East West Contact Data Collection

Non band-specific propagation & Solar Cycle discussion
VK3ALZ
Forum Novice

East West Contact Data Collection

Post by VK3ALZ »

Hello everyone

As you would know Ralph (VK3WRE) and myself travelled to the south east of WA.
Unfortunately the propagation gods did not smile upon us, in fact we are sure at whatever location we arrived at, the DX disappeared!.

Having some time while driving back to the east, we discussed the issue of favourable times for propagation across the bight.
To cut a long story short, we would like to collect data from contacts across this path to see what is possibly the most favourable time and whether this time of year has changed over time (years, decades).

So what we would like is:
Date (day/month/year)
Time (not 100% important but good if you have it and indicate uct/gmt or
local)
Frequency (band is fine)
Callsigns (so we know which end of the path you where)

We are hoping to collect as much data as possible and then will release our finding/s (if any off course!!!)

Even a photo copy of a log page would be fine (my mailing address is below).

Regards
Michael Binz
VK3ALZ/VK3LM
PO Box 418
Morwell, 3840
Victoria

ps: I have also sent this note on the vhf reflector.
VK2KRR

Re: East West Contact Data Collection

Post by VK2KRR »

If you click on the HISTORY tab at the bottom of the logger screen and look at whats been logged on the logger.
Not sure if its possible to search for VK6 and then longest distances on 2m band. You should find some data.
Adam may be able to help refine the search, may be different methods to try.

From myself to VK6, generally very early morning is the peak times. This is because of the lack of humidity, the heat builds up and burns off the humidity as the day goes on, to as low as around 20% or less. Needs to be 60 to 70%+ humidity to have a good signal from here. So from about 2am till about 9am EDST is best from here as the humidity build up again during the night.
Periodic exceptions to this rule can occur, and when I made the 2m digital record contact with Derek VK6DZ it occurred after work, it was 8PM and there had been heavy rain across the inland during the day, this provided the evening humidity extention across the inland to access the path across the Bight.

I'd suggest thats paths from Adelaide/Mt Gambier to Albany and beyond are similar, except those areas have the humidity to potentially run paths all day long under the right conditions, but again peaks are found at or after sundown in the evenings and also in the morning hours around sunrise or partially before and after for a number of hours.

If your talking about time of year, as in what months? Bight paths are still pretty much only a summer time phenomina. But I would suggest that if there was more activity and more stations using WSPR or JT65 that you would find futher openings through out the year, but at weaker levels and less frequently. For example I have received the Esperance beacon here a number of times in July, but quite weak.

You may find some further info from my VHF UHF Tropo Log page http://www.vk2krr.com/vhf_signal_enhancement_log.htm
VK3ALZ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3ALZ »

Hello Leigh

Okay about the logger data, I'll have ask Adam whether its possible to retrive that data and for me to use it....?
As I said I'm also interested to see if things have changed over the years or have stayed the same.
Please send me the details of your contacts and I'll include this in the data as well.

I have to say understanding the modes of propogation and why is perhaps a subject for others when the data is complided.

Michael
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Hi Michael,

You may also find it instructive to read Andrew Martin's (VK3OE/VK3KAQ) 2004 Gippstech paper on "VHF & Microwave Characteristics of Ducts", obtainable here: http://vhfdx.radiocorner.net/docs/GTPaper2004V2-1.pdf

All power to you guys for your efforts.

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH