Echolink

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Re: Echolink

Post by VK2AAH »

PM me with some more details and I will have the situation clarified.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

You can't expect Richard to divulge the contents of a private communication without the sender's permission....

Why can't the ACMA and the WIA come out with a statement on this?

People expect quick comms these days.

If the ACMA have made a determination, surely it should be promulgated to all?
VK3BSF

Post by VK3BSF »

Until ACMA clarify then I shall continue as I have in the past??....I guess ACMA are drawing up a set of regs to cover the issue hence the delay
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

No update from what I reported previously.

Regards

Richard
VK2DCR

Post by VK2DCR »

It sort of makes sense, an IRLP/Echolink node can be seen one half of a voice repeater - it's just that the RX is connected via the 'Net.
my 2c worth
Doug VK2DCR
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

VK3CRG wrote:Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring an old topic back to life, but I've recently (March 2014) been in contact with Mark Tell at the ACMA in Melbourne (ACMA Field Operations) and he has advised me that I AM required to hold a separate license in order to run my IRLP / EchoLink node while not in attendance.

The reason I require a separate license is that if the 'automatic station' is used unattended for VOICE - you do need a separate "repeater" license (in my case VK3R**) despite the fact that my node is a 2 metre simplex node and not in anyway connected to a repeater.

The node I run is IRLP Node # 6789 & EchoLink 79555 in Lara near Geelong Vic which had been operating for 18 months with no issues and is used a lot by local amateurs and folk dialling into it. However recently there had been some sort of interference which was coming from somewhere near the Geelong CBD on the node's 2m frequency which was causing problems for some using the node.

I contacted the ACMA and they did investigate the issue, and it was then I was asked if I had a separate license for the node as it's operated "unattended" and is used for "voice".

After a long discussion clarifying the ACMA's position, I was told the following by Mark...(quoting)...

"Unless the device is licensed, ie as a Repeater or a Beacon, or it is an automatic station, ie APRS or Packet; operating it unattended is a breach of Sect 9 of the LCD.

You will find that that quite a number of these simplex nodes are indeed licensed and issued with an “R” call. i.e search VK3RVZ, VK3RIT, VK3RPJ, etc

You would need to apply through the WIA"...

It's my understanding that more than one Victorian amateur has recently had their nodes taken off-air by ACMA inspectors, as the nodes were not separately licensed or allocated a frequency by the ACMA.

My node was already off-air while the ACMA investigated the interference, and since finding out I need a separate repeater license, I've put in my application via the WIA and I'm now awaiting confirmation from the ACMA of my VK3R** call sign and allocated frequency.

Before I put the node on air, I called the Licensing Division of the ACMA in Canberra and explained to them what I was doing and they said I did NOT require a license, so it's definitely an area that involves much confusion.

The LCD's don't mention IRLP or EchoLink but only 'repeaters' and 'beacons' so it's very confusing, but it appears to think that IRLP and EchoLink nodes are treated the same as a packet or APRS station is incorrect. If it's for voice and used unattended - you need a license according to ACMA.

However, it was also made very clear that you DO NOT need a license if you don't run your node "unattended".

Craig VK3CRG
Don't worry, Craig. The ACMA will be flat out early next year chasing interference to 700MHz LTE mobile networks from soon-to-be illegal devices still operating in that part of the spectrum, which has since been purchased by a couple of major mobile carriers, who I will imagine will require full protection of their spectrum that many dollars have changed hands for.

Chasing borderline IRLP nodes will be small fry... :crazy:

Cheers from a Transportable & Multi-frequency IRLP node owner,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

One thing amateurs operating unlicensed nodes on the channels allocated in the band-plan for these need to realise is that since neither ACMA or the WIA are aware they exist there is no guarantee that another station nearby will not be allocated the frequency they are using. If/when that happens the station who has licensed the service has every right to be protected from interference when using that frequency- the license DOES give them recourse to the ACMA if the other station doesn't cease to interfere. Don't take your case of the poos out on them because nothing is stopping anyone else from doing the same.

Just a friendly "heads up"...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3XRI

Post by VK3XRI »

Just slightly off topic .. but does that mean we no longer have to deal with that other clown and his dictatorship with repeater lisences I once enquired about this and got a very rude abrupt email from him giving me the third degree !!!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

VK2AAH wrote:One thing amateurs operating unlicensed nodes on the channels allocated in the band-plan for these need to realise is that since neither ACMA or the WIA are aware they exist there is no guarantee that another station nearby will not be allocated the frequency they are using. If/when that happens the station who has licensed the service has every right to be protected from interference when using that frequency- the license DOES give them recourse to the ACMA if the other station doesn't cease to interfere. Don't take your case of the poos out on them because nothing is stopping anyone else from doing the same.

Just a friendly "heads up"...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
Amateurs have one distinct advantage over commercial services - a VFO knob....

I intend to keep running my echolink node from my QTH on a simplex channel.

Of course, said node is supervised, personally by me, at all times and the node radio ToT is set to 3 mins.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Just an update on the Sunbury VK3 IRLP nodes... applications were received by the WIA on the 12th of June, received by me on the 17th, and submitted to ACMA today (22nd).

It really isn't that hard if people just work together... thanks to John (and Craig) for dealing with me sensibly on this matter. I don't need aggravation & I know the issue has p!ssed quite a few off but I'm just trying to get these sorted out to everyones' satisfaction.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK5DMC

Post by VK5DMC »

The Radio communications License Condition (Amateur Determination) 2015
STATES:-
Section 26 Part 6 Conditions:- Amateur Foundation Station
27A
(1) The holder of the license must not authorise another person to operate the Amateur station authorised by the licence if the other person is not a qualified operator or qualified person.
(2) The holder of the licence must not operate an Amature station using automatic mode or computer controlled mode.
(3) The holder of the licence must not operate an Amateur station that is directly connected to a public telecommunications network.
Note:- An amateur foundation station may be indirectly connected to a public telecommunications network through a gateway operated by another licensee.

What does all this mean?

F calls can use echolink via radio or via a mobile phone as (An operator)
F calls and can not operate an echolink link or a repeater. They can not connect the radio to the computer and transmit on air or down the telephone line.
Echolink can be used via a computer by an F call provided the computer is not connected to an amateur radio. This is the same as using a mobile phone above. The F call is working as an operator not as a link or a repeater as no radio is connected to the computer.

I hope this is clear enough and it puts things into perspective for you.

Regards David Carwana VK5DMC :D