Conection between Radio and laptop

VK5JOB
Forum Novice

Conection between Radio and laptop

Post by VK5JOB »

Hi All,
Have seen cables like rs232 to hook radio and computer up, but with new laptop's they dont have these ports so not sure how a usb to rs232 would work.

I would like to hook my Kenwood TS570DG up to my laptop, to try the logging software etc, anyone tried this ? or have any suggestions.

Thanks
John
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Re: Conection between Radio and laptop

Post by VK3DXE »

There are a number of different cables available on eBay, etc. for specific radios. If the cable you get needs a serial port, then there are also a number of USB to serial adaptors available from a number of sources also.

Edit: I'd also suggest that when you buy your control cable, spend a few extra dollars for something that will also allow you to run digital modes in the future if you decide to upgrade your license.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK5JOB
Forum Novice

Post by VK5JOB »

Thanks Alan,

I have seen a few on ebay, but most seem to look like they are male, think i might need a female but will see how we go.

Cheers
John
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/KenwoodCAT.shtml

Try these -

I have bought a couple of different ones from G4ZLP - FT1000D FT990 FT980 FT857 - Supply is fast and product is -so far - fine - A lot of the ebay chinese ones are pretty bad - (ie dont work or fail after a short time)

This is only on the basis that the only three people I know to have bought the Chinese ebay interfaces have had them fail inside 6 months - and the one I bought failed first go - making the reference point 100% fail - but I stand to be proven wrong as there are many suppliers
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

Looks like perhaps the TS570DG does not need an actual interface, just a cable. That might be like the FT847 and use a normal RS232 cable. If the genders are wrong then use a gender changer.

I have used a USB-Serial converter to control my radio's from a PC without a serial port. Worked ok. I guess as with most things some work and some won't. It would be trial and error. I was lucky I guess the Chinese USB-Serial I tried worked.
Last edited by VK6ADF on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

I recently bought a CAT cable from a UK eBay seller for my Yaesu FT-840. It had the serial-USB conversion circuit built into the cable but it looks like a standard USB connector. Works a treat, love it!
Theo
VK5IR