ISS - Should I Be Hearing Anything?

Discussion about orbiting satellite, and balloon launches
VK7YXX

ISS - Should I Be Hearing Anything?

Post by VK7YXX »

Hey all,

I've been scanning all the ISS frequencies during high and low passes in the last couple of weeks, at various times of day and night.

Should I be hearing anything (because I'm not)?
VK2DVZ
Frequent Poster

Re: ISS - Should I Be Hearing Anything?

Post by VK2DVZ »

Hi,
Try checking out the ISS fan club link for current reported activity.
http://www.issfanclub.com/

Ross....
Ross, VK2DVZ
VK7YXX

Post by VK7YXX »

Yeah, I've had a look around at various sites, including issfanclub, and it seems to be a rare for there be much happening over Australia, and even rarer for the repeater to be active.

I think I'll look for other satellites.
VK7YXX

Post by VK7YXX »

I heard probably a 2 second burst of packet on 145.825 last night. I guess it could have been local. Apart from that it was quiet again.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK7YXX wrote:I heard probably a 2 second burst of packet on 145.825 last night. I guess it could have been local. Apart from that it was quiet again.
if the packet was at the time the ISS was due then it was probably the ISS. If there is no local activity all you would hear is a quick burst from the beacon. If it was a local you would hear either more activity from their beacon or from their station trying to contact.

Certainly more chance of activity on the other satellites.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2DDS

Post by VK2DDS »

If you want easy sats to work I can highly recommend SO-50. I got my first contact through it using a homebrew crossed VHF/UHF yagi (3 and 4 elements respectively, 5W Tx from a HT).

I've tried to hear the ISS a few times as well but have never had any luck with it.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

ISS is now also on 437.55 MHz with packet according to what I have read.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK7YXX

Post by VK7YXX »

Thanks for the info.

I heard another couple of bursts of packet from the ISS on its last pass. Move along, nothing to see hear, would best describe it at the moment.

Hopefully I'll be around for a few passes of other satellites over the weekend.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Im fairly sure I heard a signal from ISS by accident last night while looking for 2m TEP signals.
It was on 145.951 MHz FM, could hear a female voice and then a male foreign speaking voice, then it faded away.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

Hi Leigh, on 145.951 MHz you probably heard ARISS-1. In fact remove the probably. You heard ARISSat-1. The frequency 145.950Mz is the Digitalker frequency for it.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Was thinking I had some overseas weird transmission coming in via TEP there for a moment, especially when the foreign voice popped up! But then I looked up the freq and also the position of the ISS and thought it must have come from that somehow. :?