Power pole maintenance

Electromagnetic Compatibility, TVI, BCI, etc Interference Issues
VK2KRR

Power pole maintenance

Post by VK2KRR »

I was going to mention this last week, but was only just reminded.

Did people, particularly in VK3 see the TV news last week about power companies roles in causing bushfires due to lack of pole maintenance and how they are getting hauled over the coals over it and sued for damages etc?

I think this could be a good thing which will not only help stop potential fire starting hazards, but also assist radio operators in having noisy/sparking power poles fixed up. And possibly more poles maintained properly in the first place before needing to report them.

Higher power bills helping to pay for the maintenance though, but at least it will be reducing RF noise.
VK2GOM

Re: Power pole maintenance

Post by VK2GOM »

My only thoughts are the maintenance should come out of their already gagantuan profits. Charging more when they realise their infrastructure is suddenly no good is not the consumer's problem... maintenance should have been factored into the plan from the outset, not just the 'she'll be right' attitude and reaping the profits until something goes wrong.

I can imagine how reluctant the companies would be to do the work though, given the uphill struggle I had from the outset to get noisy pole hardware sorted.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH