AIS Marine Traffic Tracking (tropo indicator)

AIS specific discussion
VK2KRR

Re: AIS Marine Traffic Tracking (tropo indicator)

Post by VK2KRR »

Signals are up quite a bit more than usual over there looking at your stats page, looks like some good condx around.
9A4CU
Forum Novice

Post by 9A4CU »

Yes,it takes a time on Marine Traffic to print out statistics but my plotter shows maximum distance tonight of 419,5 miles to Cagliari,Sardinia island !The others are between 116 and 366 miles.Nice surprise! It is late here 1 AM,time for bed and QRT comp and AIS receiver.
See you later !
:cry:
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

Hello marine trackers!

The VK Logger's "Op Info" user database now includes the ability to enter your Marine Traffic AIS Station ID number.

If you have a station ID, please update your profile (via your User Control Panel > My Profile) and enter it in! :D
Don't forget to save your changes!

You can search and sort on AIS IDs on the Op Info page, to see fellow Logites into tropo tracking.

This AIS functionality will expand in the future, such as one click links to see what these stations are receiving.
Ideally, it would be nice to overlay specified AIS receive station data on top of the DX Path Map as well.

:D
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Sounds good Adam, I've updated mine.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Actually Adam, Ive just had a look and searched for all stations with AIS and that worked fine.

I see u have the station AIS numbers hyperlinked to go to the marine traffic past 24 hr map. And again, that is good, but could I make a suggestion that they would be better off being linked to either the past 3 hour map, which is constantly updated. Or the stations stats page.

The 24 hr map is only updated once a day, around 0000 utc I think. And they show more than the past 24 hrs, its at least 48 or more.

So to find out what the particular station is hearing now, you need to either check the stats page or the 3 hr map.

I'd probably suggest linking it to the stats pages more than anything, because there u can see the max distance past hour in written or graph form and you can see the trends in the graphs. Then if u think its worth having a look u can decide the click either the 3 hr or 24 hr map from the stats page.
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK2KRR wrote:...I'd probably suggest linking it to the stats pages more than anything, because...
Good idea.
Done!
ZL3OZ
Forum Novice

Post by ZL3OZ »

Hi Folk
I think this AIS might be the answer for now re early warning of VHF DX, be it Tropo or Es.
Timaru receiving station (East coast mid south island. mt studholm 4000ft ASL) received two vessels off VK2 a few days back.
This in view of all the Lo VHF TV stations being switched off there will be a severe shortage of early warning for me who relies heavily on Aussy Ch2 TV video.

However it appears a very messy and slow website. Still trying to come to grips with it.

See you.
Ken
ZL3OZ
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Ken

Its not all that tricky or messy. If I get a chance I can try make up a few instructional diagrams and information etc.

It can take a little while to bring up maps on the site, but its not usually excessive. Obviously will depend on your connection speed and computer speed.

If ur trying to figure out something on the site, just ask and im sure someone can help u out with an answer.
VK3JTM
Forum Novice

Post by VK3JTM »

VK2KRR wrote:Well, after about 7 months of checking VK3JTM marine tracking stats for any good openings, and having virtually nothing for that whole time, this morning when I had a look my eyeballs went like this - :shock: !!!

Check this out.. this is what Tim's marine tracking picked up last night and this morning under some excellent tropo conditions!
VK3JTM261112.JPG
Thats awesome.

Fingers crossed for a few more Tim :mrgreen:
I have now had some very good opening so I have made a AIS page with map updates every 5 Min, the link is http://www.araratweather.com.au/vk3jtm/ais.html so if any one is interested in what I am seeing you can see it live there.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Excellent work Tim, thats really handy :mrgreen:
9A4CU
Forum Novice

Post by 9A4CU »

Nice openings accross the Tasman last days.
Attachments
untitled.JPG
VK2DVZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DVZ »

This is what the Port Macquarie AIS station plotted during the recent Tasman Sea opening.
Attachments
Jan 2013, AIS Port Macquarie.JPG
Ross, VK2DVZ
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Rare for me to hear King Island Lighthouse on marine tracking, but it does happen some times.
Thought I'd post up a map of what im hearing here this morning as at 7am, sun has just come up.
Conditions are pretty good to Melbourne area, though was probably better yesterday morning.
Shipplotter map
Shipplotter map
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Marine tracking stats graphs taking shape well here showing the rise and fall of tropo conditions over the different seasons. You can see in these two graphs from my stats, that last year the conditions appeared to peak around April and then drop off through winter and peaked again around late December, January.
The Ships Daily graph is about general volume of signals. Majority of my signals come from the Melbourne direction, with rare cases to the west and SW.
The Area Daily graph, tends to show when the longer distancea and more wide spread openings occurred. The very big peak between Dec and Feb was the monster duct day on 2nd Jan, where I had sigs spread right from Melbourne to Mt Gambier to Adelaide to Esperance.
Ships daily
Ships daily
Area daily
Area daily
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Pretty good opening Melbourne direction this morning, thought I would share what the screen looks like. Normally the map is pretty blank. Nearly 4000 signals this morning so far. Max distance is 602 km to Portland Lighthouse, which I've not shown on this screen. But King Island Lighthouse is about 560km.
VK2KRR Marine Tracking screen morning 091214
VK2KRR Marine Tracking screen morning 091214
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

Test for Leigh
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Admin

Yes I did the subscription email for this one.