Directive Systems 23cm loop yagi ordering?

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK2GOM

Directive Systems 23cm loop yagi ordering?

Post by VK2GOM »

Since Directive Systems won't provide postage quotes, has anyone in VK successfully bought one of their loop yagi antennas for 23cm? What was the shipping method/cost?

I did a quick query on UPS.com and the psotage turned out nearly twice the cost of the antenna :shock:

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
vk1da
Forum Diehard

Re: Directive Systems 23cm loop yagi ordering?

Post by vk1da »

One of the vk1s bought a loop yagi a few years ago. I think he got a box of elements from DS and bought the boom locally.

Andrew Davis VK1DA & VK2UH
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vk1da.info vkfaq.ampr.org vk9na.com
Andrew Davis VK1DA Canberra, VK2UH Yass
http://vkfaq.ampr.org
http://vk1da.net
http://vk9na.com
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Thanks for the info Andrew. I'd need to know the exact box dimensions to get a postage quote though, and Dir/Sys don't give quotes or whatever, to keep costs down and don't have an admin dept. Catch 22.

I might try and find a more local antenna, or perhaps do the mother-in-law (Florida) buy and re-send trick :D

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Rob,

I bought 2 of these 23CM loop yagis and 2CMP also got 2. DS made a boom for us that would break in shorter pieces for postage. 2CMP handled the shipping conact him: vk2CMP@me.com and I am sure he wil have the paper work still. He is currently trying to source a few replacement bits for one of these after a winch cable snapped.

Compton
VK2HRX
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Chaps, thanks for the replies.

I read the Spectrum antennas review in its entirety some time ago. It looks well made, and I emailed the chap who made them. He had just moved QTH's and wasn't in a position to make them at that time, not least without a long waiting time.

I have heard other responses via PM that the loop antennas in general aren't that great, and better performance can come from a regular Yagi. Someone pointed me to Wimo.de but again, high prices and killer postage.

I built myself a 16ele Yagi based on a Yagi design program a few weeks ago, but can't seem to get any performance out of it at all. I can hear the Sydney beacon S7 to S8, but when it comes to making contacts, no luck at all. Even to local stations. I can't hear them, they can't hear me. Since I have no means of measuring RF at 23cm (nor is there a reasonably priced accurate commercial solution), I am simply looking for a commercial antenna that I can have confidence in that it works; bolt it up and forget about it almost.

Or if anyone knows of any tried/tested designs for fwd/ref power meters for 23cm, please let me know!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3PF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PF »

Rob,

How well stocked is your bookshelf? Do you have (or can you gain access to) the older RSGB VHF/UHF Handbook, or the RSGB Microwave Handbook? From memory, they both had designs for microstrip directional couplers for 23 cm. Good information in RSGB Microwave Handbook Volume 2 Chapter 10.

There should be other information on the web.

Another option is to find a directional coupler ex Mobile 'phone base stations. These are typically designed to run at around 800-900 MHz, but seem to work OK at 23 cm. I have seen some with forward and reflected ports, with SMA connectors. All that you would need to do is to build 2 identical power detectors and a suitable metering circuit. Next step would be to calibrate the whole system, which needs access to someone with known good gear who knows what they are doing. But at least the system would give you relative performance. Here is one example:
Directional Coupler
Directional Coupler
If you cannot find a description for a coupler, drop me a direct email and I will see what I can find for you.

Good luck,

Peter VK3PF
Last edited by VK3PF on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. Being British, I have some RSGB handbooks!

I will take a look in there. I have just before reading your reply been scouring eBay for directional couplers funnily enough. Two port devices are hard to find, and some carry monstrous price tags.

In the meantime I will have a read. It'd be interesting to find out what the issues are with my antenna, or even the radio. I still haven't confirmed my radio produces RF... :oops:

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK4APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4APN »

I have a spare PCB for a 1296mhz directional coupler - I originally made it for my 1296 transverter, so made up the complete blank board. It is made from 0.8mm FR4 kinsten board. 3 have been built and all work well.
I only have 1 left - it is very simple SMD I will give you the parts too if you need them. Gratis. You will need a meter, switch & pot.

Let me know

VK2GOM wrote:Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. Being British, I have some RSGB handbooks!

I will take a look in there. I have just before reading your reply been scouring eBay for directional couplers funnily enough. Two port devices are hard to find, and some carry monstrous price tags.

In the meantime I will have a read. It'd be interesting to find out what the issues are with my antenna, or even the radio. I still haven't confirmed my radio produces RF... :oops:

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
Attachments
coupler.jpg
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Paul, I have just sent you a PM.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

I can send you a Cellwave directional coupler too Rob.
You can even have the detector circuit with it. It runs on 24VDC.
Nice little digital SWR readout.
VK4APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4APN »

VK2GOM wrote:Hi Paul, I have just sent you a PM.
73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
Hi Rob

Posted PCB, layout info and SMD parts to you this morning.
Good Luck with it.

