Echolink

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Re: Echolink

Post by VK2AAH »

Nik it depends on the application & my workload... I can turn them around in a few days to a few weeks. I was brought on board to resolve the delays you refer to & I'm pretty sure I have. I also normally email the applicant when I receive the application & they get a copy of the submitted application when it is sent. There will always be the odd one that takes longer due to issues with the application, but not through any delays on the WIA's part.

Delays in ACMA are currently running at about 2-3 MONTHS... unfortunately there isn't much we can do about that.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3MIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3MIX »

VK2AAH wrote:Yes it does have to go through the WIA.

And you need to submit a call-sign request... you need to get that from the WIA office or someone here might have a blank copy (I don't)... Mal at the office will then forward the call-sign allocation to me & I will do the rest... it isn't a hard process. All up it will cost you $96 ($76 to ACMA, $20 for the call-sign).

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
Not sure if there is but it would be good if there were a page on the WIA website explaining this process with links to the required documents.
VK4UQ
Forum Novice

Post by VK4UQ »

Think you will find the information here : http://www.wia.org.au/members/tac/repeaterlicence
VK3MIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3MIX »

VK4LED wrote:Think you will find the information here : http://www.wia.org.au/members/tac/repeaterlicence
There is nothing on there about submitting a callsign request? I would assume that is optional and we can be assigned whatever is free.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

If you already have an "R" license extra services can be added under that. If you just have a regular amateur license you will need to apply for a call-sign for the new service, and the fee for that is $20 which covers the administration costs of providing the service on behalf of ACMA.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

VK2AAH wrote:Nik it depends on the application & my workload... I can turn them around in a few days to a few weeks. I was brought on board to resolve the delays you refer to & I'm pretty sure I have. I also normally email the applicant when I receive the application & they get a copy of the submitted application when it is sent. There will always be the odd one that takes longer due to issues with the application, but not through any delays on the WIA's part.

Delays in ACMA are currently running at about 2-3 MONTHS... unfortunately there isn't much we can do about that.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
72hours to apply, pay for and issue an Outpost Licence this week - no delays at the ACMA this week. All via email and without a spoken word of follow-up required. It was a similar turnaround time a couple of years ago for a similar licence as well. A couple of other things were sorted out with the ACMA inside a day this week as well. This is the usual level of service I've become used to from the ACMA in recent years.

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK3BA wrote: 72hours to apply, pay for and issue an Outpost Licence this week - no delays at the ACMA this week. All via email and without a spoken word of follow-up required....
My last amateur licence issue took just over 6 weeks for the whole process, and did require follow up to get the correct street address shown on the licence (which they were less than graceful about).

From comments you see, I don't think my experience was atypically long. Since the 'improvements' in the process for amateur call signs where peices of paper are snail mailed back via the applicant, thinks seem to be highly variable, but longer than my previous experience.

Owen
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Hi Nik,

Your transaction did not involve an ACMA assigner... the delays are still impacting on amateur repeater applications because they need to pass through an assigner before passing to the admin folk who process the payment.

I was told last night that there is a pile of paperwork at the WIA office for me to process. I will get these after the WIA conference so please give me a couple of weeks... I will keep applicants informed when I receive them.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

Hi Guys

Just a reminder that an Advanced or Standard licensee can operate a IRLP/Echolink node without an additional license:

As per section 9 of the the LCD which states:

9 Control of equipment at an amateur station

(1) The licensee must ensure that an amateur station is operated at all times by a

qualified operator or qualified person in attendance at the amateur station,

unless the station is:

(a) an amateur repeater station; or

(b) an amateur beacon station; or

(c) an amateur station using automatic mode (including, for example,

packet mode and radioteletype mode); or

(d) an amateur station using computer controlled mode (including, for

example, packet mode and radioteletype mode); or

(e) an amateur station at a remote location.

