AIS Marine Traffic Tracking (tropo indicator)

AIS specific discussion
ZL1UJG
Frequent Poster

Re: AIS Marine Traffic Tracking (tropo indicator)

Post by ZL1UJG »

Hi,
I can hear the squelch break quite frequently, and when listening on SSB, can hear the data bursts, so a few more dB is needed to get regular decodes. (The AF is going straight to the external sound card from the demodulator.)
I have the vertical on a small 0.9m J pole connected to the side of the shed, so will purchase a longer unit (2m) to raise the antenna to around normal roof height, which should give me several more dB. Living in a urban area, the antenna is sort of buried at the moment... :(
The other things I can do is to run the LNA off 13.8v, as at the moment it is run off the internal 11 volts of the FRG8800, which is more like 10v at the antenna connector. This will raise the gain a little (~ 1dB) and the last thing is to shorten the RG58 coax, which is meandering around the shack, (I could probably drop length 4 or 5 metres). These two items will only affect the performance marginally, but its the incremental changes that add up.

Kevin
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Kevin,

My set up is different to yours but I did find that the addition of a pre-amp really helped get more decodes.
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

Hi Kevin,

I'm using a 4 element collinear antenna, a preamp and also a 2MHz bandwidth bandpass filter. I live about a 1 km from a 2kW FM broadcast station and a few paging sites. The preamp without the filter ended in tears.

Download a copy of 4NEC2 and have some fun designing and building antennas.

Allan
VK2EFM
Attachments
My antenna on the handrail of the front deck.
My antenna on the handrail of the front deck.
ZL1UJG
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1UJG »

Hi Leigh,
I run a homebrew preamp using a BF988 Mosfet, driving into a double-tuned circuit very loosely coupled together. -3 dB BW is from 156-162 MHz, with max gain of +15 dB. Tests at home with a signal generator and sound card showed about a 5 or 6 dB improvement in the receiver FM limiting threshold. From memory it went from -122 dBm (~ 0.18 uV) to ~ -128 dBm (~0.09uV) all +/-.
I doubt if I would hear anything otherwise.

You say on the website, you run a Garex Marine band preamp, how do you find that?

The signals I heard at work sounded pretty clear, with a recent model commercial handheld on a external dipole antenna.
At home I am hearing quite a reasonable number of AIS data bursts, so just need a few more dB to pull them out of the noise. With the FM threshold effect a 1 dB or 2 improvement at RF may make considerably more improvement at AF, until the knee flattens out.

A friend of mine has offered his 1.8m hockey stick, which will help with getting the antenna up.

The other solution of course is to buy a house on top of a large hill, which will help immensely... :D

Many decades ago I lived in the UK and spent many evening on 2M from what would be described as a "bath-tub" location in South Oxfordshire, but I persevered and worked reasonable DX. Others worked much further of course, but I probably learnt more...
During the day, I worked for one of the Racal Communications companies and learnt a lot over the 10 years I worked for them.
I better stop waffling...

Hi Allan,
What frequency is the paging over there? Over here it is just below 158 MHz, in the middle of the marine frequencies. I guess if I retuned the preamp so that it covered 162 to 168 MHz I could get some rejection of the pagers, but it doesnt affect me.
The line input to the external soundcard, definitely made a big difference to decoding errors on signals

Nice antenna. The antenna currently is a 1/2 wave ground independent whip antenna, which appears to be ok, but will see what is needed later.

Kevin
ZL1UJG
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1UJG »

Hi,
Getting decodes of odd ships off Tauranga/ Mount Maunganui (East coast) over the last few days. This is ~ 100km over a mountain range, so am pleased... :D
I have elevated the 1/2 wave antenna about 4m up. That direction is not good for me as its straight through an evergreen tree of very significant height in a neighbours section.
I might look at making a small yagi, for probing at other directions

Kevin
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Kevin

I find the Garex preamp is really good. Its kinda hard to know whats going on though with my set up with the Comar SLR200N because you dont have any audio to go by. Flying blind really. Sometimes I get a bit concerned and plug the coax into the IC910 and tune up to the AIS freqs or listen to other near by services to make sure signals still getting through OK.

Well done on your ship decodes so far, thats encouraging for you. A few more improvements may help make it more consistant. Be interesting when the tropo picks up.
Also keep in mind as we approach summer, that reception of 162 MHz marine tracking will work via sporadic E if the MUF gets up enough. I was able to pick up a few last summer and ive seen others on the maps that showed E signals also.
ZL1UJG
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1UJG »

Hi Leigh,
It was quiet the last few days, but getting the antenna up a little more, now seems to show that there is a hot spot near Tauranga which seems to give decodes.
I think there is far more traffic, as the syncs number about 100 for these decodes. If I can get those undecoded signals out of the noise a little more, then can see where they are from. I can hear the blips of the data, but most dont decode...

Yes not having access to audio, would be a bit of a worry, as one couldnt tell if the preamp has gone south, or some other fault. In NZ the paging is inside the marine frequency band so can tell pretty quick whether receiver is ok, by listening to that and also seeing the S-meter.

It will be interesting to see whether I can decode any ships when they appear off the west coast.

Changing the AF to a line input (Ext USB soundcard) plus a few other tweaks seem to have done it for me, but still a bit of optimising to do, even without working on a Yagi.

