LDF1-50 1/4" Heliax availability?

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK2GOM

LDF1-50 1/4" Heliax availability?

Post by VK2GOM »

Just wondering if anyone knows any suppliers of Heliax LDF1-50? (the 1/4" stuff).

I think it would be a terrific upgrade from my RG58 run up to my vertical. I need about 25m.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3ZYC
Forum Novice

Re: LDF1-50 1/4" Heliax availability?

Post by VK3ZYC »

Try RFI melb or sydney PH 03 9751 7500 (melb office)
we buy in 10m lengths
buy the n connectors at the same time or you can get sma connectors if preferred
jim
vk3zyc
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Thanks Jim - I have sent the Sydney branch an email.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

The hunt continues...

RF Industries no help at all, apart from interrogating me in email exchanges about me, my line of business, my ABN, my website etc. etc. All I want is to buy some heliax for crying out loud! :twisted:

So I am still looking for an outlet that will sell me some - hopefully with minimal interrogation.

As a slight aside, why does Australia make things so complicated?!!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK2GOM wrote:The hunt continues...

RF Industries no help at all, apart from interrogating me in email exchanges about me, my line of business, my ABN, my website etc. etc. All I want is to buy some heliax for crying out loud! :twisted:

So I am still looking for an outlet that will sell me some - hopefully with minimal interrogation.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
If I understand correctly, Jim said he buys in 10m lengths so perhaps the Melbourne branch is more helpful.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Now chasing a crowd in Penrith that are meant to be Andrews resellers.

Filled in their 'web form' and now await their response!

In the meantime, just looking at it on a USA website ham radio shop for $0.95c a metre! I'll compare prices!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

hopefully with minimal interrogation.

Maybe they were trying to see if you qualified for trade prices? They might have been trying to help you....

Compton
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Compton, no - only after my interrogation they told me they were wholesalers only and I must go elsewhere. They wouldn't sell to me.

Might be just best to stick to RG58, turn the pre-amp gain up a bit, and run more power! :lol:

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3PF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PF »

Hi Rob,

It might be worth posting a "Wanted" advert on VK Classifieds - you never know what might turn up.
I got some FSJ150 (aka LDF150) a couple of years back at Wyong for a song, so there are some people out there who can source it.
I have not checked the specs etc, but perhaps one of the smaller LMR cables might be an option, such as LMR195 or LMR240? MiniKits has LMR240 at $1.95/m. Cheaper per metre at the RFShop, but they only sell at as a 305 m roll. There should be other sources as well.

Good luck with your hunt.

Regards,

Peter VK3PF
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. Looking at the specs though, LDF1-50 is in the same low loss category as LMR400. The loss slides away quite quickly as the LMR diameters come back towards RG58.

The main issue is diameter to allow it to slip between wall gaps in our rental property, but after discussions with Owen VK1OD this evening I may have stumbled up on a solution that involves a drill bit, and peeling back the corner of the carpet in adjacent rooms :D

In which case I could probably use the easier to obtain larger diameter LMR400. Hopefully the house owner isn't a VKx and reading this :shock:

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

Rob....

I thought you knew I had tons of LMR400 ?? I have commented about it a number of times on these forums etc
much better loss wise than 1-50 :)

cheers
Dave
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Dave,

The figures I have show the two are pretty much the same, loss wise, but of course one is a smaller diameter.

I knew you had loads of coax, but didn't realise it was quality stuff! I will email you.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK7JG

Post by VK7JG »

Hi Rob.
Have you had a look at the specs for "Celfoil" RFI part number 9006 . Although the same size as RG58 it has about half the loss . Nearly as good as RG213 for short runs.

Joe