Clearly the operation of an IRLP/Echolink Node would be covered by section 9c/9d, No licence is required as you already have one your own.
Incidentally section 9e also allows one to have an IRLP/Echolink node at a remote location so all bases are covered. The ACMA have provided this legislation not me :)

The secret is don’t over complicate things.

Regards

Tony

VK2TS
Tony
VK2TS
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Sadly Tony your interpretation is trumped by the written correspondence I have from ACMA that says your interpretation is wrong. He gets paid to enforce the rules, neither you nor I do. My suggestion would be to heed those that issue the interpretations for a living.

Today I did what the rest of you should have done as well... written to both the President & Vice President of the WIA and the ACMA requesting that section 9's interpretation be published, preferably in AR.

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

VK2AAH wrote:Sadly Tony your interpretation is trumped by the written correspondence I have from ACMA that says your interpretation is wrong. He gets paid to enforce the rules, neither you nor I do. My suggestion would be to heed those that issue the interpretations for a living.

Today I did what the rest of you should have done as well... written to both the President & Vice President of the WIA and the ACMA requesting that section 9's interpretation be published, preferably in AR.

Richard
VK2AAH
Well Richard, I assume they will be altering the LCD as that's not what the documentation says. The LCD does not require interpretation as it is plainly documented. They obviously need to read their own documentation. I bet they change it with some other LCD changes in the future. What a joke just another way to raise revenue.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK2AAH wrote:Sadly Tony your interpretation is trumped by the written correspondence I have from ACMA that says your interpretation is wrong. He gets paid to enforce the rules, neither you nor I do. My suggestion would be to heed those that issue the interpretations for a living.

Richard
VK2AAH
Are you willing to publish a copy of the correspondence here ? , it's quite possible based on past experience being one persons opinion it might be factually in error and needing examination .
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Well Tony I read it differently to you and I've spoken to a few people today who also read it differently to you. That doesn't mean you are wrong, but it does indicate that the clause is open to multiple interpretations. And that means it is badly drafted... but arguing about it here isn't going to solve it because we aren't the regulator and trying to get amateurs to agree on most things is worse than herding cats. I'll pass it to more senior, authorised cat herders to deal with.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

VK4TI wrote:Are you willing to publish a copy of the correspondence here ? , it's quite possible based on past experience being one persons opinion it might be factually in error and needing examination .
The answer to that is no, because it was sent in a format that (I suspect deliberately) makes it difficult to forward. Given the seniority of the author my money is on him.
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

VK2AAH wrote:Well Tony I read it differently to you and I've spoken to a few people today who also read it differently to you. That doesn't mean you are wrong, but it does indicate that the clause is open to multiple interpretations. And that means it is badly drafted... but arguing about it here isn't going to solve it because we aren't the regulator and trying to get amateurs to agree on most things is worse than herding cats. I'll pass it to more senior, authorised cat herders to deal with.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
You know what Richard it doesn't matter if it is badly drafted that's the documentation and at the moment until they change it is law.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

[/quote]"VK4TI"]Are you willing to publish a copy of the correspondence here ? , it's quite possible based on past experience being one persons opinion it might be factually in error and needing examination

The answer to that is no, because it was sent in a format that (I suspect deliberately) makes it difficult to forward. Given the seniority of the author my money is on him.[/quote]

Everything may be copied if you try so highlight the text and right click copy , sorry but at this point it looks like did not happen without substantiation
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Frankly I don't care if you don't believe me... no skin off my nose. Even if I knew how I don't forward correspondence to public forums without the author's consent.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

I have not seen this mentioned yet. Whether it answers any questions...................?
AILS.pdf
(48.01 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
The current version which has slight changes is online here. http://tinyurl.com/kzfvpne
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

Richard
VK2AAH
Thanks Richard,

The ACMA interpretation needs to be published on the WIA website and the ACMA website.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Don't be greedy... if we can get a clear unambiguous answer from ACMA you should be thankful.