Post by VK4TS »

Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Re: Christmas Present from the ACMA

Post by VK2TS »

Good news, and excellent work by the WIA. Another reason all amateurs should become a member. Whilst the WIA is not perfect, no organization is or ever will be. I will be interested to see the exact outcome, the process required to get that privilege (I bet there is an additional cost like 137KHz rather than just adding the privilege to the license class) , and the areas where it is not permitted.

Good work and thanks to the WIA!!!

Cheers
Tony VK2TS
Tony
VK2TS
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Maybe this should read Christmas present from the ACMA and WIA.

It will be interesting to see those who claim to have higher power but no apparant change in signal strength .... :?
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK2TS wrote:Good work and thanks to the WIA!!!
Hear, hear.

And some people won't join the WIA, but prefer to complain about it instead.

I wonder if these non WIA members will still run standard power, or whether they too will enjoy the benefits that the WIA help to bring about, such as this one?

For all those non-members who have an amplifier, the link to join the WIA is here.
For a trivial amount, joining will save you the embarrassment of being seen as a hypocrite.

Proud to be a WIA member.
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

If there was a "LIKE" button, I would press it for your post Adam :D
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Me too! (on both counts)
Attachments
Like image.jpg
Like image.jpg (4.23 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4KGW

Post by VK4KGW »

VK2KRR wrote:Maybe this should read Christmas present from the ACMA and WIA.

It will be interesting to see those who claim to have higher power but no apparant change in signal strength .... :?
THIS !!!!:)
VK4KGW

Post by VK4KGW »

ADMIN wrote:
VK2TS wrote:Good work and thanks to the WIA!!!
Hear, hear.

And some people won't join the WIA, but prefer to complain about it instead.

I wonder if these non WIA members will still run standard power, or whether they will enjoy the benefits that the WIA help to bring about, such as this one?

For all those non-members who have an amplifier, the link to join the WIA is here.
For a trivial amount, joining will save you the embarrassment of being seen as a hypocrite.

Proud to be a WIA member.
In truth the work was done by a number of smart people some of whom happen to have joined the wia , without these people little would have been done imho .
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

From the WIA website, second dot point:

"The higher power limits will only be permitted on the amateur HF bands where the amateur service is the primary service. The WIA has requested that the band 7100 to 7200 kHz be also included, and this is being considered"

Is this just a case of clumsy wording, or will higher power only be allowed on HF? The wording, as written, excludes VHF and above.

Chas
VK3PY
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

How can it be a Christmas present?
It is after 1st march next year.... And you have to apply.... And your application needs to be accepted..

So whoa back there cowboys...... And it is a TRIAL... Not a present... so calm down everybody.....

Thanks to the WIA team that have made a move in the right direction so as the VK AR service can have the same PEP
as most other countries.....The US, Germany, and many many other countries have had a KW or more for years.
Better late than never..

I am a member of the WIA too... this organization represents ALL operators, not just paid up members... Consider joining if you are not a member.

Might start saving for an Amp.....

73, Merry Christmas and a HAPPY NEW YEAR

De John, VK5PO
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Trent,

You're our man on the inside, as Chas noted the release is either poorly worded or seems to exclude terrestrial operations on VHF and above.

Can we get clarification?
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

You could take that statement that Chas referred to in two ways.
-Its ONLY going to be intended for HF Amateur bands, not VHF UHF.
-Its intended for the whole Amateur service, but on the HF bands only those with primary use.

Personally I dont think there is much to be gained if its only for HF, but it would make VHF & UHF quite interesting if there were some able to muster that kind of power safely.

PS John, stay calm.
PPS. Scott, like the thumbs up logo!
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I'm sure some already know my thoughts on QRO and its terrestrial 'needs', but I guess it could be useful for some that can prove a genuine requirement. Of course, not me - I enjoy working the world on data modes with never more than 10W to an end fed piece of wire 8)

I appreciate Australia is much quieter radio-wise than Europe, where back there 40m in an evening becomes absolutely unusable to anyone without a Yagi with a large F/B ratio due to 60db over S9 2kW+ Italians (sorry to be blunt!) all over the band. If everyone ran no more power than necessary it would be a much happier part of the HF spectrum. I just hope it doesn't deteriorate to end up like that here, and the ACMA keep close tabs on how things change and how usable the bands remain.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK2GOM wrote:I'm sure some already know my thoughts on QRO and its terrestrial 'needs', but I guess it could be useful for some that can prove a genuine requirement. Of course, not me - I enjoy working the world on data modes with never more than 10W to an end fed piece of wire 8)

I appreciate Australia is much quieter radio-wise than Europe, where back there 40m in an evening becomes absolutely unusable to anyone without a Yagi with a large F/B ratio due to 60db over S9 2kW+ Italians (sorry to be blunt!) all over the band. If everyone ran no more power than necessary it would be a much happier part of the HF spectrum. I just hope it doesn't deteriorate to end up like that here, and the ACMA keep close tabs on how things change and how usable the bands remain.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
So what's the difference from the old days here when 40m was chock full of 1/2 megawatt broadcast stations?

Anyway, as I've stated before, I'd simply be happy for an increase of the current archaic 120w limit on CW and digital modes.

Let's hope it becomes a permanent arrangement. Well done to all those involved with this.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK6ZRY

Post by VK6ZRY »

This will just legalize all those Big Gun Dxers who have kilowatt amps running at a meager 400 Watts.

Some of us would say it is a non-event.

In days gone by they were said to have "Magic Coax" that allowed more signal to their arrays.

Now getting permission to continue using a Kilowatt is nothing special.
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

up to 1,000 watts PEP all amateur primary bands, on application by the licensee to vary the conditions of his licence, demonstrating compliance with the Radiation Protection Standard for Maximum Exposure Levels to Radiofrequency Fields - 3 kHz to 300 GHz.
Trent VK4TS
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Regarding the trial - THERE IS NO BLANKET 1KW

ACMA will only allow 1KW where EME obligations (the old ACA EMR Self Assessment
standard) and an individual application Variation to a licence is submitted and compliance with the following -

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_2798

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc= ... Conditions

and what is assumed is you will need to complete

http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets/ma ... ation_info\
rmation.pdf

Hope that helps to clarify matters - as shown by Michael Owen in his release a
lot of the detail needs further clarification
Trent VK4TS
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

There already is a provision for applying to use increased power on VHF - ask VK8AW/VK4ABW what he is allowed to run, and for what modes.

Anyway, I am a bit disappointed. I asked Santa for primary status on 50MHZ. Obviously I am on the “naughty” not the “nice” list. :cry:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4KGW

Post by VK4KGW »

VK4WDM wrote:There already is a provision for applying to use increased power on VHF - ask VK8AW/VK4ABW what he is allowed to run, and for what modes.

Anyway, I am a bit disappointed. I asked Santa for primary status on 50MHZ. Obviously I am on the “naughty” not the “nice” list. :cry:

Wayne VK4WDM
Hams will get primary status after the tv stations move away completly , then all sigs go to digital so tvi and interference drops to zilch
wont be next week but then after failed attempts to sell it off we will get it
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

I note the ACMA has posted the information for the application for increased power see http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_410285
Note applications will not be accepted before the 1st of March 2012. Make sure you do the emr checks to confirm your station is compliant.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS