Computer Logging Applications

VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Computer Logging Applications

Post by VK5IR »

Hi all

I've been using a very basic spread sheet for logging since I was first licensed in 2007 and it works very well (although its a bit slow when the bands are busy) however I'm thinking of upgrading to something "smarter".

I hear Ham Radio Deluxe is very good but I'd like to know what everyone uses and recommends.

I often work DX stations who know my name before I give it to them and I assume its their logging software that brings up all my info as soon as they enter my callsign. I believe this data is pulled from the QRZ.com data feed which is a paid service...?

Another cool thing I've noticed is a few operators seem to be automatically prompted when our last QSO was.

I use VKCL for contesting and I believe its logging data can be imported into today's popular logging apps which sounds like a good feature, but besides this I don't really know what other types of cool stuff I can do with a decent logging app.

So, what do you guys use and what kind of cool stuff does it do?
Theo
VK5IR
VK7YXX

Re: Computer Logging Applications

Post by VK7YXX »

I use the logging application that's part of HRD, and I think it's quite good, but I haven't looked around much as HRD seems to have most of what I need in one suite of applications.

I also use QRZ.com and eQSL.cc, both linked with HRD logging. No fee is required for the basic stuff.
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

VK7YXX wrote:
I also use QRZ.com and eQSL.cc, both linked with HRD logging. No fee is required for the basic stuff.
Hi Don.

What kind of things/functions can HRD do with QRZ tied in for free?

Thanks.

Theo.
Last edited by VK5IR on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theo
VK5IR
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Theo, what is your main area of interest?

If it's 6m and above, then you will be looking for a logging app that handles grid squares well.
VQLog is hard to beat in that regard.
http://www.vhfdx.info/vqlog.html

If you like the novelty of rig control, etc, then VQLog would not be a good choice.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

Hi Adam

I only use HF (apart from local FM repeater use whilst mobile to and from work in the car - which I don't log).
Theo
VK5IR
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

If you like the novelty of rig control, etc, then VQLog would not be a good choice.
Ham Radio Deluxe starts to look attractive when you want this... freeware too!
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK7YXX

Post by VK7YXX »

Based on a callsign, HRD Logbook will lookup the following information when you create a logbook entry (without a subscription):

- Country
- First Name
- Last name

It can also:

Fill out other information from QSO's in your log book with the same callsign.
Filter your log book to display past QSO's for the same callsign, locator or country.
Upload QSO's to your eQSO.cc log book when you add an entry (free service).

The benefits of subscription are listed here.

There is also a web interface option for QRZ.com, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

I don't think I've even touched the surface of what it can do. All I know is when I think of something I want to record there's a spot to do it.
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

VK7YXX wrote:Based on a callsign, HRD Logbook will lookup the following information when you create a logbook entry (without a subscription):

- Country
- First Name
- Last name
How do I enable this?

I've tried entering a few dummy entries in (using real callsigns) and these fields just stay blank. Is there a setting somewhere I'm supposed to enable to let the fields auto update?

Is there a dummy's guide to HRD or some how to's anywhere?
VK7YXX wrote:
The benefits of subscription are listed here.
I've seen this, but it doesn't highlight what more you get. I mean you've told me that HRD can pull country, first and last names from QRZ for free, but what does paying get you on top of this?

Thanks for all your help.

Theo.
Theo
VK5IR
VK4CDI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CDI »

I use Logger32....free...has basic rig control/rotor control and probably other stuff..

Cheers
Phil VK4CDI
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

I use UR5EQF Log 3, it does look up via QRZ etc, also has a dx cluster spotter in it, rig control etc.

The web page is in Russian but easily run through Google Translate, the program itself is English (helpful ;) ).

I haven't tried many logging programs so not sure how this compares to other programs.
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

I personally use Logger 32 as the generic log- simple not PC hungry does RTTY PSK and CW - with MMVARI

Writelog for SSB RTTY CW contesting

N1MM when at VK4KW

VKCL for VK contests - all get posted back into Logger 32 -
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

Hi Theo

I use HRD and it is important you do two things before the QRZ info and distance and beam heading calculator will work. You must specify your Grid locator in my station (Configure - My Station) and also I have found you must log into qrz.com using the internal browser for the qrz button to work. HRD is great and I am confident any other program will not do as much for free. It exports in the standard logbook format adif. I also have a rig interface for my Icom 756ProII so frequency is auto entered also. I haven't played with the data suite included and when my IC7600 turns up I will find out. Good start is the user forums where it is all explained.

