AIS Marine Traffic Tracking (tropo indicator)

AIS specific discussion
VK2KRR

Re: AIS Marine Traffic Tracking (tropo indicator)

Post by VK2KRR »

Here is Phil VK5AKK's stats page, snap shot taken about 0020 utc Sunday morning. Just thought I would highlight the upward trend in Phils graphs overnight, starting to pick up from around 1500 utc.
Phils max distance has picked up to over 100nm area, which is not all that significant, but better than what it has been running at.
The bigger indicator in this case is in the lower graph showing area covered in square km. This has really built up from around 1000 sq/km to around 3500 sq/km. Only around 1000 sq/km down from his Dec/Jan peaks.
VK5AKK stats
VK5AKK stats
9A4CU
Forum Novice

Post by 9A4CU »

Is he really on 530 m ASL? Maybe, would be better to put some sort of yagi towards coast of VK5 -VK6.I wish I live that high above the sea level not about 60 meters and catching signal between tall buildings :( :cry:
Surprisingly,this summer my reception was worse than last year although temps are scorching every single day above 34 C.Use to see much better reception as soon as sun goes down or early in the morning but not this summer for some reason.We have not seen some rain for more than month now. What a bl..hell is going on?
VK6TU
Forum Novice

Post by VK6TU »

Leigh and all,
Check out the AIS for Dampier and VK6HV some good distances today, close to the norther islands and we are hearing a Repeater from YB on the same freq as 6RWR

Repeater Call sign in voice is YB9ZTP not sure if it ends with a B or P sounds like a P :?:
Any idea where this repeater is located?

73 fro Michael
VK6BHY
NWWA
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

9A4CU - Yes Phil is really at 530 masl. He is in a great location, amazing views. From what I've heard, I think Phil may be working on a directional antenna but am not sure where he is up to with that. His co-linear antenna he has strung up in a tree has heard around 2700 km west, quite amazing. Im sure he could get something over 3000 Km with a yagi one day.
I think that many locations around the world are all finding that the tropo has been fairly bad over the past few years. Hard to say what will happen. In contrast we have had to much rain here, it wouldn't worry me if there was no rain till Christmas here.

VK6BHY, Michael, tnx for the heads up on VK6HV, some nice distances up there. Cant help you with info about the repeater you mentioned. I see you have mentioned this in a post from last year, seems like a more common DX one from up there. Maybe Gary VK8AW may have some info ? Keep us posted on that one.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Just found a new station - Gulf of Carpentaria
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/statio ... eader=true
No data yet, will keep an eye on it though, it would be an interesting one to see what comes in there.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

A new receive station located at Bribie Island could be an interesting one if it gets going.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Have noticed a new station possibly just on air from today from VK2AAR near Newcastle. Station number 695.

Currently hearing out to about 1152 Km, a ship almost mid way between Tasmania and NZ.
VK2AAR 1152 km spots
VK2AAR 1152 km spots
9A4CU
Forum Novice

Post by 9A4CU »

Yes, really great reception .We should find out information of his antenna,reckon.A few more VK station has been registered but nothing to see "on the air" from gulf of Carpentaria,Thursday island,Launceston...Hope to see something soon from those promising locations for AIS. :roll:
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Check this out... about 2.14 am after turning my antenna a little further south from the Adelaide area signals.. already over 1020 km, I was able to get a number of signals from ship Zheng Kai, just south of Albany at 2627 Km :!: You beauty!!
Zheng Kai 1
Zheng Kai 1
Zheng Kai 2
Zheng Kai 2
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

And another good one! New Glory, in the middle of the Bight at 1581 Km.
New Glory
New Glory
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

ANy time I turn on 2M in a high or 70cm I can work esperance and we see analog tv all the time.
And trigger repeaters over there but no one ever replies.
Is there something new in these reports that increases or knowledge about VHF prop?
Since 1974 so I dont bother these days.
Would you like my TV reports across the bight? It would bore you to tears.
Did you know that Casey Base hears MIX FM on 88.9 from Hamilton on occasions at 4000 km?

