WSPR in general

WSPR discussion
VK3MJC

WSPR in general

Post by VK3MJC »

G'day.. 8)

What's the most popular band here in VK for WSPR? I've been watching VK2KRR's posts so I figured 10m looked like a winner.

Well, 10m and 20m had NOTHING.. Left the machine receiving for ~36 hours for each band, and got zip (actually, I tell a lie - I got VK3XPT from about 15km away on 10m :lol: )

Switched to 30m (I know I can't TX there, so it's only doing RX) had me receiving contacts from KC6KGE, K3GEN, ON5DC, N6GN & OE3KFB within minutes..

Maybe my 706 has gone deaf? Image

Go easy on me - I'm new to this.. :wink:
VK2GOM

Re: WSPR in general

Post by VK2GOM »

It all hinges on what propagation is happening at whatever time.

10m can really come alive when the band is open. Same on 20m. But, it has to be said, the most popular band for WSPR is 30m, globally.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Macca,

As Rob indicated, it depends on the propagation at the time. Time of day, solar figures etc. Also your noise levels, and antenna etc.

Im not sure I would say there is one most popular band for WSPR, a lot of people change bands with the different times of day etc.

Currently im only really looking at 40,20,15,10,6 m bands often, out of those I'd say 20m probably gets the most use. 10m does get a lot of users during daylight hours esp on weekends. Sometimes 160m gets a good following after dark.
Ive not looked at 30m for a while, but its the default band for the program etc and does seem to work really well too.

The 10m band has been very quiet this month, and you have to be there at the right times to get anything at this point, some days there is nothing.

20m has also been very tempramental, sometimes being very quiet of late also, but usually is some propagation from somewhere.

Depending on your antenna for 20m you should at least be able to hear locals at times, if not more.

If you need a hand, just ask.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

I find 30m quite good, and the occassional times I have left WSPR runing overnight on 40m it's amazing the reports coming in and going out.

The best way to judge the popularity of the bands and how propagation is on the band to look at the WSPR map http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map and then you will see what other VK's are on and how they are going.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

You could also have a look on the WSPR Statistics page http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/stats

I note that over the past 14 days, the 20m band has had about 50% of all spots recorded. Here is the pie graph :
WSPR pie
WSPR pie
VK3MJC

Post by VK3MJC »

Thanks guys..

Watching the map over at WSPRnet has been invaluable in being able to see how well each band is propagating and it's now starting to make sense. (well, as much sense as propagation makes anyway :wink: )

Still a bit miffed that I'm not hearing any VK's apart from VK6ZRY and VK3JNI.. :? Maybe it's time to build and hang a decent antenna instead of the "not quite resonant on 40m" dipole I've got not very far up in the air.. :oops:

Cheers

Macca.. 8)
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

I often get questions about what version of WSPR am I running, and find that many people use an older version.

So here is the link to WSPR version 2.21_r2286 http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar ... _r2286.EXE

This is a beta release and I dont think it was ever really advertised anywhere. I dont have any problems with this version, its quite stable on my computer.

I heard a whisper ( :? ) that a version 3 may be released soon. And some people are running it, but I dont know where to find that one just yet.
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all..

I read your post here Leigh, and thought what the hell I will update my WSPR...its been a while

so thanks for that Link..

A curious thing I noticed was, with nothing changed, radio the same no changes to the computer audio settings and the such when I was seeing if all was good with the program, that the RX noise level was up around 18db and i had to reduce the audio....

Maybe I had an unknown issue with my other version....

John
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi John

Im not sure, Ive used this version for quite a while, probably well over a year now.

I guess if its giving you more scope for audio adjustment, thats a good thing. I think its also got the TX Next button which I dont think earlier ones had.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK2FAK wrote: A curious thing I noticed was, with nothing changed, radio the same no changes to the computer audio settings and the such when I was seeing if all was good with the program, that the RX noise level was up around 18db and i had to reduce the audio....
and that is the reason I went back to version 2. Such a drastic difference in reported levels I was not comfortable with it, whereas the older version was working well still and I was happier with the audio level shown on screen and not enough modified to make me want to use the newer version.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK2KRR wrote: I heard a whisper ( :? ) that a version 3 may be released soon. And some people are running it, but I dont know where to find that one just yet.
Oh Leigh, you missed a golden opportunity there. You could have said you had heard a WSPR :lol:
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

I think the smiley face was used to indicate he was aware of the pun :)
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK2MIA wrote:I think the smiley face was used to indicate he was aware of the pun :)
Hi Geoff, yes but he still could have used WSPR and the smiley.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

I could edit it, but it just wouldn't be the same now.. :|
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Phil
VK6ADF wrote:
VK2FAK wrote: A curious thing I noticed was, with nothing changed, radio the same no changes to the computer audio settings and the such when I was seeing if all was good with the program, that the RX noise level was up around 18db and i had to reduce the audio....
and that is the reason I went back to version 2. Such a drastic difference in reported levels I was not comfortable with it, whereas the older version was working well still and I was happier with the audio level shown on screen and not enough modified to make me want to use the newer version.
Some where along the code path something did change in the reference levels of WSPR, I notice it quite markedly when I swap from WSPR to WSJT on the same radio, I am forced to go and fiddle with the input levels. It was not like this in the early version but I have become a fan of FREQ hopping in the newer WSPR, that I can not go back. It is quite fun to watch the old ICOM radio QSY-ing around the place :-) and you can easily define which bands you want to concentrate on (low bands for night and higher for day time)

I find that if in doubt, go to 30M and leave the radio there, as it has always been a reliable WSPR band for me.

Peter, vk5pj
Last edited by VK5PJ on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK6ADF wrote:Hi Geoff, yes but he still could have used WSPR and the smiley.
That would ruin the subtlety of the joke.
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

Raspberry Pi, Banana Pi, Cubie, ARM boards etc..

Due to a bug with "threads" WSPR will run for 10 hours then stop. Linux ARM, all flavours.

see my website: www.unixservice.com.au/hamradio/digital/wsjt-wsjtx.html

Alan VK2ZIW
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Latest trcik

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Running my FTDX3000 at 10 watts on 50 mhz
it finishes the sequence and the radio turns OFF
then radio }:[ turns back ON
and TX light flashes

WTF??

:think:
Tread your own path :om:
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

ok I would like to set up wspr does anyone have the settign for an ic 7100 and I cant find anything in the program. for the ic 7100.
thanks I am slow when it comes to this stuff once up and running i'll be ok :)
cheers
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK3MEG wrote:ok I would like to set up wspr does anyone have the settign for an ic 7100 and I cant find anything in the program. for the ic 7100.
thanks I am slow when it comes to this stuff once up and running i'll be ok :)
cheers
G'day Steve, Have a look here:

viewtopic.php?t=12800&p=51490
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv