Unlicensed radio communicators??

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2CJC

Unlicensed radio communicators??

Post by VK2CJC »

Please see this WIA news item-
http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php

Reading between the lines, it looks like a few guys got busted for using HF rigs on 11mtrs.

Is this the fallout from the "station inspections" earlier this year? Or were these guys genuinely caught being naughty?
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Unlicensed radio communicators??

Post by VK4CZ »

The underlying issue was described as:
The ACMA's Field Operations Sections found each were operating on High Frequency (HF) frequencies outside the radio bands they were authorised to use.
So most likely they were caught operating between the approved CBRS and HF bands (27.405MHz and 28.000MHz).
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK2CJC

Post by VK2CJC »

I noticed that wording too.

It also says they were "operating". Which suggests much more than just being caught with a rig capable of going out of band. But this may be standard wording which legally covers all scenarios.

This doesnt make any differance to me, but I was curious to see if this was a result of the recent station inspections which the WIA have been in discussion with the ACMA about.
VK2XQ

Post by VK2XQ »

The majority of 27MHz SSB DXers in Sydney operate amateur transceivers, some even gloat about it on 27.355MHz LSB! So if there was a genuine interest by the authorities in putting the lid on this they wouldn't have far to look in the Sydney metro area... :wink:

Operating amateur sets on 27MHz goes right back to the 1970's (I was guilty of this offence!), getting a crystal ordered to replace the 10m band one in FT-101's and TS-520S etc was common. So, 30 years or so down the track things have changed little from the past. Jack VK2XQ.
VK2CJC

Post by VK2CJC »

I should imagine that Aus approved radios on 27megs are very much in the minorioty these days. You havent been able to buy an approved SSB set for nearly 10 years.

Ham gear would take the fun out if it for me. CB is cheap and simple. Thats the enjoyment of it.

(I mean the radios, not the people)
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

My guess is that the guys who were caught were actually operating rather than just having the means to do so. Having said that, I have a FT101 in working order that I just had a look at. Guess what? It covers 11m and still had the crystal in it! :shock: :oops: I took the crystal out, hit it with a hammer and tossed the remains away - just in case the ACMA comes knocking at my door (not that I have been naughty - not for 30 yrs anyway :D

Seriously though, these 'HF ers" were a right pain in the rear last cycle when some of them invaded the 10m ham band. One guy used to operate SSB in the CW segment and openly stated to stations he was working that he ran 1000w!

Wayne VK4WDM
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK7HH »

The article also refers to "hobbyists"...not radio amateurs. So those that were operating on these bands may have been using ham equipment but not had the appropriate licence.
VK2CJC

Post by VK2CJC »

"hobbyists, comprising those using the Citizen Band (CB) and Amateur Radio frequencies"

A statment both vague and all encompassing at the same time :)

Makes you wonder what they were trying not to say.....
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

It only needs a cursory glance around any 4WD show or event to see unlincensed users of Icom 706 Mk2G's (which seem to be a favourite with the off-road fraternity).

I even got thrown off a 4WD forum with a tirade of abuse by suggesting that one particular unlicensed user should not be using it, modified, on the VK 4WD outback frequencies.

I guess most 4WD shows and events are on weekends, and ACMA are a Monday to Friday operation. Thus, the illegal users get away with it.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

VK4WDM wrote:, I have a FT101 in working order that I just had a look at. Guess what? It covers 11m and still had the crystal in it! :shock: :oops: I took the crystal out, hit it with a hammer and tossed the remains away -
Wayne VK4WDM
That would be one of many - I have a FT101 beside me and lo and behold it does 11m - it all depends on who and when the 11m crystal was put in - interestingly if mine was put in by the manufacturer before import then by taking it out, in theory for a foundation license op, it may then be considered as a modified device - ah you win some you lose some :D
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK2CJC

Post by VK2CJC »

A lot of 101s had 11m as standard fitting. 11m was an amateur band in some places in the 1970s. (It still is in ZL).

My 101E had 11, but my 101Zs did not.

But we all know such radios exist. What we dont know is what that WIA news report was all about :)
VK3ZFS

Post by VK3ZFS »

Had the ACMA chap tell me its not permitted to have possession of any radio that will operate outsite of the Ham LCD.
Its really code for saying ACMA we dont trust VKs Hams to possess any radio that can TX out of band.
That makes its illegal to import Chineese Handhelds and Collect Military radios?
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

...which is in direct contradiction to what the chap from ACMA told me.

So you have to take a sledgehammer to your Yaesu FT101ZD.

I don't.

Confusion reigns, as I mentioned on another topic.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

That makes its illegal to import Chineese Handhelds and Collect Military radios?
There is a special section in the Remembrance Day contest for those who are operating WW2 military equipment. Typical coverage for this sort of gear is 4 - 8 MHZ and I have never heard of the ACMA or one of its predecessors expressing a concern about it being used on the 40m ham band. I have just finished restoring an old aircraft transmitter to use in this year's RD contest so I will be a bit p---d off if its deemed to be illegal! :evil:

Many of the 160m AM nets around VK are run on ex-commercial transmitters that have a wider coverage than the 160m ham band. Are they also operating illegally?

Different people within the ACMA appear to be saying different things, and it definitely needs to be sorted out! :?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2CJC

Post by VK2CJC »

Sorry Wayne, according to the radcoms act, your military radio has been illegal since 1992.

Yes that is utterly ridiculous.

Yes it needs sorted out.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

If that is really the case, somebody better alert the organizers of the RD contest before they are pinged for promoting illegal activity.

And from one of my posts on another thread:

[i]One of the reasons I am so antsy about it is that I am the trustee of the Townsville RAAF Museum station VK4KG. It is mostly "vintage equipment" certainly capable of out of band operation, and impossible to modify. It would not look good if a ham station on defence force land was pinged for having illegal equipment! The base CO would probably drag me before a firing squad and not even give me the benefit of a blindfold! :shock: [/i]

But very importantly the RADCOm act also says "possession without reasonable excuse". As I have said before, one can expect the ACMA to be reasonable people who will understand reasonable excuses so I don't expect to become a SK by way of a firing squad bullet any time soon. :)

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2CJC

Post by VK2CJC »

Its the reasonable excuse clause that really needs clarifying. Although it may be in everyones interest if it remained vague.

I'd guess at 99% of amateur radio station own equipment which contravenes the radcoms act. And the huge majority of those guys dont know there is a legal issue or have even considered they may be less than completely legit.

Having a casual interest in WW2 military gear, I think the idea of a ham sending some qrp cw on 40m on a 19 set being an act liable to earn him a fine and have his equipment confiscated is utterly ridiculous and the best example why the writers of the radcoms act didnt even consider the equistance of amateur radio when it was created.
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Wouldnt you need a resonant or at least usuable antenna to operate it on any frequency or band? So if you dont have a usable antenna for non HAM bands then how could you operate it?

Compton
VK7HRX
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2CJC

Post by VK2CJC »

Interesting point. I never thought of that.

In the case of chinese hand helds, they have an antenna attached so are a complete station in there own right.

And most ham stations have an ATU so any old piece of wire will work on any old frequency.

But for museum collections etc, a transmitter alone is not an operational station.