Cheers
Tony VK2TS
Tony
VK2TS
VK7YXX

Post by VK7YXX »

VK5MTM wrote:How do I enable this?
In HRD Logbook click the "Configure" option from the top menu (the right-most menu item), then select "Callsign Lookup". On the "Lookup Options" tab there is a spot to put in your QRZ.com username and password, and select the "Subscription Interface (Fast)" radio button. I know you don't have a subscription, but it works for the limited details I mentioned.
VK5MTM wrote:I've seen this, but it doesn't highlight what more you get. I mean you've told me that HRD can pull country, first and last names from QRZ for free, but what does paying get you on top of this?
I don't have a subscription so I can't be positive, but I assume that instead of just the limited country and name you get the all the callsign lookup information available from the QRZ.com website.
VK7YXX

Post by VK7YXX »

VK2TS wrote:You must specify your Grid locator in my station (Configure - My Station) and also I have found you must log into qrz.com using the internal browser for the qrz button to work.
This will work for the QRZ.com web interface but it does not return the name. The information returned is:

- Latitude
- Longitude
- Gridsquare
- ITUZone
- CQZone

Unless I'm missing something I don't think you can get all the information at once without a subscription.
VK7YXX

Post by VK7YXX »

After a bit of research, here's an example of what's returned by the Logbook Data subscription service (according to the specification):

<call>AA7BQ</call>
<dxcc>291</dxcc>
<fname>FRED L</fname>
<name>LLOYD</name>
<addr1>8711 E PINNACLE PEAK RD 159</addr1>
<addr2>SCOTTSDALE</addr2>
<state>AZ</state>
<zip>85014</zip>
<country>United States</country>
<ccode>291</ccode>
<lat>34.23456</lat>
<lon>-112.34356</lon>
<grid>DM32af</grid>
<county>Maricopa</county>
<fips>04013</fips>
<land>USA</land>
<efdate>2000-01-20</efdate>
<expdate>2010-01-20</expdate>
<p_call>KJ6RK</p_call>
<class>E</class>
<codes>HAI</codes>
<qslmgr>NONE</qslmgr>
<email>flloyd@qrz.com</email>
<url>http://www.qrz.com/callsign/aa7bq</url>
<u_views>115336</views>
<bio>3937/2003-11-04</bio>
<image>http://files.qrz.com/q/aa7bq/aa7bq.jpg</image>
<serial>3626</serial>
<moddate>2003-11-04 19:37:02</moddate>
<MSA>6200</MSA>
<AreaCode>602</AreaCode>
<TimeZone>Mountain</TimeZone>
<GMTOffset>-7</GMTOffset>
<DST>N</DST>
<eqsl>Y</eqsl>
<mqsl>Y</mqsl>
<cqzone>3</cqzone>
<ituzone>2</ituzone>
<locref>1</locref>
<born>1953</born>
VK5FSCK

Post by VK5FSCK »

I use xlog, found it very useful for logging as when you start a new db you can select what fields you like to have active, of coarse you change it to at later date. for contesting it is great as you only have to click the mouse on some the stuff if you have xlog configured to us Hamlib as it collects the info from the radio.
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

Well had a bit of a play with HRD Log last night and so far I'm very impressed!

Going to spend some more time playing to get my head around all its features and functionality before I make the switch. I'm also reading up on converting my current spread sheet log to ADIF format so that I can import the data into HRD Log.

Overall, so far HRD is looking good!
Theo
VK5IR
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

I've been using HRD for some time and find it does everything I need. You can filter the output for, say, mode, band, country, etc.

For 2m it works quite well, as it autofills the details of stations you've already worked previously, but can be a bit cumbersome during Es openings, so I tend to use a notepad and then enter the contact details afterwards. I find this helpful, especially when also trying to post contacts on the logger at the same time.

Edit: Just one thing re HRD though, if you are using other software for digital modes, ensure that you set the TX control to "None", otherwise you may find yourself as I did at 3am in the middle of an EME contact suddenly losing TX control in WSJT.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK7YXX

Post by VK7YXX »

As others have said, I think the HRD suite really comes in to it's own when you want to use it for a combination of the following:

Controlling a compatible transceiver
Logging
Satellites (including rotator/elevator control)
Packet

But I think it's worth it just for the logging.
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

Well I've been using HRD log for about 2 weeks now and really liking it.

My CAT cable arrived today so hopefully I'll be able to connect my FT-840 to my PC for HRD log to be able to automatically input the frequency and mode straight into the logger when logging a QSO.

I've also been manually entering my old QSO's from my Excel spread sheet log into HRED when I can, 200 down, only another 700 to go!

Just one quick question, does anybody know if I can run any kind of country report which reports on which countries I've worked?

Thanks.

Theo.
Theo
VK5IR