Hills Winch-up Wind load

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK4TS

Hills Winch-up Wind load

Post by VK4TS »

Does anyone have details of the Hills Winchup (100 footer) wind-load capacity ? The one with the 'steps' up the sides and the central pin pivot base..need to know if it can handle 10 Sq. Ft. @ 125 MPH

I have searched the Hills website and cant find it ..want to know what is feasible to stack on top of one in a relatively high wind area..

Thanks in advance

VK4TI
Last edited by VK4TS on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Re: Hills Winch-up Wind load

Post by VK2AAH »

Trent,

We had the exact same tower on the roof of our building at work until about 2 years ago when I managed its replacement- I think I scanned the Hills specs & have it on the network at work. I'll email it to you.

All I can say is that they are remarkably hardy because this old beast of a tower should have fallen down years before it got replaced!

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

Thanks Richard

vk4ti@wia.org.au

Regards

Trent
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Me very bad Trent... I didn't save a copy to our network BUT I have found someone with an original copy of what you are after. He is going to bring it to me to scan but I probably will not have this till the weekend.

I just hope you haven't acquired our old tower regalvanised... nah... I hope not as 20 years of Sydney air had not done it any favours.

Cheers,

Richard
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Trent

Will take the various Hills books I have to work and scan tomorrow for you That way between Richard and I you should get the one you're after.
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Justin

You do realise the amateur ethos.... "if it didn't blow down last storm, it just ain't big enough". You're not playing to the rules! :lol:

But, sure.... can do! :oops:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

Thanks guys - we are assessing the use for either large vertical or support for HF arrays.....the tower is in very good condition and been in the bush in QLD,
VK2JH

Post by VK2JH »

Hi Trent,

What local council are you in? I am sure that I will be able to see these towers from my QTH, so I had better put in a complaint!!!

Cheers,

John,
VK4JHC/VK2JH
Mt Hallen (forgotten my new locator :?: :?: )
VK8ZWM

Post by VK8ZWM »

Hi everyone,
Darwin Amateur radio club is looking for the engineering specs for a Hills 4 section winch up tower. I suspect its the same as earlier in the discussion.
We have one given to the club for its new home at knuckeys lagoons rec reserve. so if you have visited we are nearly no longer there.
if anyone can help with our details problem then post here or send to vk8zwm@wia.org.au. De spud president
VK6MB

Post by VK6MB »

G,day Spud,
Hope all is well up there.
As you can see I have returned to Amateur Radio

73 Mike Beall VK6MB