sort and handle large quantities of cards.

The QSL Bureaux only exchange cards between themselves, and there are a very few countries which don't have a bureau. In these cases, radio amateurs wanting a card from a non-bureau country must QSL direct by using the normal postage system."

Regards,

Peter VK3PF
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Interesting on hearing about suggested specifications for paper weight...

I have some QSL cards from 20+yrs ago from the old Soviet Union, and some of those 'cards' were very paper thin, and the printing very dubious quality. Cost was an overbearing factor for some back then I think.

How times have changed!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2GJC
Forum Novice

Post by VK2GJC »

The point of my post was to show how myqslcard.com can exchange a QSL card without printing a posting.

It seem to have gone in a different direction :?

I look forward to more people trying it out an offering me some more feedback.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello Greg (is that right?)
VK2GJC wrote:The point of my post was to show how myqslcard.com can exchange a QSL card without printing a posting.
It seem to have gone in a different direction :?
I look forward to more people trying it out an offering me some more feedback.
I was curious as to what sort of scripting language was behind the generation of the graphics on top of the stock image? I remember playing with a Perl based image editor many moons ago to produce watermarks on images.

Does your website allow the addition of other logs, possibly by other hams to run side by side with yours, otherwise it seems like a big cost (domain and hosting) for a quite unique service.

looks great by the way.

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj
VK2GJC
Forum Novice

Post by VK2GJC »

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your comments.

The data and image are placed as required using PHP and converted to PDF. I don't want to give too much away here but if you are interested in finding out more about the code just email me :D

The idea behind my program was to combine my OnAirLogbook with MyQSLcard - both programs are being developed with the aim to make it available to all.(at a small cost)

I have been getting requests from people just wanting the MyQSLcard to work with their existing logbook software, so I guess I may have to work on a API for other programs to send and receive XML, not sure if I am going to go down this road yet. That is why I am getting it out there hoping for more comments and suggestions.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Sounds like you have been having some fun :-)
VK2GJC wrote:Hello Peter,
Thanks for your comments.
The data and image are placed as required using PHP and converted to PDF. I don't want to give too much away here but if you are interested in finding out more about the code just email me :D
The idea behind my program was to combine my OnAirLogbook with MyQSLcard - both programs are being developed with the aim to make it available to all.(at a small cost)
I have been getting requests from people just wanting the MyQSLcard to work with their existing logbook software, so I guess I may have to work on a API for other programs to send and receive XML, not sure if I am going to go down this road yet. That is why I am getting it out there hoping for more comments and suggestions.
I am not sure if you have run across them but there a few standard formats out there for electronic log book exports / imports. You might want to investigate a form of uploading the export from the persons logbook and then have some scripting import that file to the backend database once it has passed a sanity check.

Just started on putting my logbooks from the 80's and 90's 00's into electronic form... now that give me cramps just thinking about it ;-)

I will keep an eye out for any updates to the thread.

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj
VK3UH
Forum Novice

Post by VK3UH »

Greg,
if you intend to make this "available to all at a small cost", then you need to address things like "best 73's and Good DXing." on the cards!
Even if you don't intend to sell it you still need to fix that up! :lol:
Regards,
Ken
VK2GJC
Forum Novice

Post by VK2GJC »

Thanks Ken,
You will be able to edit this area and include any information, what do you think should go here?
VK3UH
Forum Novice

Post by VK3UH »

Hi, Greg.
'73' means "best wishes", so you don't need to say 'best best wisheses' :wink: . Much the same with DX - it means long distance working (rx or tx), so you don't need to wish long distance workinging on people. I would suggest you make it simply "73 and Good DX", and then pedants like me will be happy. :lol:
The concept and the work you have done on it are very interesting. It certainly brings QSL exchanges into the 21st century. Whether it is for me I don't know for sure at this stage. I await further developments with interest.
Regards,
Ken