Kevin
ZL1UJG
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1UJG »

Hi,
I have modified a NZ TV 4-11 Channel 5 Element Yagi into a 4 element 162 MHz Yagi, by replacing and remounting new reflector and driven elements onto the boom. The folded dipole was extended using oversize Aluminium tube as joiner barrels which were then riveted to extensions on the original driven element.
The best return loss sits a little high at about 164 MHz, (-20 dB ~ 1.22) but the match at 162 is quite usable (-12 dB, 1.62)
I am getting decodes off ships in port in Tauranga, whereas previously it was ships approaching. The decode count appears to have gone up.

I am pointed to Auckland to see if any decodes appear. I have had decodes from Auckland but it was during an enhancement. However I did see some decodes off the coast, west of Auckland last night, with ShipPlotter

A question. Has anyone run AISmon and ShipPlotter in parallel? I suspect I am getting better decodes off Shipplotter, but am not uploading the data from that software currently.

Kevin
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

This is Kevin ZL1UJG marine traffic stats page -
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/statio ... eader=true

Logging a few spots at times there Kevin as you slowly improve the station, well done. Cant help u with the AISmon stuff.

Cant remember if I previously posted stats pages for more new stations, two in fact, in some very handy locations, both access to the Bight path -

VK3ZQB Port Fairy - http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/statio ... eader=true
VK5ZAI Kingston SE - http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/statio ... eader=true

Ones to watch to help u identify how good or bad the condx are.
Last edited by VK2KRR on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZL1UJG
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1UJG »

Hi,
The links all appeared to point to me. These are the corrected ones
Kevin
VK2KRR wrote:This is Kevin ZL1UJG marine traffic stats page -
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/statio ... eader=true

Logging a few spots at times there Kevin as you slowly improve the station, well done. Cant help u with the AISmon stuff.

Cant remember if I previously posted stats pages for more new stations, two in fact, in some very handy locations, both access to the Bight path -

VK3ZQB Port Fairy - http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/statio ... eader=true

VK5ZAI Kingston SE - http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/statio ... eader=true

Ones to watch to help u identify how good or bad the condx are.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Doh! Thanks for picking that up Kevin, ive edited my post also now.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

A new COMAR (edit) SLR200N AIS receiver was installed today at the VK5RBV repeater site, it is registered on the marinetraffic site as "VK5RBV".

Thanks to the cub members who showed up on the day (Sunday 25th Nov) to do the install and some local maint of the site, 11 people at the site would have to be a record in recent times.

Antenna is a 1/4 wave GP at present at about 40' which gives it a magnificant view of the coast to our west and a good shot towards the Victorian coast.

More news when we have it.

Peter Sumner, vk5pj
on behalf of the Baroass Amateur Radio Club
Last edited by VK5PJ on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

This is the link to the VK5RBV AIS stats page on Marine Traffic.com
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/statio ... on_id=1376

Also I think Pete meant to say Comar SLR200N. Not Conan.
9A4CU
Forum Novice

Post by 9A4CU »

Glad to see a new AIS station on the web and quite good reception from VK5.Hope it will be 24/7...Congrats!
Attachments
vk5rbv.jpg
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Well, after about 7 months of checking VK3JTM marine tracking stats for any good openings, and having virtually nothing for that whole time, this morning when I had a look my eyeballs went like this - :shock: !!!

Check this out.. this is what Tim's marine tracking picked up last night and this morning under some excellent tropo conditions!
VK3JTM amazing DX
VK3JTM amazing DX
Thats awesome.

Fingers crossed for a few more Tim :mrgreen:
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Was informed today of another South Australian station setting up a marine tracking (aka tropo/Es monitoring) system.

Have to welcome Michael VK5ZEA to the ranks. Michael is at Port Lincoln, but I believe the receiver is at one of the repeater hill top sites.

The station number is 1250.
The link to its stats page is http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/statio ... on_id=1250

Now we just need to get Michael on 2m SSB :wink:
ZL3TY
Forum Novice

Post by ZL3TY »

Yesterday (monday) I installed a preamp on my AIS receiver and in the evening got signals from two ships in the Tasman, furthest being approx 400km NW of here. One finally disappeared as it approached Farewell spit on the way to Nelson. Not sure if it was coincidence that I had just added the preamp, but at least it confirmed the preamp works.

Now waiting for something a bit further afield

Bob ZL3TY
Bob
Greymouth RE57om
9A4CU
Forum Novice

Post by 9A4CU »

What a hell is going on overhere at my place tonight?! I am receiving late tonight, after 9 PM coastal stations all around italian coast;Trieste,Venezia ,Ravenna,Ancona,Bari,Genova,Napoli,Cagliari,Palermo etc. Even stations from islands Sardinia and Sicily !All together 24 stations and not a single ship between my antenna and them.Just ships around my location up to 30-40 miles.I have been running AIS station for 6 years now and never seen anything like this.Right now in winter season at midnight they are still visible in shiplotter.I would rather to see ships at those distances than coastal stn.
Attachments
ais-04-01-2013.JPG
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Wow thats interesting! What was your marine tracking station number again ?
9A4CU
Forum Novice

Post by 9A4CU »

My station id is 179 and you can see similar experience by the guys from Koper in Slovenia if you visit page
http://bedanec.agotech.com/AIS/AIS.PHP Theirs station is more than 1000 meters above sea level (ID 44).
Attachments
S5-ais.JPG