Which has a beam array 6db aimed at Portalnd 210 degrees and runs 60kw erp
Tread your own path :om:
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Was alerted today to some good tropo path maps from the stations in NW VK6 today. The station at Exmouth (207) and VK6HV near Karratha both have spots showing on their past 24 hour maps, around and just north of Bali on the maps. If you ever wondered what it would be like up there when you see the quite severe tropo showing on Hepburn, these two stations give you a good idea.
Attached is the 24 hour map of station 207 Exmouth.
St 207
St 207
9A4CU
Forum Novice

Post by 9A4CU »

Yes,almost the same reception from both stations.Look like sprinkler set at Bali and opened to south.Not much to see towards west or northwest.Maybe in coming warmer months. :cry:
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5BC »

VK3ZAZ wrote:ANy time I turn on 2M in a high or 70cm I can work esperance and we see analog tv all the time.
And trigger repeaters over there but no one ever replies.
Is there something new in these reports that increases or knowledge about VHF prop?
Since 1974 so I dont bother these days.
I very much doubt what you say Steve, yes it normally requires a high across the bight but conditions can be very sensitive as to how or low the high pressure cell is in the bight and the actual pressure of the cell and probably along with many other things such as the moisuure in the atmospere etc and openings don't occur everytime a high exists in the bight. Like many others I 1st worked into VK6 in late 1960's using 2m AM but it doesn't mean I know all about propogation across the bight and that there isn't new things to be learnt about tropo propogation so I welcome all these new indicators that can assist in improving our knowledge in this area. The other factor is that the futher you go inland at either end the harder it beocmes and it is a big acheivement for Leigh to receive the indicators he does and to have made very significant contacts into VK6 over the last 10 years.

Steve please become a little more positive about new initiatives & technologies such as WSPR, JT65 & AIS etc which are enhancing our knowledge and preceeeding new acheivements.

73 Brian
VK5BC
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK5BC wrote:Steve please become a little more positive about new initiatives & technologies such as WSPR, JT65 & AIS etc which are enhancing our knowledge and preceeeding new acheivements.
Agreed. The old adage "if you don't have anything nice to say..." applies.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

VK5BC wrote:I very much doubt what you say Steve
Also just as a matter of interest, there are no repeaters at Esperance and has not been for 10 years at least.
And there are no 2 & 70 operators there to work either.

It would be very nice if there was.
9A4CU
Forum Novice

Post by 9A4CU »

I came across this "pile-up" of superyachts anchored off Monte Carlo,Monaco during Monaco Yacht Show today.It is not tropo but would like to see them on my AIS receiver during tropo. :roll:
Attachments
monaco.JPG
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

Thanks for this thread, and your enthusiasm!

AIS is a great system, and it certainly can be interesting watching the enhanced propagation. I use it professionally - my company is in partnership with another company that makes man overboard devices using AIS.

A 1w tx and a GPS rx in a small floating beacon that you clip to your lifejacket.

Ships use their ID number on AIS - known as a Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI).

Here is some more info - off my company website:

Maritime Mobile Service Identities (MMSI)

All DSC equipment is programmed with a unique nine digit identification number, known as a Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI).

The MMSI is sent automatically with each and every DSC transmission made.

Maritime Identification Digits (MID)

The first three digits of the MMSI are known as the Maritime Identification Digits (MID). The MID represents the country of registration of the vessel, or the country in which the DSC shore station is located. MIDs are allocated on an international basis by the ITU, in much the same way as a callsign prefix.

The MID list may be found here .

Formation of MMSI's

MMSIs allocated to merchant vessels are normally allocated with three trailing zero's.

Those allocated to recreational craft have two or one trailing zero, Coast Station MMSI's are formed with two leading zero's, those allocated to SAR aircraft use 111 as the first three digits, hand held radios have 8 as a leading digit and Man Overboard beacons have their own code structure, starting with 972.

For example:

Typical Australian merchant vessel MMSI- 503001000

where:

503 is the Australian MID;
and
01000 is the individual ship number

Typical Australian recreational vessel MMSI - 503000100

where:

503 is the Australian MID;
and
000100 is the individual ship number

Coast Station MMSI - 005030001

where:

503 is the Australian MID; and
0001 is the individual Coast Station number

SAR aircraft MMSI - 111503123

where:

123 is the individual aircraft number

Hand held radio with DSC MMSI - 850312345

where:

12345 is the individual radio number

Typical DSC man overboard beacon - 972450001

where:

972 is the DSC MoB code;
45 is the manufacturer code
and
0001 is the individual beacon number

MMSI databases

The ITU operate an international web-based data base of MMSI's, known as the Maritime Mobile Access and Retrieval System (MARS).
Here: http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/index.asp?cate ... rs&lang=en

Glenn VK4DU
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Glen,

Thanks for your very informative post! This really helps to understand how all those MMSI are allocted.