Paul vk4apn

PS if for some reason you do not build it up please pass on to another interested person!!
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Paul,

That's great - many thanks. I have just got hold of a nice Watts/SWR legend panel meter from some old Lafayette gear to build it up.

VK2XSO has also offered me another solution, which I will also get going. It will mean there will be no shortage of 23cm SWR measuring gear for amateurs in and around QF56!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2CMP
Forum Novice

Post by VK2CMP »

Hey there,

to the question of postage from Directive Systems. I purchased 4 off 55el 1296 Mhz loop yagi's plus power dividers and the postage was surprisingly good. Dave from Directive makes 4 part booms for export orders to keep the postage down. From memory it was less than $100 for the four units.

The advantage of the Directive Systems loop yagi's was the 55 vs 45 elements for that extra gain, build quality was excellent and the cost was very competitive. The performance is great and they are made by someone with lots of expertise in the antenna biz and they also have good power dividers etc.

cheers
Mick
VK2CMP
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Just to update an existing thread...

Directive System had a change of ownership in the last 18 months, and are now very easy to deal with, unlike the previous owner.
(Who refused to supply shipping quotes - customers with money getting in the way, imagine that!)
They now accept PayPal.

FYI, for any individual, or small groups, looking for the DS 23cm loop yagi antenna kits.
An email on 18/3/2014 to Directive Systems wrote:Hi Terry

My last purchase from you was quick and easy via PayPal – many thanks.

I am enquiring about the availability of 2325LYK loop yagis kit.
(1270 – 1300 MHz, 25 element, center mount)

Just checking the price on your website (Dec-31, 2013) is still correct @ USD$112 ea.

Would you be kind enough to determine postage for:
1 unit only
2 units together, sent to the same address
3 units together, sent to the same address
4 units together, sent to the same address
5 units together, sent to the same address

I’m assuming there’s a sweet spot where a number of us can benefit from combined shipping.

One payment to you (irrespective of final qty) via PayPal.

Cheers,
Adam, VK4GHZ
The prompt reply;
Directive Systems wrote:Hi Adam,
The antennas are $111.95 each for the kits. Shipping approximate costs are below via USPS.

$50 1 unit only
$65 2 units together, sent to the same address
$83 3 units together, sent to the same address
$102 4 units together, sent to the same address
$122 5 units together, sent to the same address

Margie Price, K4MEP
Marketing Manager
Directive Systems and Engineering
703-754-3876
As you can see, you can save around USD$25 each in shipping, if you can organise 3 or 4 of your mates for a small group buy.

I already have a loop yagi and do not need another one, (read as: do not involve me!).
http://www.directivesystems.com/

Posted in an attempt to lead horses to water!
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Rob,

I'll join-in an order for loop Yagis, if you are taking up that option.

I have a slug for my Bird 43 that covers 23 cm if you want to get some reasonably accurate PWR/SWR measurements.
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Roger,

I built a 40ele Yagi in the end with a WiMo folded dipole. It's been out on Field days and it seems to work, although I have no idea how well :shock: Your Bird slug might be useful one day if we are out /P somewhere with it set up. No room for the antenna at home.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

Hmm, I might be tempted here. I was looking at the WiMo dipole/homebrew route, but these look reasonabilly priced.

If I do, I'll be looking at the:

2324LYRMK - 24 el 1250-1300 Mhz rear mount KIT version $112.00

Jayson
VK1JA
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

They will supply a kit without the boom which decreases the postage. Buy the boom locally.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

VK4WDM wrote:They will supply a kit without the boom which decreases the postage. Buy the boom locally.

Wayne VK4WDM
Is the boom that is supplied pre-drilled with element mounting points?
If not, then I guess a locally purchased boom wud be the go, presuming of course that the instructions are sufficiently detailed.
Apart from decreased postage, is there any decrease in antenna cost??
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

VK6OX wrote:
VK4WDM wrote:Is the boom that is supplied pre-drilled with element mounting points?
If not, then I guess a locally purchased boom wud be the go, presuming of course that the instructions are sufficiently detailed.
Apart from decreased postage, is there any decrease in antenna cost??
From looking through a few of their install instructions for the kit versions and non-kit versions, it appears that the kit version includes the (pre drilled) boom, but none of the elements are assembled - certainly not the driven element anyway. The non-kit version looks like it's almost fully assembled, and you just need to join the booms together (they come in 2 or more pieces?).

I'd like to get confirmation on this though, as drilling a round boom accurately (within 1mm) and keeping the elements aligned would be a right pain in the backside for me!!