Echolink

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK3ZFS

Re: Echolink

Post by VK3ZFS »

Not a Issue if you have VPN tunnel between your home & remote location, im using ADSL & 3G for HF remote station using RemoteRig boxes & FT450, works a treat on shaped 64kbit link :)
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

That seems to me to be the sensible way to go that should address any ACMA operator control requirement. Can your remote rig control be set up on a laptop or phone to provide control while away from home?

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4UQ
Forum Novice

Post by VK4UQ »

Most EchoIRLP nodes can be controlled via SSH.

This can be done from most portable electronic devices or computers where an internet connection is available. This allows remote controlling of the node in all aspects, especially shutdown.

I think we all appreciate what Richard is sharing, considering it is for the benefit of the hobby and simply sharing what information or correspondence is out there.

I certainly do.

I think the views depend on the individual inspector, however whilst there maybe some Gray in the air, some will choose to fight and some will comply - whether that be "right" or "wrong".... I guess that is the part that is open to interpretation....
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

VK2AAH wrote:Don't be greedy... if we can get a clear unambiguous answer from ACMA you should be thankful.

Ahhh, no....

The ACMA are the regulator. If they have made a determination on Echolink operation, then they need to publicise it far and wide.

Amateurs need a public statement from ACMA, clarifying the position.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

I am sure that they are being bombarded with emails from concerned amateurs asking them for that as I type...
VK3ZFS

Post by VK3ZFS »

Can get VPN clients for your laptop, incomming router needs a Dynamic DNS service, many routers run VPN firmware as standard.
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

Ahhh, no....

The ACMA are the regulator. If they have made a determination on Echolink operation, then they need to publicise it far and wide.

Amateurs need a public statement from ACMA, clarifying the position.[/quote]

I agree, Richard cant you ask the sender for authority to republish it?
Tony
VK2TS
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

I noticed the APRS boys are starting to get towie on another thread for the very same reason. Whoever the VK3 who asked the ACMA, boy you have opened the biggest can of worms in your life. I for one will close my EchoIRLP node down on our local club repeater if extra money is requested. This is ridiculous. I am not convinced there is not a conflict of interest involved too. There are just too many rules for the sake of rules.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

So if ACMA has provided an opinion and made this known to the WIA representative who assists in managing this type of license on behalf of the WIA for the amateur community and this person is unable to communicate this ACMA information to the amateur community in full then were does that leave us?

There look’s to me like there is a gap in the process that needs to be filled.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK2AAH wrote:Sadly Tony your interpretation is trumped by the written correspondence I have from ACMA that says your interpretation is wrong. He gets paid to enforce the rules, neither you nor I do. My suggestion would be to heed those that issue the interpretations for a living.

Today I did what the rest of you should have done as well... written to both the President & Vice President of the WIA and the ACMA requesting that section 9's interpretation be published, preferably in AR.

Richard
VK2AAH
To be fair Compton, and not that he needs my support, Richard did already say he referred the matter to the WIA to get formal clarification of this legislation.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Compton,

I don't know where it leaves "us" but if you and others are concerned about this issue then I suggest you write to Phil Wait at the WIA, and to the ACMA. Why should it be left to me to do? For my part I've written to those, including the ACMA officer concerned, and today I spoke to a more senior person in the ACMA (who also is a member of this forum). I've asked for a clarification on the interpretation of clause 9... What more do some people want? Blood? Give me a break... I keep you guys informed yet people still bleat & moan- get off your butts and take the fight up to ACMA yourselves. Don't sit back and expect others to do all of the heavy lifting...

And Compton I expect better from you. You know full well that it would be totally inappropriate for me to forward correspondence sent in private to a public forum without the author's consent. It would be appalling behavior & would guarantee that the author would never put anything in writing again.

Richard Cerveny
VK2AAH
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

VK2TS wrote:I noticed the APRS boys are starting to get towie on another thread for the very same reason. Whoever the VK3 who asked the ACMA, boy you have opened the biggest can of worms in your life. I for one will close my EchoIRLP node down on our local club repeater if extra money is requested. This is ridiculous. I am not convinced there is not a conflict of interest involved too. There are just too many rules for the sake of rules.

Cheers
If your Echolink IRLP is licensed under your club repeater license it will not cost any more than the club is already paying.

And what conflict of interest? The WIA? They don't make a cent out of it. Me? It takes time out of my private life & costs me ink & bandwidth, and I don't get a cent either. WIA staff? Ditto... ACMA? They are the regulator, rule making is their game... and as I point out in most club cases they don't get a penny more... So tell me who has the conflict of interest?

If you don't like rules then 27MHz & 477MHz is there for you...

Lastly, the VK3 has been despicably singled out by cowards in the hobby. He was audited, given "advice" by an ACMA officer, and he had the decency to share his experience with others. He has demonstrated more integrity and consideration for the hobby than some here...

Richard Cerveny
VK2AAH
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Calm down Richard. I am not suggeting the issue is with you to resolve etc. I indicated that there was a gap in the process, not you.

I'l ignore the rest of your comments as they are not constructive.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Newsflash Compton... neither were yours.
VK5LA

Post by VK5LA »

This is money grubbing at its finest by the ACMA and the WIA. The ACMA get money for nothing and the WIA gets it's chicks for free.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

I'm clearly wasting my time on this forum...
VK3MIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3MIX »

VK2AAH wrote:If your Echolink IRLP is licensed under your club repeater license it will not cost any more than the club is already paying.
i would assume most IRLP or EchoLink nodes are not located at the repeater site, does a license variation need to be submitted and paid for to the ACMA to say that a node for that particular repeater is located at XYZ's home?
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

A very good question... I have seen club calls cover different services at more than one location under the same license. I'll get back to you with an answer...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

The answer to that is yes as illustrated by the list of services under VK2RAG:

http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/licen ... E_NO=16071

Quite clearly the service doesn't have to be co-located with the repeater(s).

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3MIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3MIX »

VK2AAH wrote:The answer to that is yes as illustrated by the list of services under VK2RAG:

http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/licen ... E_NO=16071

Quite clearly the service doesn't have to be co-located with the repeater(s).
That is quite a list of allocations against a single license.

Do you know if the annual license fee is per frequency set (TX/RX) or per license (VK3Rxx) regardless the number of allocations? Would VK2RAG be paying $$$$ or the usual $70 something annually?

For example, If you had an allocation at a repeater site (TX + RX) plus the allocation at the ILRP/EchoLink node location (TX) - Is the ILRP/Echolink node considered as an extra cost on top of the repeaters annual license fee or one flat annual fee for all allocations against that license? (Note: Ignoring the fact that there will be a variation fee)

A member of our club felt a bit discouraged to run a echolink node from his premises for our local repeater if we need to pay another annual license fee to feature echolink on our repeater.