Do birds attack dacron?

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK2FANG
Forum Novice

Do birds attack dacron?

Post by VK2FANG »

Folks,

I am (still) in the planning stage of putting up a 30' telo. The last one I put up was with traditional galvanised guy wire but for my next one, I was thinking of using Dacron guy from Gap for its obvious advantages as an insulator.

The only problem I have with synthetic guy is its longevity and its susceptibility to bird attack - particularly cockatoos. Can anyone advise please?
VK2HEY/VK2FANG
Wyangala Amateur and Citizens Radio Society
https://www.qrz.com/db/VK2HEY
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Re: Do birds attack dacron?

Post by VK1JA »

Not specifically for dacron, but I found that when I had a dipole up which needed the support guys to be close to horizontal that the cockies loved swining upside down on them and have a chew...

Although, now that I'm using a guyed vertical, and the guys are on a steep angle and the cockies can't grip the guys tight enough to be able to land and stay in one spot, so they don't bother it :)
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

i put up telos as my job, i would suggest using normal gal guy wires and egg insulators right at the mast, and some other ones further down the guys so you can use them as dipoles, then eggs there and a run of gal wire to the anchors. you will have no problem with bird attack or sunlight deterioration etc and therefore no chance it will collapse and kill someone or break something
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

For over ten years I have been using "SITA" wire..(not a wire as such) (Horse fencing) 4mm Diameter
100m costs around $50, excellent, long lasting, strong, non conductive guying material, all of my antennas
thus far are supported, and are supporting these antennae:

160m Dipole
80m OCF Dipole
80m Full-wavelength loop
and my full sized 75m (3.790Mhz) Vertical which is over 18m in height.

Never seen a bird on it ever.
It is about time this secret was more widely known!!
Email me if you want to see pictures.
73, de John, VK5PO
VK4CRO
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CRO »

the cockies damaged my ldf250 ,actually denting the copper shield
as well as chewing thru the outer jacket letting in moisture.
SITA wire should be good !!
ciao Ron vk4cro
Cheers
Ron cro